Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The GnR cover of Knockin on Heaven’s Door sucks

i like when jerry garcia plays dylan -_-;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xdirtypinkox
Aug 12, 2004

And it gets easier as I pass the Edward Scissorhands village where privileged white kids date rape girls and taunt me in their SUV's.
Bob Dylan had some unique, vocal stylings and by unique, I mean rather bad.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

The times they are a’changin

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

When people criticise me for having Bob Dylan as my favourite artist I ask them how many Nobel prizes their favourite singer has won. Answer is always 0.

I would 100% give Bob Dylan any award if it meant he had to come give a speech so I could hang with him.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdWto-AUM3Q

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfBqWNFOVo8&t=50s

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Buce posted:

the dylan/lanois album was amazing. Because lanois owns.

also emmylou/lanois wrecking ball

robbie Robertson/lanois

He had two, Oh Mercy and Time out of Mind. They're both really good

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
dob bylan

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukq-Zc7nGw8

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The GnR sucks because of axel rose
Ftfy

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!

Thesaurus posted:

What are the songs that are actually pleasurable to listen to for normal people? Hurricane, like a rolling stone... Any others?

Try “Shelter from the Storm”. It’s got some of the usual Dylan HOW does it FEEL singing style but it’s a little more toned down and is sort of bittersweet about failed relationships.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Thesaurus posted:

What are the songs that are actually pleasurable to listen to for normal people? Hurricane, like a rolling stone... Any others?

girl from the north country

i saw Captain Bob live about 25 years ago and he sucked poo poo then too. he’s not a good live performer

Puckanas
Dec 11, 2004

An extraordinary moron!
I love Dylan! My favorite song is Mr. Tambourine man!

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The GnR cover of Knockin on Heaven’s Door sucks

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I love Bob Dylan a wbole lot. I like the Rolling Thunder performances where he's clearly gakked on marching powder and roaring out the lyrics while the band sweats buckets behind him. I think his best album is definitely Blood on the Tracks, but I have to admit Desire grew on me a lot after a couple listens. I also like the stuff he did with the Traveling Wilburys. I have other Bob Dylan Opinions but that's enough for now.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Is it true that he dropped acid with the beatles and then got into a fist fight with Ringo?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Thesaurus posted:

Is it true that he dropped acid with the beatles and then got into a fist fight with Ringo?

There were fists involved but I don’t think they were fighting.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The whole Nashville skyline album is a great. Also the Minstry cover of Lay Lady Lay from the album is decent

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YX6hbs5MMSs

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

Puckanas posted:

I love Dylan! My favorite song is Mr. Tambourine man!

:hmmyes:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

There were fists involved but I don’t think they were fighting.

had a handshake in the octopus's garden, you mean?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

lay lady lay is a good tune

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I liked that song he wrote about how he was a nice guy and chicks only date assholes

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Cosmik Slop posted:

I like the Rolling Thunder performances where he's clearly gakked on marching powder and roaring out the lyrics while the band sweats buckets behind him.

Best version of Shelter from the Storm imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12rUOLtbQDk

This and the performance of Hard Rain from the RT documentary are also good examples of why I think he was a good singer (at the time) even if his voice is divisive.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I hated this guy until I was about forty five, then I grew up and started enjoying his stuff.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

FTFY

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
i like to play harmonicas when im really intoxicated but theres an extremely limited about of harmonica rock and roll songs to choose from so I end up playing the same five songs by bob dylan and neil young until my wife unplugs my poo poo

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The harmonica is a terrible instrument. Its portability and ease of concealment means any rear end in a top hat with a couple of bucks can inflict ramblin'-man bullshit on any social gathering with impunity. Less is more with harmonica.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think Highway 61 Revisited is his best album, I know, it's a boring voice 5

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
No thread about Bob Dylan could ever be complete without including Norm MacDonald's Twitter thread about having a sleepover at Dylan's place.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Torquemada posted:

The harmonica is a terrible instrument. Its portability and ease of concealment means any rear end in a top hat with a couple of bucks can inflict ramblin'-man bullshit on any social gathering with impunity. Less is more with harmonica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2z7LXpAX3Q

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I always loved this verse from It's Alright Ma:

Disillusioned words like bullets bark
As human gods aim for their mark
Make everything from toy guns that spark
To flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark
It’s easy to see without looking too far
That not much is really sacred

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Speaking of lyrics, I love his line "Don't think twice, it's all right".

It says so much without saying anything specific.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjtPBjEz-BA

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This is later-era Dylan but it's one of my favorites of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9EKqQWPjyo

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I saw Dylan live at least twice, and he absolutely sucked. I have never felt as insulted by a performer, not even when Tori Amos was so drunk she had a hard time not falling off her piano bench.

I saw Dylan playing with the Grateful Dead, and those fuckers were better than Dylan. I saw Dylan do a show where he went on first, and Van Morrison went on second, and loving Van Morrison was better than Dylan.

Some of his early studio stuff was good, but holy poo poo is he terrible live the times I've seen him.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 2, 2023

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I went through a real obnoxious Dylan phase and once asked a Bruce Springsteen fan why he didn't like Bob Dylan and he said because you don't need to be a literature major on acid to "get" the lyrics. The answer my friend is blowin out your rear end *drives off to rob zombie - dragula*

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's like Shakespeare. You read any Shakespeare by choice lately? Not me.

But I can recognize it's a Classic without having to engage it whatsoever.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Timby posted:

This is later-era Dylan but it's one of my favorites of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9EKqQWPjyo

Great song for sure. I really liked Mississippi as well, I think from the album after that one. Not as dark and cynical as Things Have Changed but a nice song.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

redshirt posted:

It's like Shakespeare. You read any Shakespeare by choice lately? Not me.

But I can recognize it's a Classic without having to engage it whatsoever.

maybe shakespeare actually sucks since no one is reading him and just saying the work is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Incitatus posted:

maybe shakespeare actually sucks since no one is reading him and just saying the work is good

I read the collected Shakespeare a few years ago at the beginning of the pandemic, he rules. Would love to actually see the plays though, that's much more difficult and film versions add so much interpretation, even if they are great in their own way, they're a different beast.