Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KÄÄRIJÄ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"
Got two songs that are in my top everything/anything list. Can't say which comes above which, love them both so much, for different situations. One is "Mr. Tambourine Man", the other is "One of us must know (Sooner or Later)"

Rip Bob, you were the original Goatson. Your hees and haws, boy, they all came naturally. And you chewed a can like no other.

Edit: lmao, what post to start a new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Hard to pick a favorite song. Maggies Farm was my theme song a couple years ago when I quit my job. It's amazing how the lyrics work today just as well as 50+ years ago.

I try my best to be just like I am,
but everyone wants you to be just like them.
They say "sing while you slave!"
and I just get bored.
I aint gonna work on Maggies Farm no more

raspurtin fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 30, 2023

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzyfcys1aLM

Jakob Dylan >>>>>>> Bob Dylan

sry grandpa

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

The guy who sings Mr. Jones wants to be bob Dylan

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

raspurtin posted:

Hard to pick a favorite song. Maggies Farm was my theme song a couple years ago when I quit my job. It's amazing how the lyrics work today just as well as 50+ years ago.

I try my best to be just like I am,
but everyone wants you to be just like them.
They say "sing while you slave!"
and I just get bored.
I aint gonna work on Maggies Farm no more

rage against the machine did it first

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i’ve heard covers of his songs that were good, most of the originals not so much

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

hes an undeniable genius and one of the most influential modern musicians

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
if bob dylans voice sounds like gold, that gold is simultaneously melting and having a stroke

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Robert Dylan

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
was worried a gbs thread meant he died but no its just some tin-eared illiterate dumbass op

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
yawn

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
The man that writes like a gifted poet,

And sings like the kid in a D&D group with a deviated septum

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i was sitting in a chili’s drinking a sailor jerry’s and coke (i bring the sailor jerry’s in a hip flask) when i sensed someone behind me and before i could react a pair of wizened hands grasp my moobs. i could smell stale cigarette smoke, patchouli, and urine, and as i began to turn to ask what the hell i heard a croaky voice say “Just like a woman”. i swung around and there was Bob Dylan, short and leathery. he leaned over and grabbed a couple of fries off my plate, pulled down his ray bans and winked, and said “how many times can a man turn his head and pretend that he just doesn't see?” with a cheeky smile on his face. he then turned and left and when i looked down at my fries and he’d somehow rolled some of them up as potato joints. i smoked one while i finished my sailor jerry’s

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

git apologist posted:

i was sitting in a chili’s drinking a sailor jerry’s and coke (i bring the sailor jerry’s in a hip flask) when i sensed someone behind me and before i could react a pair of wizened hands grasp my moobs. i could smell stale cigarette smoke, patchouli, and urine, and as i began to turn to ask what the hell i heard a croaky voice say “Just like a woman”. i swung around and there was Bob Dylan, short and leathery. he leaned over and grabbed a couple of fries off my plate, pulled down his ray bans and winked, and said “how many times can a man turn his head and pretend that he just doesn't see?” with a cheeky smile on his face. he then turned and left and when i looked down at my fries and he’d somehow rolled some of them up as potato joints. i smoked one while i finished my sailor jerry’s

Is this a long euphemism for dick sucking?

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
I love that one of the most important figures in the history of American music is a massive weirdo who looks like a gnome, sounds like Death, and has very idiosyncratic views about what constitutes humor, wisdom, and plagiarism. Just endlessly fun to listen to and think about.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

bob dylan is goo, actually

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
he said the n word in that song the tornado

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
What makes Dylan a genius and why does he choose to sing like that with emphasis on the "wrong" words?

I am sincerely curious. If you have links or whatever I can read that if writing an effort post is too much.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
imagine getting stoned and listening to Visions of Johanna for the first time

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

neato burrito posted:

Before my time and not really my jam anyway. I appreciate his talent and place in the American musical pantheon though. Kind of like Prince, same deal.

I agree with 100% of this post

Icochet posted:

I prefer megadeth

:agreed:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i know music is highly subjective and all, and i can certainly understand not liking the sound of dylan because his voice is scratchy and a lot of his tunes are jangly and folky in a way that rubs people the wrong way, and he comes off as kind of preachy, i get that

but not liking prince?? i dont know how that works

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Odddzy posted:

What makes Dylan a genius and why does he choose to sing like that with emphasis on the "wrong" words?

