Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
D-name posters are now considered good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

d in name, s in tier.

:hmmyes:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Files made me join

Also not what made me join but honerouable mention for the drama factory that was DPPH

I’d been reading since the Photoshop Phriday about a map of Osama Bin Laden’s rumored hideaway in Afghanistan, but paid to join because I had :10bux: to throw at Lowtax after a couple of Fashion SWATs had me rolling (the ones with the Poetry Shirt and Etro’s Beards). I think I made it a decade+ before catching my first prob, which I didn’t find out about for like two years because I mostly lurked and never tried to post during the probationary period(s).

Edit:
I had been lurking Eve threads since 2007 or so, but stayed away from actually downloading and playing until 2022. EveGoons were(?) just a horrible, mean-spirited group of assholes if your only exposure was via SA Eve posters. It’s sad, because one of my 14-year posting buddies finally convinced me to try it, and the Goons I play Eve with and get on comms with are one of the friendliest communities I’ve been involved with online.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 15, 2023

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

psilocybin laden posted:

d name posters are good sometimes actually

:wth:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

floppyspud posted:

Ban everyone whos name starts with D

I would act indignantly and hurt by this, but then that would sort of prove your point…

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Dirac Fourier posted:

So if you travel to the fulcrum and jump into a war clone, you get to do some PVE FPS activity? That sounds pretty cool to me.

:same:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I claimed the last CCP Twitch drop as the last guy was thanking folks for watching the Fanfest stream. Some are selling for 500m ISK unopened. You had to watch 11hours of the streams out of 13 total (well, “watch”), but the CCP Vargur skin should be worth a billion or so in the future. Not too shabby for leaving your computer running while you’re asleep!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Elukka posted:

I love my dumb XLASB Gnosis. I once again bubbled a gate in Frat staging. First this guy who lost a Jackdaw to me came back in a Cerberus with a buddy in a bomber. I just killed the Cerb and drove the bomber away. A bit later they decide I need to go I guess and a Praxis drops into my bubble, which is obvious bait for whatever comes next but I take it in case something dumb happens. As soon as I do, four Coraxes show in at 40 to lob missiles at me and a Svipul comes in to tackle me. I'm running out of tank, I think I'm dying, but the Praxis pops. The destroyers are dropping me deep into armor, but this has taken long enough that one of my XLASB reloads comes in clutch. From there I'm able to kill the Svipul and given I can't really touch the Coraxes, just leave.

Then I realize I should go back in case there's any good loot, find the Coraxes looting the field along with a t1 logi, and drive those off before they get anything. :v:

lol that’s awesome. I’m usually on the other side of “getting scrammed, webbed, then neuted and killed,” so it’s nice to read about things I don’t have the irl skillz to do. I’ve gotten good at running/dodging gatecamps with perches and/or cloak/mwd trickses, but if I get caught I panic and start button mashing like a Mortal Kombat reject. If you ever record some of these, I’d love a link to watch and maybe pick up a pointer or three!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

floppyspud posted:

NPSI fleets (in goonswarm)

:question:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

floppyspud posted:

Unless they’ve changed it super recently then in GSF you’re not allowed to go on NPSI fleets (which are fleets where people from tonnes of different groups come together to shoot poo poo and have fun, if that’s what you’re actually asking) at all, whether they end up in friendly space or not.

Tbqh, I was simply asking what a NPSI fleet was. I hate seeing acronyms I can’t parse, especially in games I play. Seems kinda weird, but I’m pretty sure that doesn’t appeal to me. And then the whole “don’t piss off the diplos” just adds to that.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I will be happy when you can trade or even sell Evermarks/Paragon LP. My alt account(s) have tons (login/event rewards/etc), but I don’t put SKINs/emblems on their ships like I do my main.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

floppyspud posted:

Btw don’t use alpha injectors, if you’re using them daily it’s better to just plex omega, it’s not worth it.

But if you just need some random 120k instead of all the sp, alpha injectors are cheaper than a month of subscription fees. As long as you’re just topping off a skill for an Alpha they’re great (I say this as my home defense Alpha has 20M sp, including every single Alpha skill possible).

