Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Sam, Joy Stickem here. Have you heard about video games? They were a popular pastime in the late 20th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

im jerk joystickems and those alien bastards are gonna pay for making my games woke

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Booky posted:

speaking of dooky, why does jack trades keep complaining about anime...... they just did that earlier in the rpg thread of all places and ????
i'm glad you're trying to will your destructive powers at other bad posters

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

man nurse posted:

jack trades

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Joey McChrist posted:

nintendya tapes

nintendya own beezwax.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'm glad you're trying to will your destructive powers at other bad posters

Let booky submit a top 10 list, no questions asked.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
death to anime rpgs
where are the manga rpgs

Malah
May 18, 2015

man nurse posted:

jack trades

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

every time some freak talks about how great AI is going to be in 2045 in the Games forum, i want to dissolve their posts in acid leaving a dripping hole in the forums code

i hope at some point the forum can take a unilateral anti-AI stance because it sucks to read their posts every time and it's not the same poster either, it's different randos who Mr Bean into various threads with their pants down blathering. like this time it was the RPG thread with someone who kept having to be told over and over that they didn't understand a thing about how AI works. but it's also happened in the steam thread and it's happened in other threads and it bites every time

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't care about ai one way or the other

Seems overblown

The rpg thread sounds pretty awful based on this thread alone though

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

every time some freak talks about how great AI is going to be in 2045 in the Games forum, i want to dissolve their posts in acid leaving a dripping hole in the forums code

i hope at some point the forum can take a unilateral anti-AI stance because it sucks to read their posts every time and it's not the same poster either, it's different randos who Mr Bean into various threads with their pants down blathering. like this time it was the RPG thread with someone who kept having to be told over and over that they didn't understand a thing about how AI works. but it's also happened in the steam thread and it's happened in other threads and it bites every time

7th Guest is right, as a lurker it's getting really tedious to read

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

havent really seen any of this in the threads i read so it seems like something where you just punish people for posting bad imo, which is gonna be 99% of posts about ai. dont really think we need a list of forbidden topics or anything

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

studio mujahideen posted:

havent really seen any of this in the threads i read so it seems like something where you just punish people for posting bad imo, which is gonna be 99% of posts about ai. dont really think we need a list of forbidden topics or anything

We already have that list but I'm pretty sure it's just, rightly, vtubers at the moment

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

We already have that list but I'm pretty sure it's just, rightly, vtubers at the moment

Hrm... isn't there a vtuber who was named something like AI Miku or whatever? I say AI should be banned just off association

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

is the vtuber ban because goons were too creepy over them? or some other reason

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
let's ban ai discussion because every time it comes up it's always one dumbass endlessly refreshing the thread and replying to everyone dogpiling on them for pages and pages of tiresome nonsense

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

studio mujahideen posted:

We actually do have banned topics on SA. Aside from those topics that are obviously criminal and whose bans don't really need to be litigated, there's vtubers and posts depicting actual deaths. With vtubers it's a pretty soft ban. Nobody's going to nuke your post for bringing it up on occasion but the rules let anybody with a star tap the sign if a digression on the topic goes on too long. With deaths it's a hard ban with pretty instant punishments that very few people think is worth testing, much less challenging. Occasionally those very few people will broach the topic on loosening the ban but, to say that allowing people to post clips of other human beings dying on camera would drastically hamper others' experience of a thread is to put it very mildly. Usually the topic ends as quickly as it was brought up.

I'm okay with the topic of AI-the-buzzword (not AI the science fiction conceit or AI the computer controlled entities in games) being softbanned in the Games forum in the same way vtubers are. Not necessarily because discussion about ai as a topic is inherently problematic, obviously, but because the many times it's been brought up it's only been to a thread's detriment.

