Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
If you’re curious what it’s like to play games with a bunch of 2008 era libertarians boy do I have the game for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Solus posted:

a wise man with a dent in his chest once said - shutting down eve online would be like shutting down the ghost prison in ghostbusters but for the worst type of people

It was like when LF got shuttered.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I did a trip around the ancestral homelands of Syndicate last October, and the same pair of gankers who routinely got my exploration ships were still active around the AAS hole. Brought a goddamned tear to my eye

I always dreamed of a busy syndicate but every time I rambled down there it was dead as hell.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jay Derkin posted:

I would consider actual inclusion to be leaving everyone the gently caress alone and letting them live the way they want to. This recent trend of "You disagree with X small thing means you're a bigot and we hate you" is just ludicrous.

Oh I can see already you’re going to have a lovely time in this thread. I look forward to your posting adventures.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Not even page three and we’re off to the races.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
So proud of you guys.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
“Breitbart?” He scoffs, “I get all of my news from only the finest sources curated by the smartest man on the planet, Elon Musk’s Twitter Account! Why yes I am divorced why do you ask?”

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

hailthefish posted:

you. poster. who's being included in a toxic way?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Saw gays kissing, confused, sad, maybe horny help

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Thanks for fielding the serious talk twig, as a broader member of the LGBQTIA+ community my first reaction is to make fun of this guy for being obtuse and stupid.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jay Derkin posted:

I guess I largely just fail to see why that has any place in a pre 3rd grade classroom to begin with? You're laying the foundation of a good education, why does the teacher need to be giving their views on sexuality at all? I don't think a teacher should be talking about their personal life with their students, doesn't matter if they're gay or straight. My teachers never once did that and it didn't negatively affect my education.

I do very much have an issue with selective enforcement, and if that is the case then the people doing said selective enforcement should face consequences.

People existing isn’t a viewpoint shitstain.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jay Derkin posted:

I don't think I've even brought up the LGBT community outside of one reference to things I've been accused of. I fully believe that you guys should be treated identically to everyone else on the planet. I would say that's a fair position to take?

Then you disagree with the Florida issue you are busy championing moron.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jay Derkin posted:

I haven't denied anyones existence, I simply don't think that sexuality has a place in a pre third grade classroom.

You played a lot of that “I’m not touching you lol lol who me I’m innocent?” poo poo until you were in your 30’s didn’t you.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jay Derkin posted:

You've missed my point like 5 times. The point is that "modern inclusion" seems to bring in topics that are well outside of what I would consider inclusion to be. I don't think both gay and straight people being told to not talk about their sexuality to children in a school setting is preventing anyone from being included in society. There's a time and a place for everything, the classroom at that grade level, in my opinion, is not it.

The entire point of the law is to make it illegal for a school teacher to say, admit he has a husband to his class, or have a picture of his family on his desk. It’s dehumanizing and you suck.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jay Derkin posted:

Teachers should go to school to teach, nothing more and nothing less. I couldn't possibly care less if a teacher is gay or not, but I don't see the need for any teacher to be talking about their personal life with students, sexuality need not apply.

Student: sees picture of traditional family on desk: “Who’s that?”

Teacher: my wife I love her a lot

Student: sees picture of non traditional family on desk: “Who’s that”

Gay Teacher: I’m not allowed to say

Congratulations on creating an underclass

The fact that you don’t understand childhood inquisitiveness or normal human interaction makes me wonder if you are one of those Reddit “goons” haunting this forum to annoy me.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ded posted:

no no you see by his interpretation the hetero family cannot say THATS MY WIFE/HUSBAND either!

because that will totally happen

I’m starting to think angrymustache escaped his containment zone after making a single good post on Reddit.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jay Derkin posted:

Yeah except that's a made up scenario based on a law that doesn't single anyone out. Which circles back to if its being enforced selectively then that's a major problem. I don't think we disagree on that, yet you repeatedly ignore me wholeheartedly agreeing with you on enforcement.

You and I both know that law isn’t going to be enforced in the way you want it. Don’t be loving obtuse.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Guys the sodomy laws totally weren’t used to target gays and they were also totally above board enforced on straight couples who ventured into the butt stuff realm because as we know the police are here to protect us.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jay Derkin posted:

The whole point of the law is to completely remove sexuality and personal matters from K-3 education. I see zero reason that it won't be followed by straight teachers. If I was an LGBT parent and got word that a straight teacher was ignoring the law that an LGBT teacher was expected to follow I would raise hell until that teacher faced consequences, and rightfully so.

I honestly don’t know if you are just brilliantly naive or the dumbest person that’s ever blathered his way into the collective goon crosshairs or a mix of both. That is not the whole point of the law, the entire point of the law was to dehumanize gays without openly saying “hey we’re trying to gently caress the gays and not in the way they like” just the same as sodomy laws.

