Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I've been meaning to make a project thread for a while. Had a whole big OP and everything, but kept chickening out. So here it is. Post your projects. I do a little bit of everything but nothing well, so i'll post mine once in a while and bump it. Try to be supportive, and keep in mind people generally don't need criticism unless they request it. Gonna come back in a bit and post my findings (so far) on rhubarb sauce (technically a compote, but we just called it sauce).

POST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Was reminiscing about my grandma's rhubarb sauce recently bc I harvested grapes from a grandparent in law and made juice and the whole experience was a lot of fun. Turns out it's the basic 3 ingredient compote of fruit, sugar, water.

My rhubarb plant is super sad cause I planted it on the wrong side of the house:

But it keeps coming back so I think I can move it and give it a couple years and it'll thrive. So anyways I had to get some at the store, which I think is shameful for a Minnesotan.

The basic recipe here was 2 lb rhubarb chopped to 1/2 inch, 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar. Boil for 10-15 mins (you want the chunks, don't go too far).

I saw a recipe with lemon zest which was interesting so I did that for half and it really brightened it up. All in all, I think it was too much sugar to match my memory, but I'll ask around about getting some free rhubarb and try again.

This one may belong in the cooking thread, but I wanted to get the ball rolling. Canning next time.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

I'll make the web site

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Maya Fey posted:

I'll make the web site

If you do, post it itt

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
post the Dome

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Lpzie posted:

post the Dome

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Lpzie posted:

post the Dome

please 🙏

the canning is very cool too btw. trying to think of any projects that i could post but i'm coming up short

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Lpzie posted:

post the Dome

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Lpzie posted:

post the Dome

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Lpzie posted:

post the Dome

CURRENT STATE

Was gonna be different but $$ and time, so this is where we are at. Next steps, getting the windows secured in and water right, and sealing any potential leaks with heat applied tar tape (?). Also door, but for that I'm just gonna buy a used door and rip it down to size.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Dome updates will go here as well, BUT I WANT MORE PROJECTS, POST PEOPLE!

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

BoothBaberGinsburg posted:

please 🙏

the canning is very cool too btw. trying to think of any projects that i could post but i'm coming up short

I'll send you a microcontroller

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

AxGrap posted:

CURRENT STATE

Was gonna be different but $$ and time, so this is where we are at. Next steps, getting the windows secured in and water right, and sealing any potential leaks with heat applied tar tape (?). Also door, but for that I'm just gonna buy a used door and rip it down to size.

jesus, look at the size of it compared to the house in front

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

AxGrap posted:

Dome updates will go here as well, BUT I WANT MORE PROJECTS, POST PEOPLE!

I've got another empty tank to get set up for the froggos soon, I'll post when I start that. Here's a pic of the current one all overgrown.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

AxGrap posted:

I'll send you a microcontroller

we need :argh: but really small

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I've got another empty tank to get set up for the froggos soon, I'll post when I start that. Here's a pic of the current one all overgrown.

setting up and maintaining bioactive tanks is one of my favorite hobbies, shame i haven't had room in my new place to really get into it again. looks lush, great job! you keeping darts?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I'm refinishing my cabinet doors and I am at a low point in the process.

I sanded them

Re-filled the holes and painted the wood filler to match the grain

Now I have stained & shellacked. Which went fine.
My first coat of poly looks great from a distance but it's full of pinhole bubbles :argh:

So I get to hand sand through that and start applying thinner coats. I'm very, very displeased about that. But I am trying to keep a positive outlook

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Ah yeah, I heard you can blast it with air to get bubbles out before they set, but I'd have to ask my finisher friend if that's true. Sucks, but you got a good start.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

BoothBaberGinsburg posted:

setting up and maintaining bioactive tanks is one of my favorite hobbies, shame i haven't had room in my new place to really get into it again. looks lush, great job! you keeping darts?

Yeah I got a pair of Rio Cascajal Auratus darts.

I think I want to get some Citronella Tinctorius for the new tank just because they look really cool.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

AxGrap posted:

Ah yeah, I heard you can blast it with air to get bubbles out before they set, but I'd have to ask my finisher friend if that's true. Sucks, but you got a good start.

Yeah. If i'd known the tricks I woulda done em. I'm still learning wood finishing. I think I'm hitching my way up the learning curve tho

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
No in progress pics for this but at my wife's request I resprayed our camp stove. Went from this:

To this:

I just used rattlecans on it, but I did add a clearcoat. It's held up nicely over 3 trips so far!

