Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

And also uniforms really don't do that, otherwise the least classist schools in the country would be the old money public schools with formal dress codes, and I'm fairly sure that is not the case.

Even (especially?) in full tie and blazer and your-trousers-must-be-this-shade-of-charcoal schools rich kids will just use dress shoes or watches or items of jewellery that the staff wouldn't dare complain about like gold crucifixes to show off.

Especially now that phones are such a marker of that kinda poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jakabite posted:

I’d be grabbing a fake beard and some glasses asap tbh

Ah yes, the lesser known form of marxism.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Scotsgoons I have found your quintessential national embarrassment https://twitter.com/duckyle2nd/status/1695072313123721695

My favourites are Fire Emblem Three Houses (the gayest fire emblem??), BIOSHOCK, and for some reason Megaman Zero.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Also it doesn't have anything to do with ND people. I don't want a big dog jumping on me and sometimes I do, but the owners can't tell that at a distance so maybe don't have your dog lunge at people?? If your dog is well trained enough to not do that off lead, and not to disturb the rivers with chemicals or the local wildlife it's probably fine, but that's not the typical off lead dog experience.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

feedmegin posted:

In my opinion pickled onion monster munch is the best monster munch also chocolate oranges are Good Actually

I can't help but feel that this is very targetted.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

RIP Camrath, he was a good person and I always enjoyed our chats.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jakabite posted:

It makes me so mad that we seem to constantly lose the best and kindest of us and cunts like this linger on forever, with their heads attached to their shoulders and nary a care in the world.

loving Henry Kissinger is still alive somehow, that decrepit loving war criminal! The world is wildly unfair.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

kecske posted:

I had no idea this was such a heavily lurked thread

Back when the thread used to do polls we'd get hundreds (sometimes almost a thousand iirc) answers to the poll despite the thread having under 50 regulars.

Lurkers: :justpost:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Run a poll on chocolate oranges? It's possible you are the spokesperson for a silent majority.

I don't doubt it for a second!

HopperUK posted:

Yeah you can just say stuff and if you're being genuine the thread will be okay.

Yeah nobody gives a poo poo, we're all idiots. :justpost:

IllusionistTrixie posted:

You can't make me post!

:smuggo: All according to keikaku

Oh a page snipe! ON THIS DAY IN 335 (yeah you read that right) The Church of Holy Sepulchre consecrated in Jerusalem. This causes no issues in the future except that one ladder that nobody is allowed to move anymore

Miftan fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 13, 2023

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Wait, we're NOT supposed to poo poo up this thread? I can't imagine how bad the designated shitposting threads must be lmao

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Solefald posted:

Any of you goons actually going to The World Transformed?

Pretty sure there's a goon here who works for TWT. Was it Fakename?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I think I would have almost definitely thought I was non binary if I was growing up today and had the vocabulary to articulate that sort of thought instead of "football sucks I wish some of my friends liked the same things as me".

Getting people to ask those questions is great, and sometimes the answer is "huh I guess I am a straight, cis person" and that's fine. Nobody is concerned by teenagers being goths or w/e but maybe that's because goths don't sack capitals anymore I dunno

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Complete tangent. Saw some kids wearing the exact same nu metal look huge black jeans with chain the other day, just as I did as a kid.
I thought that was one of the trends that was so awful it would never come back but I guess all fashion is circular.

I saw someone in JNCOs the other day. Made me do a proper double take.

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like you can ask the same question, come to something like the same answer, and still conceptualize it differently. I have no idea what I am, I don't think I ever have and until I got introduced to trans stuff and gender theory I thought this was how everyone worked. It took me a long time to understand the concept of "a gender identity" because the only concept of it I've ever had of gender is something that is enforced from outside. Everyone says you're an [x] so you must be one.

But that framework is entirely accommodating of, and useful for understanding, apathy on the subject. And the idea that you can just be whatever you want to be and you don't have to do stuff just because someone looked at you and decided you have to do x, y, and z because that's part and parcel of being your assigned gender and you don't get a choice in that, that's far more consistent and sensible to me than trying to crush the entire world and range of possible thoughts a human can have into this absurd pair of boxes and then pretending like nothing can exist outside that.

By far the most compelling takeaway, to me, from the recent proliferation of better ideas about sex and gender is that you can just do the things you think are important, be the things you think it's important to be, and that if some weirdo comes along and starts telling you "well you can't do that because you're not the right type of person" like loving, real life dnd classes or some poo poo, then they're the ones in the wrong. Once you start thinking outside of that then people who try to push that just look completely insane. And it's tiresome how much effort goes in to desperately trying to shore up the idea that that's the normal and correct way to think and everything else is going to collapse society.