This is Lee Atwater’s southern strategy only this time it’s gays instead of blacks people, it’s literally the same loving poo poo AGAIN and rubes like you bumble into it every loving time.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jay Derkin posted:

In all honesty I took a break from news cycles a few weeks back, was tired of the constant cycle of depressing poo poo. The florida bill had been well established for months and I had no idea it had been expanded. With this new information, that I just double checked and it's honestly mind blowing, gently caress the law and repeal that poo poo. What I considered to be reasonable at a K-3 level is absolutely ludicrous to be expanded to high school.

It’s not reasonable for a person to not be allowed to say “that’s my wife or husbands picture on my desk” and then be able to handle the follow up questions you asocial weirdo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jay Derkin posted:

It is what it is. I hold my views but I'm never closed off to new information. New information was presented and my views have shifted accordingly. Tbh it's nice to see that through all the shitposts some actual conversation was had.

Why did we stop mocking J4G’s in here anyway I feel a valuable service has been lost.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ded posted:

trying to be inclusive

Toxic or non?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Roll with those punches bud.

Edit: mods let’s go ahead and change weeks to days in the thread title.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 31, 2023

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

salartarium posted:

Reminds me of when this math teacher at my high school had a whole PowerPoint presentation for the class after Valentine’s Day about what he did for his wife, a fellow teacher at the same school , and how much he loved her. Completely inappropriate and on its own bizarre. Then he got caught with a student a few weeks later and disappeared with her. It was a little shocking as he was big on social media and had a whole youtube channel on teaching math that’s still up. I heard rumors that someone found him and he ended up marrying the student and became a postal worker.

Was there poison in the water during the 2021 registration year for something awful? What the gently caress is going on here.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Baculus posted:

did they change the rule or do we get to see dipshit eat a 6er

Hoping for a bit more than that.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I feel like we’re being invaded by TEST escapees or people who brain damaged themselves with long Covid because of a long held believe in government nano probes or something.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zoya posted:

long probe rather than a ban, i hope, to preserve my excellent use of :10bux: imo :colbert:

I like you.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

twigplant posted:

Sure. Anyone wanna talk about that CCP survey that went out instead? What are everyone's feelings on things like "inclusion" and "not making this game an acid bath experience for women?"

I don’t want my only posts in this thread to be non topical and despite all my shitposting I do like that goons are still carrying the torch in eve so I wanted to come back to this. Though my opinion is gonna be pretty negative.

I don’t know how they think they can address this in any meaningful manner that isn’t slapping a “girl colored pink bandaid” over a gaping wound.

Ultimately the toxicity of this player base towards women is one that would need a lot of social engineering and monitoring of tools that explicitly do not belong to CCP to clean up. The worst of the worst horrible game ruining sexist poo poo I ever heard was in fleet coms, jabber and so on, not in the game client itself.

Without a big demographic shift towards women playing this game independent of whatever CCP does I don’t expect women’s voices to have enough weight to push through the white noise of a ummm at least moderately awful user base. There’s a concept of a poisoned well, wherein once so much poison is in the well you’ll never get clean water out of it ever again. Gaming on the whole already has a problem with this and much as Goonfleet lags behind something awful cultural moores by a good decade so also goes eve online to the rest of gaming.

Honestly you need look no further than the response on Reddit to the current problems to see what I mean. At best CCP can axe folks doing it within in game chat channels, they can promote women devs to encourage interest, but considering the last time a CCP lady got promoted from the gaggle her nudes were posted within the week, I’m gonna just continue to be skeptical that this player base is gonna play ball.

Edit: hope this was coherent, it’s bedtime.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 31, 2023

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jay Derkin posted:

I've not actually seen any woman hate first hand over the years I've played EVE. Though that time has been almost entirely in GSF where that poo poo isn't tolerated, so it may skew my overall view of the game.

Hahahahahahha you’ve got nerds in GSF going to bat for a dude that did sexual assaults within the last 24 hours. How am I more plugged into what’s going on when my eve client has been uninstalled for over six months and my esi has been blasted out of the system. Just like leave dude.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 31, 2023

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

dragonshardz posted:

i miss CCP Seagull. Mintchip on the other hand was a bit yikes. that said:

EVE absolutely is a poisoned well. half the reason i biomassed and will never log into it again is i don't remotely enjoy the possibility of being a lightning rod of drama and that goes doubly for being a queer woman. i 110% do not trust r/eve shitbirds to not try and creep my socials to harass me unless i completely :sever: from the game.

did you completely loving miss the drama last year somehow?