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Yeah I got a pair of Rio Cascajal Auratus darts.

I think I want to get some Citronella Tinctorius for the new tank just because they look really cool.

Hell yeah. Love the frogs.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Also post itt if you need project suggestions. Touching grass is fine, but making stuff?! It's the best!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

AxGrap posted:

waving a flame over them works well for this, at least in epoxy

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

AxGrap posted:

CURRENT STATE

lol I had that same play house when I was a kid

also love the dome

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
The idea was to make an overworld planning app to create metroidvania worlds. To me this meant a central starting point with crisscrossing paths and expanded exploration etc. I got the map planner working and then made it work with Super Metroid. This meant taking these worlds and translating them to work with the SNES game itself which presented a bunch of challenges. Once that happened I started pushing all of this into a web database and then created a webapp to let several users work on any number of maps/rooms at any given time. This way it can be a collaborative effort because to me making games is difficult.

Cross-posted from the ROMhack thread:

19 o'clock posted:

During the pandemic I got really into playing some Super Metroid rom hacks. SM Redesign: Axeil Edition was especially good in my opinion. Vitality really showed off how gorgeous the game can look and was also fun to play. Play both if you get a chance.

I ran out of roms to play. Then I started getting really dumb and creating my own. Then I realized it was really gonna be hard, so I threw myself at making a generator to create Super Metroid ROMs instead. I wanted to create the most horrendous maps I could. Here's where I'm at right now:

Big map (~150 keys) looks like:

Bigger map (~190 keys) looks like:

for fun, this map came to:
code:
Added 2470 Room Data Buffer(s).
Added 2470 Room Header Buffer(s).
Added 5646 Door Header Buffer(s).
Added 2470 Enemy Population Buffer(s) w/ 6829 Enemies.
Added 5 Enemy Set Buffer(s) w/ 8 Enemies.
Added 2470 PLM Population Buffer(s) w/ 4109 PLM(s).
Added 2470 Room Scroll Buffer(s).
Added 30 Load Station Buffer(s).
Added 5 Region Map Buffer(s).
...so probably not fitting on an SNES cart.

"Can fit on a Super Nintendo ROM" map (~20 keys) looks like:

...and here's a map making demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRDOpdinFn0

I'm using a built-in mechanic to tie e-tank pickups to unlocking sets of doors to expand the exploration throughout the game. up to this point it was mostly ironing out the technical details of turning the map into a reliable rom patch. the map making process is what I'm going to be improving on next by expanding architecture (arches, better tower/tunnel designs, circles/pyramids/whatever I want) to vary the landscape some more and creating more disparate spaces and employing elevators...basically there's a boatload of things to be tweaked so it could get pretty hectic pretty quickly. dropping boss rooms into the maze is going to be a high priority. happily it's mostly creative work like "how do I want tiles and rooms to look?" and "what kind of weird shape rooms do I want the maze maker to produce?"

I made it a point to make this all as loosely coupled and abstract as possible so that hopefully I can plug this type of progressive exploration/backtracking/crisscrossing map building to work in Zelda, Castlevania, or (my favorite) Cauldron 2. Until i can routinely produce 50-day Super Metroid Hell Maps my work won't be finished.

(seriously play Vitality though it's gorgeous)

...afterward I started getting into modifying the actual rooms themselves...

19 o'clock posted:

Lately there's been lots of low-hanging fruit so adding fun stuff has been easier. Added grapple/bombable/speed booster/x-ray blocks, point-and-click enemies/items, and a boatload of keyboard and mouse macros. Making a toggled larger cursor for carving out rooms was a huge relief. Here are some more gifs of the builds/plays:

X-Ray Path + Item + Grapple Blocks:
https://i.imgur.com/cZbOseb.mp4
Play:
https://i.imgur.com/oorYJYD.mp4

Speed Booster Shortcut + Enemy Deaths:
https://i.imgur.com/dVFpOUW.mp4
Play:
https://i.imgur.com/fa8Y5q3.mp4

…and eventually got things on the web...

19 o'clock posted:

Right now I have all of the map/room data living on my webhost. My desktop app is compiling all of the current builds every 20 minutes and reuploading them to the webapp. You can see the timestamps/links of the IPS patches as they become available for any given build.

For now you have to right-click and save-as because despite how complex this has become I can't figure out fixing content-disposition for download links. If anyone can help I'd be grateful!

Keys/Regions
The Matte button will change colors on the world map to indicate explorable regions by key. Keys are numbered blocks: 1 == game start, 2...n are keys to progress. Green region is your start, get key 2 opens up blue, get key 3 opens up yellow, etc. Keys are energy tanks that will unlock gray doors to the next set of rooms.

Known bugs:
• Probably any number of navigation sequences I haven't anticipated yet that will stop the webapp.

TO DO
• Add water/lava. Not nearly as hard as the slopes. Need to add the ability to set these like on the desktop app.
• Add more navigation! In-game maps are weird. I coded a lot of it but it's still weird and I need to get that across the line.
• Everything else. I haven't even touched tiling (and likely won't) beyond what the build process auto-applies. Rooms can have states each with tilesets, music tracks, environments, triggers - it's incredibly customizable.

The interface is sluggish/clunky at times because I taught myself all of this stuff and it's a lot of data on one screen. Hopefully it isn't too obnoxious. The double clicking to move in-and-out means I/you mistakenly leave the room editor without saving, so be careful for now until I come up with something better and change it. Mouseover on items/enemies lets you know what is placed.

Seriously loads of work to do but it's pretty crazy to just have an old laptop in the corner of my office area building patches based on the webapp stuff. I modified some maps and tested a couple downloaded patches this morning and all seemed to work. I used the NTSC Japan/USA "(JU)" ROM to patch and play.

https://i.imgur.com/ac5b25b.mp4
eroding:
https://i.imgur.com/wZofYv2.mp4
creating a shinespark run by adding slopes:
https://i.imgur.com/cCT2qcN.mp4

DM me for a link/readme if you want to play! I'll hopefully get a dedicated domain up sometime soon but this is just for fun right now.

19 o'clock has issued a correction as of 01:03 on Aug 29, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I got to show you this table I just scored. I'm very slowly turning the carriage house into a workspace/lair and I just scored a table stout enough for me to put a vise on it. Dumpster score of the month!

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

19 o'clock posted:

The idea was to make an overworld planning app to create metroidvania worlds. To me this meant a central starting point with crisscrossing paths and expanded exploration etc. I got the map planner working and then made it work with Super Metroid. This meant taking these worlds and translating them to work with the SNES game itself which presented a bunch of challenges. Once that happened I started pushing all of this into a web database and then created a webapp to let several users work on any number of maps/rooms at any given time. This way it can be a collaborative effort because to me making games is difficult.

Cross-posted from the ROMhack thread:

...afterward I started getting into modifying the actual rooms themselves...

…and eventually got things on the web...

DM me for a link/readme if you want to play! I'll hopefully get a dedicated domain up sometime soon but this is just for fun right now.

Fuuuuuuuck that's cool

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
you should cover the dome in strips of 'spacer mesh' or wicking mesh fabric and get some vining plant all over it.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

petit choux posted:

I got to show you this table I just scored. I'm very slowly turning the carriage house into a workspace/lair and I just scored a table stout enough for me to put a vise on it. Dumpster score of the month!

Dumpsters are inspiration.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

you should cover the dome in strips of 'spacer mesh' or wicking mesh fabric and get some vining plant all over it.

I put sand in the paint for grippiness for that purpose (also to make the imperfections less noticeable). I transplanted that vine there but it's not doing too good so far, but I think it'll come back next year.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

lol

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Lmao

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Hell yeah, the only thread started by project dad's for project dad's.

I built this sailing canoe over the winter and have been exploring the Salish sea. Took my smallest kid on a camping trip to a nearby island a few weeks ago. It owned.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I also made cool gay bench with Mr Rodgers quote. The iron bits were found in the woods.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Oh snap here's one where you can see the words

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Hell yeah, the only thread started by project dad's for project dad's.

I built this sailing canoe over the winter and have been exploring the Salish sea. Took my smallest kid on a camping trip to a nearby island a few weeks ago. It owned.

Dang that's cool as hell. I don't know poo poo about sailing, but the rig looks solid.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I also made cool gay bench with Mr Rodgers quote. The iron bits were found in the woods.

That's gay (good) as hell, great job. I wanna cast some concrete bench sides with 2x4 for the middle so bad but, time, ya know. Good find.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Leroy Diplowski posted:

this is so drat cool and great work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I built a little free library earlier this year. It's janky and uneven but came together nicely and the paint makes it look nice.

Got lazy and haven't installed it yet. Soon the neighborhood will have a place to get all their theory texts for free though.