Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

look, we all love social media around here. and i bet when you think of x or meta the first things that come to mind are connecting with old friends and family, sharing pictures with your grandma, that kind of thing. but maybe there are downsides? im not sure what those downsides would be but nothing is all good or all bad so there must be something there lurking under the surface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
because of this thread my virginity has been restored and I will never have sex again

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hallelujah

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

no

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
its not really hidden, so no

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm
it says right there on the website, it's $8

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
the problem with social media is that you can learn cool things like new recipes and skills that have real-world application

the bad thing is that you actually have to get up and do these things, but instead people just slip into depression over using their time less productively than the person in the video

truly a conundrum.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

probs a few bucks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, $8 a month here

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I don’t know op. not really my business.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can sometimes absolutely feel the thing where I am doom scrolling and I want to stop but it just doesn't happen, I can tell I am not really enjoying it and that it's a waste of time, but it keeps happening.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you look at it on a desktop you can spin the mouse wheel really fast and get that done in thirty seconds

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

echinopsis posted:

I can sometimes absolutely feel the thing where I am doom scrolling and I want to stop but it just doesn't happen, I can tell I am not really enjoying it and that it's a waste of time, but it keeps happening.

stop reading your own posts

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

if you look at it on a desktop you can spin the mouse wheel really fast and get that done in thirty seconds

this is a great tip

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I just send baby pictures to grandma via text so now that that’s solved let’s shut down social media

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
people have been texting selfies for like 15 years now, you're behind the game

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i sometimes take pictures of food

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

this is why I deleted everything including instagram

no ragrets

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op I don’t think there are any hidden costs to social media. pretty sure they government would make them disclose that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

op I don’t think there are any hidden costs to social media. pretty sure they government would make them disclose that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

$1.05

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

dioxazine posted:

i sometimes take pictures of food
:haibrower:

the only good social mediums are the ones that just post pictures of Houston food

https://www.instagram.com/houstonfoodguide/

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

echinopsis posted:

the little mantra I keep repeating is “you gotta pay attention to what you pay attention to”

that sentence alone helped me pick up the signals of “oh I’m doomscrolling” and redirect it towards doing anything else or even nothing at all instead.

it’s better anyway, there’s a point where you gain no more information aside from maintaining yourself in a negative emotional state of mind like you’re somehow not caring enough of you don’t keep your nose in it, but just being in it non-stop is neither acting nor helping.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I keep entertaining the analogy that social media is to society what teenage drinking sort of is like to high schoolers. you think it’s cool, got no incentive for moderation, and it can really gently caress some poo poo up from not having a good sense of what your limits or the boundaries ought to be

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
today I argued with someone in a comment section and felt shame afterward

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

been thinking this over and it all seems on the level to me, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mar 4, 2024
encourages too much sharing :hmmyes: