Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

redshirt posted:

It's like Shakespeare. You read any Shakespeare by choice lately? Not me.

But I can recognize it's a Classic without having to engage it whatsoever.

But Dylan owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

But Dylan owns

Do you listen to him often?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Tons of people listen to Bob Dylan often. I go through a Dylan phase every few months, especially Highway 61 Revisited. The dude just writes folk songs, its not like he's completely outdated and unapproachable.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

redshirt posted:

Do you listen to him often?

Yeah, pretty regularly

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Bob Dylan comes off as a weird insecure liar. He made a really bad parody of Ode to Billie Joe. He was apparently pissed off about that song for some reason.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

She was married when we first met
To a talking horse
I helped her out of a jam, I guess
She was stuck to that horse
Tangled up with glue

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Dylan was definitely a liar that was like his whole thing when he started out. The cynical take was his early folk stuff was an act of manipulation then he said "this is too easy" and then he invented songwriting in rock and roll and Bob Seeger tried to murder him with an axe. Also I really like the famous live show in 65 or 66 where a guy called him Judas, he was hot that night, but it's kind of funny how many music critics think it's the best thing ever because they were booing him. They booed! What an artist, he got booed!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Dylan was definitely a liar that was like his whole thing when he started out.

its true, his name isn't even really Bob Dylan!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

That wasn't even his real voice. He kept a dwarf in his hair.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Chicken Butt posted:

No thread about Bob Dylan could ever be complete without including Norm MacDonald's Twitter thread about having a sleepover at Dylan's place.

I don’t get this at all

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Is the joke that it has all the ingredients to be an interesting/good story but it’s not remotely good or interesting?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
bob dylan was the inventor of mumble rap

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Is the joke that it has all the ingredients to be an interesting/good story but it’s not remotely good or interesting?

Well first of all, it’s a pastiche of Dylan’s songwriting style, adapted to the Twitter format, which is funny in itself. But even more amusingly, it’s apparently a true story (according to MacDonald’s friends). I like the homage to Dylan’s style, and also the documentarian confirmation that Dylan is exactly what he appears to be in his art: an amusing, brilliant, insightful, occasionally-infuriating weirdo who spends zero amount of time trying to act “normal“.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I don’t get this at all

What do you not understand in what Norm wrote?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Chicken Butt posted:

Well first of all, it’s a pastiche of Dylan’s songwriting style, adapted to the Twitter format

I didn't catch that at all, can you show me an example?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Odddzy posted:

What do you not understand in what Norm wrote?

I can barely understand your post

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I went to a Dylan concert and it was good. He had a guy playing violin who was very good at it and the songs were completely different arrangements from the albums so it was all fresh. It was a long time ago though so I don't remember what it sounded like.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Odddzy posted:

I didn't catch that at all, can you show me an example?

A couple of examples:

https://youtu.be/2Svltq6LxoI?si=NfgCK1y51p7jlwnf

https://youtu.be/73N211qQCZU?si=UbF4q2dRtuS52YSu

Generally, when Dylan writes a story song, the line between reality and fantasy is blurred, absurd/grotesque things happen, and details are deliberately left out that would be considered crucial in normal storytelling. I think that’s the vibe that Norm was going for.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I met my in-laws for the first time at a Dylan show. It was outside at Met Stadium and Willie Nelson opened. Willie especially kicked rear end. Dylan was good, but this was like 18 years ago now lol. The last time I saw him he did mostly bluesy stuff and it was terrible.

I like Dylan but am not a superfan. Randomly Went to see the Gypsy will pop into my head which is not a bad thing to have pop in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF4duqDaK6c

I love The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carrol, but its depressing as gently caress!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmbwU3J-2kk

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Icochet posted:

I prefer megadeth

I heard that Dylan got famous because he stole a bunch of Dave's riffs

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The GnR cover of Knockin on Heaven’s Door sucks

It's actually really good live without all the phone call bullshit

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 2, 2023

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
My mom went to the Judas Newport folk festival concert in high school, she was very confused why everyone was booing

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Chicken Butt posted:

A couple of examples:

https://youtu.be/2Svltq6LxoI?si=NfgCK1y51p7jlwnf

https://youtu.be/73N211qQCZU?si=UbF4q2dRtuS52YSu

Generally, when Dylan writes a story song, the line between reality and fantasy is blurred, absurd/grotesque things happen, and details are deliberately left out that would be considered crucial in normal storytelling. I think that’s the vibe that Norm was going for.

I'll check the links later but your description fits with what Norm said in some interviews. I'll paraphrase; truths are better than facts because facts are by nature devoid of emotion.

Courts have stenographers describe events in a mathematical manner, i.e; X happened and then Y happened so then Z did that and X did [...]

Print news works the same way. The facts are supposedly there, but a whole aspect of what is happening emotionally to the people involved in the stories is missing. So sometimes to get "truth" norm goes for lies that don't make the story true, but it rings true to the audience.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Wesley Willis did what Bob Dylan did, but better :colbert:.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Incitatus posted:

I don’t see how Star Trek is relevant here, but okay.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Incitatus posted:

Including finding a much better band than what he put together himself and finally putting his legendary lyrics with a great sound

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Buce posted:

the dylan/lanois album was amazing. Because lanois owns.

also emmylou/lanois wrecking ball

robbie Robertson/lanois

Neil Young’s album with Lanois was the best thing he’s done in 20 years.

As for Dylan, eh, not a huge fan of anything he’s done since he quit gobbling speed…er…had a ‘motorcycle accident’ except Blood on the Tracks and a couple later gems like Things Have Changed and Everything is Broken.

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece

steinrokkan posted:

But Dylan owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Y8wbXurjg

a song in favour of dashcams in cars?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Bob Dylan is one of the top 5 greatest songwriters of the 20th century. He also has a weird singing voice that can be generously described as an acquired taste.

If someone can't get past that, I don't blame them, but I also feel bad that they're going to miss out on a lot of great songs.

(same about Tom Waits, but I actually like his weird voice where I can merely tolerate Dylan's)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Townes Van Zandt had a good voice AND he was a better songwriter and I will stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots...

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Townes Van Zandt had a good voice AND he was a better songwriter and I will stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots...

A humble sad little god.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Outside of the gates the trucks were unloadin'
The weather was hot, a nearly 90 degrees
The man standin' next to me, his head was explodin'
Whoa, I was prayin' the pieces wouldn't fall on me

Yeah, and the locusts sang off in the distance
Yeah, the locusts sang such a sweet melody
Oh, the locusts sang off in the distance
Now, the locusts sang and they were singin' for me

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i just looked it up, and apparently jakob dylan is now older than bob dylan.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Buce posted:

That actually makes sense from what he tells us in My Back Pages:

Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Buce posted:

Acoustic guitar hook

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

shakespeare is very good

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

git apologist posted:

shakespeare is very good

Actually he’s in the alley, with his pointed shoes and his bells, talking to some French girl who says she knows you well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The "Bob's songs are only good as covers" thing makes you sound like an idiot child to anyone who actually knows anything about Dylan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy6wryJMwVU

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 11, 2023