Trad Games has already taken the stance of explicitly allowing some ai posting because generating art for a personal tabletop or play-by-post roleplaying campaign is about as anodyne an application of the technology you can imagine. It's not outlandish or out of line to suggest another subforum do the opposite.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Games has banned topics. For example: The games industry

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leal posted:

Games has banned topics. For example: The games industry

and gamers.txt, despite people like kale trying to bombard every thread with that stupid poo poo

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

What if we just ban posting?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Scholtz posted:

What if we just ban posting?

Hm. Keep talking. No wait, don't!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RBA Starblade posted:

vtubers aren't even a banned topic just a banned thread
posting about them is fine as long as you're Normal about it and not posting about how kawaii your oshi's butt is or whatever. and if not you get probed just like you would for getting creepy about any other anime stuff.

what's banned is making a separate thread that no non vtuber fans will ever read (and so nobody will report / probe the post where someone eventually gets weird)

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

is the vtuber ban because goons were too creepy over them? or some other reason

yeah adtrw went though multiple iterations of closing the thread due to creeps, eventually remaking it, a few months later closing again etc until eventually they just said no more threads

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 24, 2024

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Folks, we’ve come a long way. it’s time to repeal the « no gamergate » rule

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I propose a new rule called "Punch Jay Rust on the arm"

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
the only AI that has EVER mattered and WILL ever matter is the sick rear end enemy pathing behavior in the original F.E.A.R.

:blastu:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

This is Radiant AI erasure, how dare you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbx6-KQoRg

mutata fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 24, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

behead those who post AI

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

ban all AI: Somnium Files chat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
People do already talk about gamergate here and there, that's not really a rule any more. Mostly because anyone pro gamergate would be hurled into the sea.

If AI discussion is derailing a thread definitely report at least so one of us can come in and try to shut it down. As for an actual rule I would leave that up to the boss. VG, that is.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

behead those who post AI

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I have reason to believe HopperUK is an AI moderator. For example, has anyone ever seen them outside? I rest my case.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge posted:

I have reason to believe HopperUK is an AI moderator. For example, has anyone ever seen them outside? I rest my case.

I mean this is fair I don't really go outside. It's awful out there.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

HopperUK posted:

the boss. VG, that is.

picturing kirby with an eye patch and green beret

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

picturing kirby with an eye patch and green beret

:kirby:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

every time i've seen ai discussion on here (like the recent rpg thread stuff) its been boring and tedious at best... please do something about this scourge

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
did you try quoting the boring tedious posters and saying "Shut Up!!!"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Shut Up!!!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i couldn't because the discussion had already moved on......

its a shame too those ai tl posters were really silly

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

On the one hand, I don't know if we needed a specific "don't talk about AI" rule because if people are posting bad, they should be told to knock it off or probed regardless of whether it's talking about AI.
On the other I agree that any time these discussions start up, none of them are interesting/good to read and tend to quickly devolve into multi page derails and slapfights.

In Games, the mods are generally of the mindset that we're not here to strictly enforce some sort of top-down culture on what the forum should be, that should be driven by the posters and we're just here to change thread titles help out and nudge things along when needed or to occasionally boot bigots/transphobes etc.
With that mindset, I think the idea is that how things should work is that someone starts kicking off about [thing], are told bluntly by the rest of the thread to shut the gently caress up about [thing], and then either they drop it, or they double down and things get lovely and by that time someone has reported it and a mod can step in to move things along.

In practice, with something like AI though where the same sort of posts are recurring over and over again and have so little chance of leading to any actual interesting/good discussion, that gets exhausting for people in the thread who just want to talk about whatever the thread is actually for.

I don't know if the answer is "make a rule for no AI discussion" though because that feels like a bandaid solution where a better change might just be us mods coming down firmer on people who derail threads with this sort of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
The site-wide rule for Bad AI Posting should be that if a non-mod, non-IK catches somebody doing it, they have the ability to appoint themselves Junior Deputy IK on the spot and tell that person to shut up and the Bad AI Poster isn't really supposed to fight back or argue.