Man mintchip was absolutely a dipshit but she did not deserve TEST superstars rehosting and reposting her nudes all over for nerds to ogle. And you know what? None of those superstars have been banned yet and this illustrates my point of “poisoned well”. If CCP can’t be arsed to police that what the gently caress is a poll going to do.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

salartarium posted:

I honestly had little to contribute on the matter, but in that survey that CCP sent out I suggested they create or promote women’s only spaces. I hadn’t been involved in Gamer groups for a while until I started EVE and all the drama I’m being exposed to and stuff I read about is eye opening. I feel like Forest Gump and have experienced a lot of stuff in my life, but some of this EVE stuff to me is outlandish and I think there’s little hope people can change.

For example, I was shocked when I was doing research and stumbled upon the old Ms. EVE-RU beauty contests. I understand it was meant in good humor and the culture there might make it more acceptable, but it was just off putting to me. I like messing around in video games, I like competing with people and occasionally trash talking, but it’s makes me uneasy what some people are being exposed to in a game about spaceships.

I used to be pretty mean to Arkhamina back in the day and we became friends at a later date after I had a little “shake the ironic bad poo poo that goonfleet was promoting as normal out of your system you are an adult” and I basically trip all over myself to apologize for my behavior whenever we cross paths. And it wasn’t even THAT bad. It was just meanness for meanness sake.

It’s nothing compared to the poo poo boats done during fleets.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jay Derkin posted:

Bruuuuuh boat too? What did he do? It's like waking up from a peaceful home under a rock to find the forest on fire.

I’m always amazed at how little people pay attention. Boat was always a colossal sexist, and this thread is probably going to get nuked. Change of topic. Someone tell me what blackops is doing these days or has zungen fully killed it?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Fluffdaddy posted:

Good poo poo. Okay back to sleep

Thank you.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

I will literally PayPal you a tenner for making me laugh so hard I thought I was gonna pass out.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

hailthefish posted:

Anyway remember the time mittens was remonstrating with people being lovely to women in cfc comms and concluded the whole spiel with (paraphrasing but not by much) "we need women to play in our coalition so we can use their feminine wiles as weapons against the sexless nerds who are our enemies"

lmao

I’ve got this picture in my head of some goonette doing the fan dance Uhura Style just so goons can pull some useless intel coup like the latest NC. Ratting Drama. I swear to god every time I find out something new about the depths of that man’s goofiness over a game I learn a new way to roll my eyes.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mekchu posted:

mintchip was not bad at all and everyone freaking out over her then and later on are insane

i want to say there was an eve group for girls only, but i can't remember the name of it off hand. think it may have been a slack channel on one of the player ran slack groups or whatever theyre called

I didn’t like have a major hate for her or anything, I just said she was a dipshit which is downright high praise compared to my opinion of most eve news personalities. She also had the rather unfortunate job of being the community lead for an eve spin-off game that nobody wanted or played.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

Good flying with you, Kirby. Give a shout if the itch comes back.

Also if you haven't played FFXIV, hmu in discord and I'll help you get into a good group there.

Any of the goon groups for that game are outstanding. Most drama I ever saw was about which guild buffs were running.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Libluini posted:

Couldn't you get around this by staggering your bomber squads with some good timing? Send in a bombing run of 7x bombers first, and then send the second one in time to launch bombs, so the first wave is already safely exploded 1–2 seconds before the next wave hits, and so on.

Nowadays with voice comms and poo poo that kind of coordination should be possible. Just collect 49 friends and train them in separate squads against some dummy targets in your own space until the timing works, and you are go.

You get around this problem by putting your bomber wings at several different points on the grid with the people you are bombing in the center and setting up your warp ins so each wings bomb explosions overlap each other but the overlap doesn’t reach the other wings bombs thus exploding them.

This is the Vee/Kcolor method and it all got watered down because y’all put boat in charge of bombers and he’s not got the patience for grid prep that his predecessors did so he went with waves instead (far less effective).

But since the context is small gang my go to method for bombing a fleet with low resources was always to trick them into turning their MWDs on. Post up a in-line bubble like 15km from the gate where a fc may just go “gently caress it mwd on and burn to the gate” rather than bounce off a perch then aim my bombers between the gate and the bubble. I knocked out several TEST fleets this way in the 2013 fountain war.

At the very least they are going to be wounded and you’ll have killed off a good chunk of their T1 and sub cruiser hulls. Back in the day we regularly nuked BC fleets doing this.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 19, 2023

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

canceronline posted:

Let's say, hypothetically, that one has played EVE for years. Let's also say, that this individual was part of Goons for ages, and always wanted to be in Goonwaffe. Finally, let's say this r word also payed for an SA account in the vain hope of being accepted into Goonwaffe. What would the hypothetical odds of this individual being accepted into GEWNs be?

Just join karmafleet, the tails been wagging the dog for years now anyways and you may as well join the actual central corp to the org.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

psilocybin laden posted:

also the org is still incapable of apologizing for its mistakes (which means there's also a lack of org accountability)

I actually got an apology from Mittens himself for how he broke up all of the squads back in the day which shocked me, but it was also an apology from a double talking mealy mouthed piece of poo poo so.