Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Can't decide between the gallery show I held for my senior thesis or some of the video game levels I've made but the game levels are easier to take screenshots of than the photos are to find, so here, it's these:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Empty Sandwich posted:

yes another kind of creativity I'm jealous of. do you end up thinking of it like a 3D space you can navigate, or just the isometric view?

A little bit of both, funny enough. I've done a lot more work for 3d games than 2d, but this is probably the project of mine which has been most-viewed. In this case, I make a really rough shape of what I want, usually starting with some flat concept - in this case, I wanted a roughly T-shaped level which would create an unusual funneling effect for the player's encounter with the enemies. Once I have the roughest shape, I start adding the pieces which will give it some dimensionality, cover of varying heights and durability, which is where the 3d layering starts to come in. I play the heck out of the level, tweaking as I go, until it starts to be fun to play. Around this time I also start to think of it as a real space, which means doing things like laying out buildings in the same way as a real place might, which lends verisimilitude to the map.

So yeah, saying it's both might be a cop out, but generally when making maps I try to come at it from a few approaches and layer them into one another, because I think it results in a more interesting and considered play space. This approach is just as valid for 3d games, but you come at it slightly differently as well.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That is fabulously shiny.