Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

not crash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly I would just like for people to drop the topic, it was getting pretty creepy. If someone with a star next to their name were to ask them to stop I think it'd help.

E: okay actually I think enough people posted complaints that the topic really did get dropped

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nephrite posted:

Some people seem to come out of the woodwork to tell people that Final Fantasy 16 is an RPG and their opinion about it is wrong because,

Is this really the thread for you to be restarting this argument completely out of the blue?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Didn't think people were reporting Dongicus, thought most people would just chuckle and move on with the convo. he was the only person who seemed to care about subs vs dubs these days and it seemed like a pretty benign bit

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Would not have taken any action at all if people weren't. I was a bit trigger-happy early on but these days I wouldn't take a moderation action on something I saw myself unless it was really bad, and almost nothing's really bad. It's more like - we all want threads to keep rolling and conversations to keep happening. And if someone's posting just to be lovely or to try to start arguments in a thread that doesn't seem to enjoy that, then we should probably try to intervene so the thread can continue. It's not a huge deal though and if Dongicus wants to go post in the Yakuza thread again and talk about the game I will not be throwing him in jail or anything. Probably coulda worded the probation reason more mildly.

that's reasonable, thanks hopperUK

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

studio mujahideen posted:

havent really seen any of this in the threads i read so it seems like something where you just punish people for posting bad imo, which is gonna be 99% of posts about ai. dont really think we need a list of forbidden topics or anything

We actually do have banned topics on SA. Aside from those topics that are obviously criminal and whose bans don't really need to be litigated, there's vtubers and posts depicting actual deaths. With vtubers it's a pretty soft ban. Nobody's going to nuke your post for bringing it up on occasion but the rules let anybody with a star tap the sign if a digression on the topic goes on too long. With deaths it's a hard ban with pretty instant punishments that very few people think is worth testing, much less challenging. Occasionally those very few people will broach the topic on loosening the ban but, to say that allowing people to post clips of other human beings dying on camera would drastically hamper others' experience of a thread is to put it very mildly. Usually the topic ends as quickly as it was brought up.

I'm okay with the topic of AI-the-buzzword (not AI the science fiction conceit or AI the computer controlled entities in games) being softbanned in the Games forum in the same way vtubers are. Not necessarily because discussion about ai as a topic is inherently problematic, obviously, but because the many times it's been brought up it's only been to a thread's detriment.

Trad Games has already taken the stance of explicitly allowing some ai posting because generating art for a personal tabletop or play-by-post roleplaying campaign is about as anodyne an application of the technology you can imagine. It's not outlandish or out of line to suggest another subforum do the opposite.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

wizard2 posted:

all jokes aside, I don't wish to know what a hypothetical good ai post is lol

If they scrape SA for their datasets we'll never have to worry about that

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's because it keeps happening

E: The matter is already settled, just pointing out the situation is a little different if it's the same hot take getting brought up multiple times, sometimes out of the blue.

Runa fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 25, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Scholtz posted:

Why is the PS5 thread even in this subforum, anyways?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Probably not, but if I'm correct I'm pretty sure they have the same developer.