Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
During Pandemic Times I got into mechanical keyboards; I needed a hobby that would let me work with my hands, produce something useful, and teach me a little patience - almost all of this poo poo is done via group buys where you wait months, maybe a year, maybe longer!!! to get your keycaps or whatever.

About a year ago the final thing I needed to make this arrived:

It is heavy as hell, that body is solid aluminum - it's a very satisfactory artifact and it looks quite regal sitting on my desk when I use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

coldpudding posted:

My big spoon.

I like it because it's useful and what I made it out of, the blade is made from a leaf spring from my grandfathers FJ Holden, the wood grip is made from the timber from a demolished old queenslander house, the brass I re forged from some sort of gas valve, the knuckle guard was a bit of probably stolen stainless steel bar that the neighbors crazy druggie son dumped in our garden along with a bunch of other crap before the police took him away and the sheaf is made from a discarded folio I found on the roadside. The thing is 17 inches long 11 of those are the blade, it has a full tang and is perfectly balanced for chopping out all the woody weeds and saplings that keep popping up in my garden every summer, seriously I don't even bother with the machete or brushcutter anymore.

this is sick, every time I see someone working with metal I think about those youtube videos with dudes casting scrap iron into ingots and poo poo in their backyard and I think "man, that could be me... if I sell my condo and move to a place with a backyard... a big one..."

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Trabant posted:

Some cool poo poo being posted here! Really glad I clicked on the announcement post.

My favourite thing I've made is usually the most recent things I've made so:

https://i.imgur.com/Ug3LNCx.mp4

It's a vase I turned on the lathe using walnut and maple, made after an Alhambra-style vase I saw in a museum a few months ago. The vessel is 15" tall, the topper about 6".

I already posted it the Projects thread, for anyone interested in seeing more gooncrafts.

hot drat that's a vase