Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

YouTube TV remains by far the best college football option even though it goes up every year. They don't seem to be having their annual dispute with Disney either.

poo poo, $75 a month. I may as well have cable at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I mean it is cable. It’s local channels + ESPN and 200 other channels you’ll never watch

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Unlimited DVR as well.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It’s weird, PS Vue had fully customizable multi view like 6 years ago.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

poo poo, $75 a month. I may as well have cable at that point.

It’s wildly better than cable just by virtue of the interface and being able to have it on a streaming stick or your laptop at work or a phone as opposed to being anchored to a giant DVR tuner.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Cable also has the downside of lots of fees tacked on. So the sticker price is usually not the real cost. I don't think that applies to streaming sites like YTTV.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

General Dog posted:

Goddamn I miss PS Vue

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

PSVue rules so hard

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I had PSVue too and loved it, I was so bummed they got rid of it

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Goddamn I miss PS Vue

Same here, every year football starts and I miss it desperately.

Adun posted:

That’s the same kind of wishful thinking that got the pac to where it is. They would get involved if there’s an actual super conference that guarantees a monopoly on college football eyeballs on Saturday but they’re not going to pay up for what will be at best the third best conference

Komet posted:

I think it's a tremendous mistake to move away from traditional over antenna networks and channels you can get on cable/DirectTV/streaming on YouTube/Sling/Hulu/whatever to a streaming-only platform like Apple or Amazon. A substantial portion of rural, college football watching America doesn't have broadband access (about 30% according to Pew: https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2021/08/19/some-digital-divides-persist-between-rural-urban-and-suburban-america/). My parents have DSL in WV but it's throttled so badly every evening that streaming Netflix buffers pretty frequently due to lack of infrastructural capacity. You cut a deal with a streaming platform and you lose a massive number of eyeballs. It's bad enough that some Big Ten games are cherry picked to go on Peacock only.

The number of streaming services is completely fragmented that I wouldn't be surprised if in 10-20 years content becomes reconsolidated.

Oh my point earlier was more that the economics of cable have been terrible for a while but we're finally reaching the tipping point where it's about to collapse or at least shift to being delivered via streaming first with terrestrial an also ran. ESPN for instance is either being set up for a sale or to shift to primarily digital, AMC is desperately trying to switch to digital, etc. That being the case, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the other big players in streaming start bidding on college football airing rights in an increasingly serious way in the near/mid term. Idk that it'll ever be solely streaming but it does seem like we're finally at cable's last few years here.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Goddamn I miss PS Vue

It was truly the best streaming tv interface and service. I wish Sony would license some of that tech of spin it off because every other streaming UI is absolute poo poo.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Neil Armbong posted:

It was truly the best streaming tv interface and service. I wish Sony would license some of that tech of spin it off because every other streaming UI is absolute poo poo.

Oh god this. Hulu live TV UI is awful. Though once it learns what you like the recommendations are spot on, so I barely interact with it anymore. The voice commands on an Apple TV work great too.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

drunk leprechaun posted:

Oh god this. Hulu live TV UI is awful. Though once it learns what you like the recommendations are spot on, so I barely interact with it anymore. The voice commands on an Apple TV work great too.

Yeah, it is pretty cool firing up Hulu and the exact sporting event I want to watch is always listed in the primary position.

Otherwise Hulu sucks poo poo

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

drunk leprechaun posted:

Oh god this. Hulu live TV UI is awful.

Beyond terrible. It looks and works like a UI designed by executives rather than UX engineers.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I had PS Vue for a long time too, but YouTube TV is a tremendously better interface with more/better DVR options. YouTube TV also works on all my devices and in my desktop web browser, and PS Vue only worked on my TV on Roku. Sometimes I watch games on my computer in my office when my wife wants to watch something in the living room. I couldn't do that before.

One of the downsides to YouTubeTV is that you can't stream it overseas, even with a VPN. I was all set up to watch games a year ago in Poland with NordVPN, but YouTube detected I was on a VPN and I was blacked out. Fortunately, the ESPN and CBS sports websites were too dumb to recognize this, and I was able to watch via logging in through my YouTubeTV Google account.

It's pretty standard to get blacked out from any streaming service overseas, but in the earliest days of the Big Ten Network streaming (before Fox took over), there were no restrictions whatsoever.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Beyond terrible. It looks and works like a UI designed by executives rather than UX engineers.

