Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Y’all gently caress with Bobby d? The voice of a generation? The man with the golden voice, honeyed and smooth like your first expensive cigarette of the day? Do you agree that it is best to pretend you are bob dylan and say THINGS with his goofy emphaSIS that sounds simultaneously absurd but also extremely compelling? Would you say that you personally have a favorite bob Dylan song or album? Would you share it with the class? How many copies of his acclaimed Christmas album, Christmas In The Heart, do you own? Are you more into the old folky stuff or the electric stuff, perhaps the more country/rootsy stuff? Are you one of those disgusting, dog-rear end freaks who like Christian Dylan? Lord I hope not. What about his physical appearance? I think we all agree that his look from Freewheeling Bob Dylan is the most iconic but maybe you prefer his modern appearance where he looks like an undertaker, mortician or other death related professional. Have you ever seen him performing on his neverending tour? I hear mixed things. My fiancé saw him when she was a teenager and said it was the most disappointing show she’s ever been to. He contains multitudes.

I’ll answer the above questions for you now.

quote:

Y’all gently caress with Bobby d?
Yes.

quote:

Do you agree that it is best to pretend you are bob dylan and say THINGS with his goofy emphaSIS that sounds simultaneously absurd but also extremely compelling?
Yes, definitely.

quote:

Would you say that you personally have a favorite bob Dylan song or album?
I would say that, yes.

quote:

Would you share it with the class?
If you insist. My favorite song of his is I Want You. My favorite album of his is Blood on the Tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iIS6ZZ9RVA

I’ll answer the other questions later probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Anthem was the bob dylan of video games OP :bioware:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
That’s a really good point.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
i think its nice we dont have to hear from or about bob dylan much anymore.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Bob Dylan was good when he was a folk singer but bad when he was a rock and roll singer and now he is just old lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I listened to his son's band more than I did him

Not speaking of quality of either, but my parents bought the CDs they did and I just worked around it

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Bob Dylan is the best and Shadow Kingdom was a great show and album

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

He's a good Bob.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The zimmerman telegram was named after him

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

When I was in junior high I was living in tokyo and going to international school, and we went to Hiroshima on a school and went to a memorial statue of a girl and we all sung Blowing in the Wind together, it was real goofy. Bob Dylan is awesome though and Highway 61 Revisited is an amazing album.

Also the Walk Hard parody is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u5x9pdInTU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Bob is alright. I like Bob

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Thought this was a death thread. Disappointed.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Who the hell is that?!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I am a huge fan of Bob Dylan's music and words.

I think it is good to set his words, persona and hype down for a second, and realize that if you listen through his discography you hear so many amazing musicians by their own right that sprawl across genres and scenes and generations. It's just wild. Actors and hollywood types too, like Sam Shepherd. "To Make You Feel My Love" as performed by Adele is probably the most recent time he was right in front of a national audience unnamed.

And his recording style was very simplistic without much pre-production, reportedly. You are hearing the best musicians getting creative with his simple song structures on the spot. His songs are like playgrounds.

I always notice in these threads Dylan's biggest detractors are usually shadowboxing with aspects of Dylan hyped most by others, putting words into the mouths of others, letting out their own intellectual insecurities. I just try to find positive in music for the most part, it's way more enjoyable than being some crusader for What's Good.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
bod dylan

subterranean home gym blues

stuck inside of anytime fitness with the golds gym blues again

I want you (to bench press)

Masters of gear

Tangled up in the fly machine

Forever Swole (Natty Version)

Rainy Day Kettleball 12# & 35#

Buckets of sweat

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Besides his awful holy roller period, the dude has just always had a fantastic live American sound and makes you want to really listen to the story he is telling. His bootlegs are actually good and complete alternate takes on great songs that totally change up the feeling and even meaning of his words. When you realize how much stuff he fully realized and then threw away it really shows the respect he had for the listener. Anyway, he has made a little something for everyone and has a variety of great eras like Bowie.

Don't watch him live anymore unless you want to be very disappointed : (

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
I had a hard time defeating Bob Dylan

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Besides his awful holy roller period, the dude has just always had a fantastic live American sound and makes you want to really listen to the story he is telling. His bootlegs are actually good and complete alternate takes on great songs that totally change up the feeling and even meaning of his words. When you realize how much stuff he fully realized and then threw away it really shows the respect he had for the listener. Anyway, he has made a little something for everyone and has a variety of great eras like Bowie.

Don't watch him live anymore unless you want to be very disappointed : (

I saw him in 2010, a huge stadium-ish venue. Was bad and I walked out after a few songs. I saw him in a smaller joint in 2019 and it was good. His voice has gone lower and more of a growl, kind of Louis Armstrong-y tbh.

There are some gem songs in the Holy Roller period!

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

Bob Dylan is fine. He had that great hype or confidence of a young person who is just pouring with energy, and I can respect that; it reminds me of a younger me, if it makes sense.

Unrelated kind of, but my Spotify playlist has lately been suggesting songs that I first gave a chance and I'm not gonna even google him and might sound like a complete tool but at least I'm honest when I say I have no idea who is Rodriguez. At first I thought those were some Dylan songs I didn't know but very soon he's lyrics and "wit" became intolerable and I suggested Spotify to not suggest his songs anymore.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Nah not really

The Band is pretty good though

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Dylan's fits on his album covers: first one is terrible. Oh my god what a dork. that hat loving sucks, collar sucks. Improves on the second. Then great until Nashville Skyline

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Before my time and not really my jam anyway. I appreciate his talent and place in the American musical pantheon though. Kind of like Prince, same deal.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I remember when I was a kid there was some article in the newspaper about this wild new Napster thing and how the epidemic of music stealing was going to destroy the industry and it had a quote from Dylan that was something like

"I dont think it matters because there hasn't been any music made worth paying for in the last twenty years anyway" which was pretty lol

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Without Bob Dylan we wouldn't have Jimi Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower, one of the best performances ever. So respect to him for that.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Nooner posted:

I remember when I was a kid there was some article in the newspaper about this wild new Napster thing and how the epidemic of music stealing was going to destroy the industry and it had a quote from Dylan that was something like

"I dont think it matters because there hasn't been any music made worth paying for in the last twenty years anyway" which was pretty lol

He was right

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
he came out with 12 records in that time period though.

I disagree anyway because Groove is in the Heart was definitely worth paying for.

Cafe Barbarian fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 30, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im not huge into him but there are certain songs/albums/periods i like a lot, especially desire and the whole "rolling thunder review" period. i love the songs from that time but also that method of touring i found really inspiring, a huge kind of variety act and performing almost entirely in small towns. of course business-wise that tour was a huge disaster and a lot of the artists involved ended up kind of miserable. but ive been thinking about it ever since i saw the documentary about that tour. whether that kind of thing would be viable in the 2020's and how to make it happen

here's one of my favorite performances from that period, this live version of Isis is incredible imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cii3aF2a8oE

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Never liked Dylan very much. OP The lyrics seem pretentious and his voice is bad

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Everyone trashing Bob Dylan but if any one of you guys made 40 albums they'd all be lovely too.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
If I had to pick one Dylan album to have someone listen to in 2023 it would be Time Out Of Mind. Talk about atmosphere and great production without being "overproduced". Really takes off for me starting at 'Standing in the Doorway' and doesn't stop until the album is done.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I prefer megadeth

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Yes, but can you guess what Dylan's grillin'? Besides existential horror, of course.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Incredulous Dylan posted:

If I had to pick one Dylan album to have someone listen to in 2023 it would be Time Out Of Mind. Talk about atmosphere and great production without being "overproduced". Really takes off for me starting at 'Standing in the Doorway' and doesn't stop until the album is done.

Ha before I saw this post I was thinking about this - can you really call any Dylan album overproduced?

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

dervival posted:

Yes, but can you guess what Dylan's grillin'? Besides existential horror, of course.

Bobby D's music is like my boners. Both require pills to get a rise outta me.

Incitatus fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 31, 2023

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What's better than 1x Dylan? 2x Dylan

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ve-HUyhZOo

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
John Wesley Harding is the best Dylan album though

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Bob Dylan wrote John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
Best song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag-Esuy44ks

Best live recording

https://youtu.be/xHwSIMFUGt8?si=AOukLrcOpQjFVYNe

No best album

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Whatever.

How many glizzies can he gobble?

https://youtu.be/ij_GNlQg7kY?si=tL560cGrXs4IcO0v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Never heard of him OP. This a British thing?