I am sincerely curious. If you have links or whatever I can read that if writing an effort post is too much.

i think people like his lyrics and tolerate the music and singing

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea i think genius a word thrown around too much and i dont care whether dylan is technically a genius or not, but i would say he's a very talented and unique storyteller, who uses music as his method of storytelling. sometimes the music is good too.

i feel the same way about joanna newsom, or rather her singing, except that she's also a very talented instrumentalist

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
he's a good songwriter and great with lyrics but all the best versions of his songs are covers by other people and when i saw him in person he was really terrible

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Earwicker posted:

yea i think genius a word thrown around too much and i dont care whether dylan is technically a genius or not, but i would say he's a very talented and unique storyteller, who uses music as his method of storytelling. sometimes the music is good too.

i feel the same way about joanna newsom, or rather her singing, except that she's also a very talented instrumentalist
I tried listening to YS again a few weeks ago and didn't make it very far

I think that Bob Dylan could have used a producer or collaborator that was almost deliberately trying to gently caress up the way in which he chooses to present himself. Kind of like Phil Spector making that album with Leonard Cohen- it revealed some of his immaturity, restlessness, and sleaziness and it has way more character than his more studied albums imo

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I was forced to see old bob live a few years ago and he couldn't sing or really move and I didn't know any of the songs

gently caress you bob!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

nice obelisk idiot posted:

I think that Bob Dylan could have used

just lmao any sentence starting like this, and its not just about bob dylan. checking out of this thread

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
He just performed here in the last year, and I wanted to go, you know, just to say I saw Bob Dylan. But I didn't.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The thread title made he think he'd died, don't scare me like that OP

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

20 Blunts posted:

just lmao any sentence starting like this, and its not just about bob dylan. checking out of this thread
yeah fair enough that was pretty lacking in self-awareness. i was thinking about bryan ferry's cover of a hard rain's gonna fall and death of a ladies' man vs some of dylan's stuff in the 70s. didn't quite know how to communicate what i was getting at without being a turd

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

What are the songs that are actually pleasurable to listen to for normal people? Hurricane, like a rolling stone... Any others?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
when i paint my masterpiece
visions of johanna
knockin' on heaven's door
simple twist of fate
i shall be released
forever young
tangled up in blue
mighty quinn
it's all over now baby blue

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i default to an unfavorable opinion of anyone with two first names and it takes a lot to dig out of that hole

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Thesaurus posted:

What are the songs that are actually pleasurable to listen to for normal people? Hurricane, like a rolling stone... Any others?

one more cup of coffee is my favorite, personally, which is from desire, same album as the hurricane and isis. its a great album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95cufW4h-gA

in terms of more recent stuff i like scarlet town

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Someone should autotune his voice to take out all that nasal stuff going on.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

nice obelisk idiot posted:

I tried listening to YS again a few weeks ago and didn't make it very far

I think that Bob Dylan could have used a producer or collaborator that was almost deliberately trying to gently caress up the way in which he chooses to present himself. Kind of like Phil Spector making that album with Leonard Cohen- it revealed some of his immaturity, restlessness, and sleaziness and it has way more character than his more studied albums imo

Funnily enough, Dylan does some backup vocals on that album, on Don't Go Home With Your Hard-on

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Thesaurus posted:

The one I mentioned in the OP, idiot. Oh and Mr. Tambourine Man is a classic.

Hurricane rules though, good on you for mentioning it.

Rough and rowdy ways was very good, Key West was probably my favorite on there

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bob Dylan did a number on his rear end!! He wad playing guitar with his rear end and a string snapped! They said it sounded like a bungee cord ganking a sack of bones!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mozi posted:

he's a good songwriter and great with lyrics but all the best versions of his songs are covers by other people and when i saw him in person he was really terrible

The GnR cover of Knockin on Heaven’s Door sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

the dylan/lanois album was amazing. Because lanois owns.

also emmylou/lanois wrecking ball

robbie Robertson/lanois