Edit:

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 29, 2023

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

floppyspud posted:

Yes, but if you’re gonna start using them daily it’s a big waste of money, which is exactly what I said before. About 1.8 bil per month for daily injectors, whereas omega is like 2.2 or something, where you will get more sp and all the other benefits.

How much money did you spend on injectors for that character and how often do you use it? Lol

Oh, absolutely it’s sub-optimal to use DAIs, at least compared to a simple always-running skill gain from subscribing. I wasn’t arguing that they’re “good,” more just “have their uses.” I used maybe only 6 (?) Daily Alpha Injectors, but after training the HD-alt skills I let the account lapse into an Alpha state. After it’d been Alpha for a month, but still claiming login rewards every day, CCP started sending emails (daily/weekly) and I was able to snag a 90 day sub for waaaay less than the normal price. Once he got to 9M sp, it sorta became a “project” character, where he would get all of the skills an Alpha was allowed. He trained with a full set of Basic (+3) implants. I know it was sorta silly, but the money I spent was just leftovers from the monthly entertainment budget. Once he got all the Alpha skills the “project” was over and he’s just a kickass Alpha pilot now 😇.

I’m pretty sure I only ever used 6 out of 10 NES Alpha injectors, btw, because I split the remaining 4 between two month-to-month subbed Omega accounts. If you’re on the ball about when your chars are going to lapse into Alpha, but plan on keeping them Omega, you can: 1) lapse to Alpha, 2) inject 50k sp via DAI, 3) immediately re-sub to Omega to continue training. I don’t continually do this, but I know I used the process 2x on both of my Omega alts. Turns out if you let your cash-subbed (I’m referring to paying by month via credit card instead of PLEX) get anywhere near running out Omega time CCP sends you pretty good deals via email like clockwork. I realize it’s goofy, and I probably should have spent the money on PLEX, Omega, or even training sp bundles for my main (or not spend the money, wtf?), but like I said it was just like paying to play a “Number Go Up” idle game. Anyway he’s on 19.9M sp and even has a few non-Alpha skills like the first II for PI and like Gallente Hauler III since the exact timing of Omega time ran a small bit longer than all the Alpha skills took to train!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Glad you got through; Covid and its restrictions were very hard for a lot of people, so I’m glad you were able to hang out with Evefriends at a time when socializing physically was a no-go.

Even the folks who “win” Eve hafta at least consider that for some folks, Eve may be the difference in having human connection every day with all that entails or sitting in your room alone for six months polishing your hunting rifles. Or whatever bad alone-time rabbit holes some might trip in to.

EVE Online…a force for good? 😇

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

dragonshardz posted:

If I were still a lonely egg, I would still be playing EVE.

Having a partner that I intend to spend the rest of my life with and Hot Girl poo poo to do means EVE no longer fills that need for human connection.

See, I’m on the other end…ever since before Covid because of my living situation I’ve pretty much been a shut in. I can’t risk getting even a cold because two out of the three folks at home have compromised immune systems (as an aside, Granny turned 100 today!). Nobody is allowed to just drop in, and my father and I still wear masks at the grocery store and do most shopping online anyway.

Most of my day to day socializing for four years has been via online methods. Sure, I “communicate” with friends and family daily, but a phone call really doesn’t replace a nice dinner. Seeing a movie together, no matter how many times a day you text/email your bff, just makes you feel better afterwards.

Eve has sorta bridged that gap for me since a posting buddy here on SA got me to give it a shot in 2022. I’ve enjoyed hanging out with new folks again. Voice coms are usually fun, and there’s always some Goon around to answer questions or process your asteroids. I’ve also liked meeting folks from around the world that I’d never have met before the internet. Maybe the fact that when I started playing Mittani was otw out helped, but I’ve had the best time playing a multiplayer game online since EverQuest in 1999. Even the d-name posters aren’t that bad :colbert:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

MarcusSA posted:

Where is the Eve dumbass questions thread?

