Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

wizard2 posted:

The site-wide rule for Bad AI Posting should be that if a non-mod, non-IK catches somebody doing it, they have the ability to appoint themselves Junior Deputy IK on the spot and tell that person to shut up and the Bad AI Poster isn't really supposed to fight back or argue.

surely good ai posts are exempt though!
and i can tell my personal very important opinions on this subject fall into the good category

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

surely good ai posts are exempt though!
and i can tell my personal very important opinions on this subject fall into the good category

all jokes aside, I don't wish to know what a hypothetical good ai post is lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

wizard2 posted:

all jokes aside, I don't wish to know what a hypothetical good ai post is lol

If they scrape SA for their datasets we'll never have to worry about that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think there needs to be a rule but the mods need to come down harder on like, dumb bad faith arguing. like the example in the RPG thread technically wasnt proselytizing the ai driven future he was just responding to every single post about its limitations with 'but itll get better??????'

i think its possible to have a discussion about 'ai', its uses, and its limitations, but every time it comes up the conversation immediately drifts in that direction because of lowinfo people who think its a magical bean that theyve all just been sold and they just need to wait for it to grow. like the convo was about machine translation and for some reason the fact that that tech's existed since the 90s just went completely over said poster's head. its impossible to have a real discussion when the basic facts are something that get routinely ignored.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The recent ai derail in the rpg thread was incredibly tame and in no way remarkable. You could have had a completely identical derail about any other topic and it would have been just as unremarkable, and yet cuz it was about "AI" there's been a multitude of posts about it in here for some reason. Ppl kramering into threads firing off hot takes and derailing discussions is sort of part of the culture here on SA. If you can't put up with a bit of that every now and again then idk what to tell you

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's because it keeps happening

E: The matter is already settled, just pointing out the situation is a little different if it's the same hot take getting brought up multiple times, sometimes out of the blue.

Runa fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 25, 2024

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

All I can say is we had a somewhat recent AI derail in the PS5 thread from someone with even more deranged opinions on AI and we all had a good laugh for a bit and then forgot about it. I don't think anyone even reported it and the poster in question didn't get probed or anything either.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Cool.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

fridge corn posted:

All I can say is we had a somewhat recent AI derail in the PS5 thread from someone with even more deranged opinions on AI and we all had a good laugh for a bit and then forgot about it. I don't think anyone even reported it and the poster in question didn't get probed or anything either.

This is generally the right way to handle stuff like this IMO. If we probed for bad opinions in Video Games we'd need 7 more mods.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

next order of business: 3 day probes for using "kramering" in your post

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Yeah I feel like pro or “just asking questions” AI posts fall under “don’t be a tedious dipshit” and we don’t need a specific AI related rule.

Now mods if you could please reopen the game industry thread so we can armchair speculate on how AI will change game developers’ lives?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ps5 thread is uniquely awful so im not sure we should be using it as a baseline

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that said i also dont think this situation specifically demanded any kind of mod response beyond the guy getting probed and im unsure why booky rushed in here. i think their powers over life and death have gotten to their head

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Endorph posted:

the ps5 thread is uniquely awful so im not sure we should be using it as a baseline

:ironicat:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Why is the PS5 thread even in this subforum, anyways?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Scholtz posted:

lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Scholtz posted:

It's first game comes out tomorrow

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

please move the ps5 thread to a dedicated stellar blade forum, for all your stellar blade needs

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Scholtz posted:

lol

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

fridge corn posted:

The recent ai derail in the rpg thread was incredibly tame and in no way remarkable. You could have had a completely identical derail about any other topic and it would have been just as unremarkable, and yet cuz it was about "AI" there's been a multitude of posts about it in here for some reason. Ppl kramering into threads firing off hot takes and derailing discussions is sort of part of the culture here on SA. If you can't put up with a bit of that every now and again then idk what to tell you

you specifically should not be talking about how many dumb pointless arguments should be allowed into a thread before its a problem

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

next order of business: 3 day probes for using "kramering" in your post

I'm newmaning in to say I agree.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Endorph posted:

:emptyquote:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Uh, they called the 5th Playstation the Playstation 5? :raise:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

Hopefully once they get a game to talk about it will be better

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

you specifically should not be talking about how many dumb pointless arguments should be allowed into a thread before its a problem

I'm not here to relitigate that argument and nor is this the appropriate thread in which to do it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Troll + flame the AI freaks until they don't feel welcome anymore. Tis the proper Goon way.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Troll + flame the AI freaks until they don't feel welcome anymore. Tis the proper Goon way.

That's right.

It kinda worked on Rutibex

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ibram Gaunt posted:

No, I like the pawns

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I'm not here to relitigate that argument and nor is this the appropriate thread in which to do it

yes it is. court is in session bitc*

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kaysette posted:

This is generally the right way to handle stuff like this IMO. If we probed for bad opinions in Video Games we'd need 7 more mods.

i don't think giving someone six hours for being super annoying to force them to stop f5ing a thread is that big of a deal. you can practice on me if you're feeling a little gunshy

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Make me a mod. I'll probe everyone.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Scholtz posted:

Lmao

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

this.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's the difference between trolling and flaming? Thanks

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Flaming is hurling insults at a poster or their words. Trolling is trying to get a rise out of people in any way. so flaming is trolling, but trolling isn't necessarily flaming

There is another kind of flaming that is much better.

e: and now there's a robot dog that does flaming too so altogether I cannot keep up

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 25, 2024

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Jay Rust posted:

trolls are vulnerable to fire damage

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I will tell you the secret rule of trolling. It is

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I enjoy posting with my posting buddies in video games, and I think the moderators are doing a stellar job. I am sorry to hear some threads have issues, though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I will tell you the secret rule of trolling. It is

so many kirbies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

HopperUK posted:

so many kirbies!

Games rules and feedback: Bring back Kirby 64. With the lightsaber.