It's an app designed by a Digital Art intern that submitted it as their internship project.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I had to correct my father the other day and tell him that there being some Big 12 games paywalled online is Godless CAPITALISM, because a communist TV structure wouldn’t discriminate between schools.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Komet posted:

I had PS Vue for a long time too,

If PSVue were still around today it could probably stream from the future :pseudo:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
youtubetv isn't good, it's just the only viable option. streaming is in bad shape right now ...

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Sling Blue + the College Sports package has covered me p well for about 95% of the CFB I want to stream and thats about 50 a month and I don't have a million channels i'll never want to watch, just like a couple dozen. Sling's actual app is just kinda spotty on occasion I feel like as a streaming option I have more delivery issues with their content than I've seen on others (PPV quality being poo poo, a stream not loading, and its always about a min behind any other broadcast).

I do get every Pac 12 network so thats where they are lol

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

youtubetv isn't good, it's just the only viable option. streaming is in bad shape right now ...

Youtube TV is better than any conventional cable or streaming cable experience I've ever had.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Hulu UI is so bad it almost seems like a prank.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Do the SWAC and/or MEAC have national television deals? If not, it seems like it'd be smart for a service like ALLBLK or BET+ to invest since it'd fit right in with part of your core cultural programming and shouldn't be too expensive to acquire the rights. My D-III Radio TV Film department is able to produce multiple sports broadcasts per week with a fairly meagre budget, so this seems like a low risk proposition for those services.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

D.N. Nation posted:

Hulu UI is so bad it almost seems like a prank.

I could save a few bucks going with Hulu Live with Disney bundle we already have, but the UI was so bad I switched back to YouTube TV in less than a month. I do like that the YouTube DVR will automatically extend if a game runs long. Maybe it's better now but back when I had cable I had to tell it to record long and if something went to overtime then oh well.

I'm also with others lamenting the loss of PSVue, it really was the best for sports.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm just gonna watch whatever I can get on the over-the-air antenna and pirate the rest on my computer

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

General Dog posted:

Youtube TV is better than any conventional cable or streaming cable experience I've ever had.

the ux is objectively unintuitive
multiple passes just don't work sometimes, it's weird (this might be a skill issue for me i dont think so tho)
it has audio lag if you don't use their bespoke chrome browser
they offer a 4k option that applies to literally 3-4 channels lol it's wild
it costs a lot

the experience of dvring poo poo you like is nice. i'll give that one up, i guess. so it has 1 thing in its favor.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah I'm just gonna watch whatever I can get on the over-the-air antenna and pirate the rest on my computer

OTA owns, I watched half the Michigan games last season on it, getting 720p over the loving AIR rules

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

PostNouveau posted:

Same. I watch what I can on OTA, ISU games I find whatever source I can. They had a couple games on ESPN+ last year which I had at least.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I moved from Spectrum to YouTube TV and it is amazing. I can’t believe I didn’t do it earlier. Saving like $50/month just on not paying for cable boxes

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
Looks like we got Utes vs. Gators tomorrow night. Almost time to resubscribe to Youtube TV

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dirac Fourier posted:

Looks like we got Utes vs. Gators tomorrow night. Almost time to resubscribe to Youtube TV

:rip: gators

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

No Cam Rising

a chance??

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

No Cam Rising

a chance??

We had no business beating them last year either so who even knows.

Having said that Graham Mertz doesn’t fill me with confidence.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Damnit I wanted utter Gator annihilation. Where’s the game at anyway?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

You may still get it. It’s in Utah.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

You may still get it. It’s in Utah.

That does help. Idk I have no faith in backup qbs so this one could get real interesting

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It’s a weird game. It was Utah -10.5 and now it’s -4.5.

I don’t think anyone has a good feel for it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Yea too many unknowns going in to feel good either way.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

the ux is objectively unintuitive
multiple passes just don't work sometimes, it's weird (this might be a skill issue for me i dont think so tho)
it has audio lag if you don't use their bespoke chrome browser
they offer a 4k option that applies to literally 3-4 channels lol it's wild
it costs a lot

the experience of dvring poo poo you like is nice. i'll give that one up, i guess. so it has 1 thing in its favor.

*shrug* it works perfectly for me in Firefox in Linux. It's one of the reasons YouTube TV was so much better since it didn't require proprietary plugins and didn't check your user agent to block you out.

The UX basically functions like a cable channel or DirecTV guide, which was better than PSVue could do, on Roku, at least.

I wish we had some Wednesday night MACtion to kick things off.

Komet fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I’m not a big fan of the YouTube Tv interface. The concept of a channel guide shouldn’t be hard and with sun categories for types of shows also shouldn’t be hard.