I post here, so, um, here! In all seriousness most questions are answered quickly and often with a link or tip about how to not do whatever your question is about because there’s a better way to do it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Bible posted:

I enjoy mining but rats are often in the system (F7-ICZ). What is a good ship to train into to clear them out?

Myrm or Ishtar are premier ratting ships, but Mining Barges like the Procurer can tank a bit and throw out five medium drones to an Ishtar’s five heavies. It’s slower, but even a single Procurer + drones can take out a rat spawn of battleships with the caveat to watch your shields and maybe recall drones and warp off to build shields back up a bit before finishing them off. I mine in three Procurers or a Porpoise + two Procurers and 15 drones just melt belt rat spawns. And if you skill to Exhumers, a goddamn Skiff can tank just about anything rats can do all by itself.

Often I’ll make bookmarks of specific rocks with a covops ship, and if there are rats reship and deal with them, then mine. Not everyone multi-boxes, but mining is one of those activities that just scales well with a couple of accounts. As always, the real danger is other players.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Bible posted:

Thanks all, great info. I'm still in a Venture, but I'm making enough from mining that I'll be in something decent soon enough. I'll probably go the tanking route.

Yeah, don’t overlook gas mining, either. A Venture with a Probe Scanner can make bank for a new player in Wormhole spaces huffing gas, enough to pay for a ship with one full hold of space farts. It’s riskier, and easier/safer in a Prospect, but Ventures are way more versatile than they appear and can do a new player good!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I lost a single clone with a single 2% “Beancounter” implant. Logging in to relist my market goods, I found nothing in my item hanger. That’s when I discovered that every bit of my PI/minerals/explo loot had sold and I had more isk on my alt liquid than ever before!

Thanks, Jay!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CainFortea posted:

You know how people who get a bit of fame or success start to think they're smart about everything? People like doctors or Andrew Tate for an example?

I got my MD 22 years ago, and I don’t know poo poo about nuthin’

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

A Bad King posted:

How long can a lone drake survive deep in the heart of period base without standings or a prop mod.

Period base? Sounds like a female safe space to me…

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I feel your pain, I've spent the evening trying to round up about 25b in assets all stuck in AS. Not my idea of a good time.

I, too, feel pain with 25B stuck in my rear end

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Bigbillthaboss posted:

Us southerners have gotten more access to the internets.

I dunno, not a lot of Big Booty Latina stepsisters getting stuck in the dryer in West Tennessee.

Unfortunately…

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Feliday Melody posted:

I wish. That we had a thread for talking about Eve game stuff. Not all this endless snapping and bickering. It's been like this for a year and a half now. I don't remember if it used to be different. I think it used to be a little better.

Right now. The thread isn't good for anyone.

It was never better. I've been lurking Eve threads on SA since like 2006-2007, and the amount of catfighting and negative-ness never seemed to be "in good fun," or "inside jokes." It's because of these threads that I never even downloaded the game to try it out, because even the folks at "the top levels" of the game posted about how much they hated Goons and playing games with Goons. I always figured comms would be horrible, and that's not even taking into account gamer words and opinions.

A good posting buddy finally convinced me in 2022 to at least try it out for a month, and paid my first Omega after I learned basics of ship movement and piloting in the New Player Experience for about a month. This was right as the sub price went up and Mittani stepped down, so lots of changes were in the air. But all the negative posting, personal sniping, backstabbing, and general bad vibes from the SA Eve thread(s) were just...not there. All the Goons I played with and went on fleets with were genuinely helpful and tolerated my endless questions with good-natured humor and awareness. I never made more money on a single day in Eve than on my second fleet when I tackled the FC one jump out from 1DQ on the way home (I'd locked him so I didn't get too far away for fleet warps while traveling, and a neut came through a gate we were sitting at...I immediately scrammed, then webbed...only to figure out a minute later that the only one I had targeted was still Zintage). Everyone has been really open and nice, from mining to 10% TiDi structure bashes. I haven't been able to play as much as a I like recently, but folks on Discord and Jabber are still a lot of fun to chat with every day.

Sorry for Posting About Posting. <<<===D-Name supremacy

Fake Edit:

Jackdaws are awesome, and I feel like an X-Wing pilot whenever I come out of warp

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

IronZergling6 posted:

grew up with Barq’s Root Beer, its my favorite

More like Barf Buttbeer, amiright?😬

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
When you are in the tactical view mode, you can hold down the “approach” hotkey and double click select a point in space to fly to. You can single click, drag a line, move the mouse up or down to change relative vertical direction, and then single click again which is good for manually spiraling to a target.

Is there a way to do this type of movement with the plane you orbit at? Like if I drop a MTU, and want to orbit from straight over to straight under and back, without orbiting in a random plane, I cannot seem to do this. Like sometimes killing rats my Ishtar or Myrm orbits in the same direction of the rats’ approach, but I’d like to stay perpendicular while orbiting my point in space to keep transversal up instead of alternating in their direction to too far away. I tried the same method of selecting a point and changing relative altitude with my “orbit” hotkey, but it doesn’t change the random plane I end up circling around.

I’ve been playing this game for 18+ months, it’s driving me crazy.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Saithir posted:

No, you can't manipulate the orbit unless you simulate it manually with q-clicking like the spiraling you're doing.

Welcome to the true Eve Online experience.

Tbqh I feel much better just knowing that I’m not so inept that I couldn’t figure it out.

Also, :ccp:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ClCADA posted:

If the problem is taking too much damage from Rats because of your low transversal around an MTU, why don’t you just orbit the site or an object where the rats spawn to improve your overall constant transversal around the Rats Spawn location?

This is what I do when ratting Hubs and Havens; I just used the rats as an example folks would probably be familiar with. It seemed kinda hard to explain the question without an example. “How can I change the plane of my orbit to have 100% transversal against slow/static enemies?”—just comes out weird sounding to my ears.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Furnok Dorn posted:

do they sell underwear with that printed on the front

they really should

Tattooed over my butt

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

raminasi posted:

I describe it like smoking cigarettes. It's enjoyable in a way that's not quite "fun," you feel gross when you're done, and it makes you smell bad, but there's just something about it...

Well, at least smoking cigarettes is cool as gently caress.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nyan Bread posted:

Derek Smart! Derek Smart! DEREK SMART!

Nope, not gonna do it…

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Smegma Princess X posted:

Can't wait for the 1DQ- Goatse Mind Palace Keepstar

Omg, what is that Keepstar doing to its dock?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Hi guys, just wanted to take a minute to wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy new year, most of all good health! These days people don't spend much time or thought on some personal words to their friends and family, they just copy and paste some random message and send it on. So after all we've been through together this year I want to thank you for your friendship and wish you a happy and fulfilling 2018 - you’re the best gymnastics group anyone could ask for.

Best wishes, Helen

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

psilocybin laden posted:

i logged in to eve online

Gotta get them login rewards!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Cactus Ghost posted:

*draws from local deck* "who the hell is sesfan"

#1?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Libluini posted:

we need a rebalance

add hypercaps

Faction Dyson Spheres

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Cactus Ghost posted:

:v:: that mario image

:can:: I can't display images, but I can describe one if you'd like. Can you provide more details about the Mario image you're referring to?

:v:: rhe one goons post i n local

:can:: Ah, I see! Goonswarm Federation, one of the largest player alliances in EVE Online, is known for posting various images in local chat during their activities. Unfortunately, I can't access specific images posted in-game, but they often use humorous or iconic images from popular culture, including Mario, to convey messages or simply to add some fun to their interactions in EVE.

:tinfoil:

:sbahj:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

A Bad King posted:

The skill packs are kind of on sale if you'd like to spend real money on sp injections and boosters. I am fast tracking BLOPs, because the modern concept sounds fun.

This is especially true above the cutoffs of 50m & 80m SP. Above 80m SP especially; only getting 150k SP/injector around 900m isk/injector…sheesh.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Tuzy is my easily fooled character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic