Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

http://www.windowmaker.org/news/

Release notes posted:

Window Maker 0.96.0 was released on August 5th 2023

Screen corners can be assigned an external command to be executed when the mouse pointer is entering those areas. In WPrefs, “Hot Corner Shortcut Preferences” can be used for configuration or by manually adding a “HotCorners” key and value to “YES” in the ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker file. Hot Corners feature is disabled by default. Actions are specified by the “HotCornerActions” and are defined as a four entries list (“top left action”, “top right action”, “bottom left action”, “bottom right action”). A screen corner area is a cube shape defined by the “HotCornerEdge” which is a number of pixels from 2 (by default) to 10. To lower the risk of triggering that feature accidentally a “HotCornerDelay” key can be used which is the time before the action is triggered while the pointer is in one of the screen corner. Default value is 250 ms.

In WPrefs “Keyboard Shortcut Preferences” tab, three new actions can be configured: “Capture a portion of the screen”, “Capture a window”, “Capture the entire screen”. The file is saved in ~/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/Screenshots directory under a filename format “screenshot_%Y-%m-%d_at_%H:%M:%S” followed by the extension. Which can be png or jpg based on WRaster dependencies.

libXRes is now an optional dependency. XRes the resource extension for the X protocol is used to find the underlying processes (and PIDs) responsible for displaying the windows.

Support for _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS hint. That hint allows applications that support it to be set as fullscreen on multiple heads. It depends on Xinerama extension support.

To keep the dock on the primary head in a multi-head setup, set the option “KeepDockOnPrimaryHead” in ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker to “YES” or click “Keep dock on primary head” under the WPrefs “Expert User Preferences” tab.

Wow! Now my desktop is a lean, mean, window-makin' machine! Can't wait for 1.0!

Everybody post your badass workstation setups!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
good news for sophisticated intellectuals such as myself who prefer the design of NeXTSTEP and not the later, compromised version that became OS X

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Is this post supposed to be here or is this that weird glitch I read about in the mod forum that takes a post meant for, maybe SHSC in this case, and randomizes its end forum location to something completely unrelated?

Because let me tell you, GBS is exactly where I go to find the latest news and updates for Linux GTK themes.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

XYZAB posted:

Is this post supposed to be here or is this that weird glitch I read about in the mod forum that takes a post meant for, maybe SHSC in this case, and randomizes its end forum location to something completely unrelated?

perhaps the OP like myself is afraid to post in YOSPOS

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we all moved on to tiling window managers 5 years ago

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
lovely product, i've been hitting it against my basement wall and no new windows appear

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

Wow just wow windows makers holy fuckin' a!

Been making some windows and it's amazing like how was this not done before?? Ayooooooo

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Gnu Linux, more like Poo Swinepox.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my computer already has "windows" op, both literally and metaphorically and also, i assure you, legally.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Somebody call that big fat loser bill gates, there's new windows in town

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

A good windows tool for this is https://dualmonitortool.sourceforge.net/

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we really should go back to basic window managers like this. i remote into or run in a vm modern linux distros (mostly red hat enterprise and ubuntu) for work occasionally since some of our vendors deliver stuff that way instead of just using docker or whatever, and it's incredible how bad and clunky the default desktop environments are. significantly worse than the barebones stuff that existed 20 years ago.

a hot linux desktop summer is never gonna happen at this rate

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bad Purchase posted:

we really should go back to basic window managers like this. i remote into or run in a vm modern linux distros (mostly red hat enterprise and ubuntu) for work occasionally since some of our vendors deliver stuff that way instead of just using docker or whatever, and it's incredible how bad and clunky the default desktop environments are. significantly worse than the barebones stuff that existed 20 years ago.

a hot linux desktop summer is never gonna happen at this rate

Linux is cool because you actually need the 4 desktops at once widget to make linux run.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i like linux

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

Linux is kickin rad.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

is this the os that went to jail for beating someone with a shovel?

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
WindowMaler is no poo poo fantastic and it really feels like more recent window managers have moved in the wrong direction.

literally is a single 41 year-old IT professional with depression

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Use Windows Terminal and WSL you noob.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That's a weird looking version of Windows. How do I use WindowMaker to make my Windows look like that?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I use openbox, op.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The only computer I have linux installed on rn is my model b pi 4, op

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Can't find where is the download section. I hope Windows 8 is supported

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

eSports Chaebol posted:

good news for sophisticated intellectuals such as myself who prefer the design of NeXTSTEP and not the later, compromised version that became OS X

I remember the OS X Server beta had this perfect mashup up old and new that was just amazing and the finder was sublime.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I love arch for the most part but the maintainers are kind of fuckin' goofy so I'm on Windows 11, it's good.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

NoiseAnnoys posted:

this is a window manager. youre thinking of the filesystem that went to jail for murdering the wife

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

NoiseAnnoys posted:

You're thinking of WidowMaker 0.96

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

MrQwerty posted:

The only computer I have linux installed on rn is my model b pi 4, op

That's - that's nerdy. :ohdear:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I don’t even own a computer :smug:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

NoiseAnnoys posted:

You're thinking widowmaker.

:edit: poo poo

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
how do uy make mindows can i just like heat up some sand and then it turns into glass and i can replace a window if its broke or something right?

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Earwicker posted:

my computer already has "windows" op, both literally and metaphorically and also, i assure you, legally.

I stole mine and i dont care who knows it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Nooner posted:

how do uy make mindows can i just like heat up some sand and then it turns into glass and i can replace a window if its broke or something right?

Ya

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

istewart posted:

The file is saved in ~/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/Screenshots directory under a filename format “screenshot_%Y-%m-%d_at_%H:%M:%S” followed by the extension.

Jesus christ no that’s where my most filthiest animes are don’t look in therrrrrrrrrreeeee

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

Imagine spending hundreds of hours of development time to write a custom inefficient glitchy program that lets you *checks release notes* have a desktop wallpaper on two monitors when instead you could have been slaying mad puss

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I don’t even own a computer :smug:

The ultimate nerd. :ohdear:

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I just use stock xfce usually, gnome and kde are kinda bloated IMO

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The hell is even the point of desktop wallpaper? If you’re busy doing computer stuff you can’t see it anyway and even when you’re not doing computer stuff it’s covered up by all of the individual files stored on the desktop where they belong.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The hell is even the point of desktop wallpaper? If you’re busy doing computer stuff you can’t see it anyway and even when you’re not doing computer stuff it’s covered up by all of the individual files stored on the desktop where they belong.

Yeah I mean it's always so easy to access poo poo on the desktop from a super logical file path, something like /linux/buildversion/7.3882/users/NanoDeGallo/my3Ghotspot/userpaths/archives/desktop.current/filetopper/wallpaperinstallerlayer/userfilesNanoDeGallo -list

rather than like, /userfiles #whoami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I only do my computing on a modified lite brite I don't trust the NSA :tinfoil: