Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Hell yeah, the only thread started by project dad's for project dad's.

I built this sailing canoe over the winter and have been exploring the Salish sea. Took my smallest kid on a camping trip to a nearby island a few weeks ago. It owned.

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I mean this is one serious workbench. I couldn't believe finding it in a dumpster. It weighs like 200 lb.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

my bony fealty posted:

I built a little free library earlier this year. It's janky and uneven but came together nicely and the paint makes it look nice.

Got lazy and haven't installed it yet. Soon the neighborhood will have a place to get all their theory texts for free though.

Looks good! I keep meaning to make one, I got a lot of weeeeird comics I can put in it. Kinda wanna do a themed one and can't land on what it should be.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

petit choux posted:

I mean this is one serious workbench. I couldn't believe finding it in a dumpster. It weighs like 200 lb.

Nice find. Got any projects planned with it?

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
My brother was touring houses recently and every basement in old houses had a workbench with a vise and a bench grinder. Idk what they did with em tho. We used to make knives out of railroad spikes at my grandparents.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I have a bench grinder I haven't used yet. Might sharpen something when I'm done with my wood finishing project

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Vim Fuego posted:

Nice find. Got any projects planned with it?

Well the project overall is to turn the carriage house into a workshop and so this is just a small part of the project, one of the essential parts of a good workshop. I also got a vise/anvil that needs to be mounted on something extremely solid and heavy and this is perfect. If you work on metal stuff very much you will probably want something solid to just hammer on things now and then.

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

(and can't post for 92 days!)

Ash Crimson posted:

*Guile voice* CHRONIC GOON

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Painting shirts is a fun project. Get any ole acrylic paint and some fabric medium from an art supply store (don't waste your time with fabric paint, you can use this medium forever and can pick whatever colors you want), and go to town! This is from last night. A fun drinking activity!

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Heat set for 30 secs with an iron but in a pinch you could run it in the dryer and it will set p good.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Hah! seems like a light hand sand with 220grit is taking the bubbles out.

Gonna do every panel then apply the next coats thinned out with mineral spirits

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

:yeshaha:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

:wow: nice. What are these for?

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

That's glossy as gently caress, good job! How many diluted coats did/will that take?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

petit choux posted:

:wow: nice. What are these for?

They are the doors to my kitchen cabinets

AxGrap posted:

That's glossy as gently caress, good job! How many diluted coats did/will that take?

Thanks! That's one brushed on coat and one diluted wipe on coat so far. I'll probably do 3-6 coats wiped on, depending on my attention span. At some point it probably doesn't add too much.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

WTH, this isn't a current project, it's a very old one, just consider it a bump if you like. But at the time it consumed a lot of my energy and I did it all from scratch. I wanted to build a Mini-ITX computer so bad, and didn't have any money LOL. I actually used this for work. The monitor was salvaged from old medical equipment. Please bear in mind this was like 2005 or 6.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

I built a little free library earlier this year. It's janky and uneven but came together nicely and the paint makes it look nice.

Got lazy and haven't installed it yet. Soon the neighborhood will have a place to get all their theory texts for free though.

Good work I love our neighborhood free library, especially since our Real library has been closed for over a year for continually delayed construction

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Painting the cabinet carcasses before I install the doors

Cat investigating

I hate masking

Primer

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
God drat! You really do it right. Imma half rear end some work on my dome today. Try get it water tight

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Alright, sloppy lazy stuff but I'll get some time out of it, and I have been so close to tearing this down I just gotta get something done.

Cut some acrylic corregate for windows, taped em where I wanted them from the outside and then spray foamed them into place from the inside. Gonna put something over the edges to hide them and cut off the foam and clean up the insides. Next I'll finish painting and double check all the seams and heat apply some tar tape (maybe?). Gonna try move a desk/shop bench out here by this weekend.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Vim got me lookin like goofus over here lol

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

AxGrap posted:

Found this thing at a garage sale today and I think I'm gonna do some monotypes later if I can find my inks.

Okay, working out process/mediums with what I got but there is a clear winner so far

This is a water based block printing ink for textiles on plexi, which I had for a different project and it lifts weird and I do t like it. Oils would be ideal but I kinda don't wanna have to deal with the chemicals

THIS is gauche on plexi. Specifically himi "jelly" gouache, and it works insanely well.

Bonus 5yo wolverine

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
If I actually work on a good piece I'll buy the right paper, but these tests are going well. Post your projects!!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I finally finished the cabinets! They turned out nicely

Next up: build some new lower cabinets and renovate the rest of the kitchen.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Vim Fuego posted:

looks tight dude

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

AxGrap posted:

Fun thrift store find

Still flinched at the price, but I got buttons and joysticks waiting to go in something so it was meant to be.

Update:

All my buttons and sticks were Japanese style so I actually had to go out and buy American style hardware which stinks, but I found a cool shop by me

Brought my 2yo and she got a button of her very own.

Don't have the right wiring so I might have to solder, but the wiring harness is also cheap, so kinda at an impasse. I have an extra pi 4 to throw in there so looking at prebuilt images on arcadepunks.com rn.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Am I cucking myself by asking the city for a water meter?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AxGrap posted:

I found a cool shop by me

that does look like a very cool shop :3:
I use those exact same containers for my electronics so now I feel vindicated :3:

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Oct 10, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
buttplugs lol

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

drat ya'll could have just told me to stfu and post in here lol

nice work errybody

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Tim the pool man

I like the joystick

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Vim Fuego posted:

drat. How'd all that fit in a car?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
You gotta develop a minimalist mindset

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I'm building an office, it's not done yet

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Schmeichy posted:

I'm building an office, it's not done yet

Cool office ! will there be c-spam battlesation? pls post.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

War and Pieces posted:

Am I cucking myself by asking the city for a water meter?

they no called no showed multiple days in a row

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They're just not that into you. I'm sorry you had to find out this way

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

thetan_guy42 posted:

Cool office ! will there be c-spam battlesation? pls post.

Pretty much anywhere is a cspam posting station

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

tyvek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I dunno where to put this because I think I'm making GBS threads up the I/P thread a little too much:

It's only 4'x8', but I wanted something I could put up on my roof facing the street tonight. Waiting for the black and green to dry before going to the red.

Next one will be flush on the roof facing up, and it will take the whole side of my roof, so the military jets and helicopters that now seem to be a warning to me will notice. (and also so I don't have to worry about practical things, like wind)