I think this is a much healthier way to look at it, to be honest. Putting labels on people is useful shorthand sometimes but completely insufficient to describe people. This even applies to something like "good" or "bad" which is quite controversial. It's useful shorthand for describing someone who regularly does good or bad things, but falls short when a Tory accidentally does something good, for example and people refuse to accept it. Broken clock and all that.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Nuclear Spoon posted:

fond memory of looking at the nice pastel hoodies in the women's section in primark and a shop assistant asking me if i needed direction to the men's section

You can just buy and wear those if they're the right size. There's no laws about it or anything!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i'm actually wearing the tasteful mint hoodie i bought on that occasion right now

I've got a pink one that says "Sharing is Caring", it's fantastic.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Hoodies and tshirts, absolute simplistic yet genius.
And it took near 2000 years to invent them.
The next evolution of the hoodie will be a onsie but its cargo pants lower half, hoodie upper.

Frankly i'm amazed onesies/rompers have caught on as much as they have. Seems very annoying if I need sit down on a toilet.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

The pastels and pinks don’t necessarily match with the shaved head, big beard and significant amount of visible tattoos and facial piercings but who gives a poo poo?

They absolutely do.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

School uniforms are dumb, just like calling your teachers by their last name and feel like a remnant of some Victorian poo poo. The only reason I've ever heard for them is 'stops bullying based on having cheap clothes' which never happens because kids can get different shoes or phones or backpacks or notebooks or that kids know which areas are the "rough" areas to live in.

My school uniform was literally 'plain shirt or jumper with the school logo ironed onto it' which is as inoffensive as you can get with a school uniform and it was still dumb.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I've changed my mind: uniforms are good because they're conditioning kids to understand that the people who are in charge and make the decisions that impact their lives (but never the decision maker's life) are all loving idiots.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

The excuse my school always came out with any time it tried to feebly enforce the uniform was "it prepares you for work where you will be expected to follow a dress code" but bro, work pays me.

I've never had a job with a dress code that didn't also provide the clothes free of charge soooooo

OwlFancier posted:

Unfortunately it seems that it also produces a section of them who think it's all a very good idea, and they go on to be the ones in charge next.

I suspect this is just a fact a life, but I will still always think uniforms are stupid. As is calling your teachers by their last name which is even worse imo. Who gives a poo poo.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Gort posted:

Yeah, when I was a postman they even gave me the shoes.

Even mediocre places will get you shoes if you need them for safety reasons (steel toed, etc.) or health reasons (walking a ton like a postman or the army or whatever). The fact that schools make you pay for your own uniform is probably a net drain on poorer households. Sure, your kids won't get mocked (they will, even if it's for something else), but at least now you can't afford the heating!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Reveilled posted:

I'm curious then, what was school like for the rest of you? Culturally I mean, among the kids, was there no sense of, like, group solidarity? I had a friend group of about 5 people when I was a teenager, but that friend group was part of a "mosher" subculture (which wasn't just moshers, it was the nerdy kids, the skaters, the music kids, the goths and so on), which would have been about 30 kids in my year, before you count the kids in years above or below. Nobody in that group would have mocked each other for their wealth (some of our friends were upper middle class, some were living in council flats, some were refugees). If you got isolated from the rest of your group you could get bullied (if you had to get home alone, for example), but it'd always be from people in other groups, and the bullying would be a in-group/out-group thing, not a rich/poor thing.

Sometimes the group is "rich kids" who did a great job of bullying people in my school without a uniform so

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Were there no other groups in the school? Were the rich kids the largest group?

Apologies if the questions sound weird! I feel a bit like an alien today realising my own school was apparently very not normal.

No, there were multiple other groups which don't translate as well since it wasn't an anglophone school and they sometimes bled into each other. The rich kids weren't the biggest group, but there were a lot of them since there is a really well off neighbourhood near the school. Some of the rich kids were dicks about how much stuff they had, but they never actively went 'you're a loving poor' to anyone or mocked people for having shittier clothes or anything, as far as I can remember, and they got as good as they gave when they were being dicks to someone in another group.

I was a massive loving dork and I wasn't actively being bullied at any point, but certain cliques had rivalries that sometimes devolved into fights.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

What’s the link that causes less stop and search to directly lead to less murders?

Obviously the graph is the graph but why is the graph

Speaking completely out of my rear end, but I assume that when cops stop doing dumb bullshit that doesn't help, it frees up some of their time to do a small amount of things that actually might help, sometimes.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Anne? I've always been impressed that she said "No, no titles for my children, thanks." She also doesn't seem to say stupid things very much (in front of cameras, anyway).

All the royals are fantastically wealthy and therefore assholes.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Having 'pregnancy' as just its own thing and being openly honest that it can go wrong in many different ways is probably the healthiest option, because the whole reason behind

was due to needing a difference between the types of spontaneous terminations that did or did not require a priest to deliver rites, so maybe these days let's just really not, unless specifically requested.

We can admit that teratomas and strange blastocysts and germ cell tumours all exist, that the process of gestating is a long and complex thing, that things can go wrong, and also tell both the clergy and the courts to just maybe stand back a bit, just for a few months eh, unless they are specifically requested to get involved.

I dunno I kinda like calling it "gestating". That's some sci-fi alien poo poo and sounds as metal as the whole process actually is.

Sure your teeth might fall out, you might get (temporary??) diabetes and your body will be stretched beyond every limit imaginable but at the end you scream and through blood and sweat and tears (both kinds) you produce a human who is also bloody and screaming. And what do you call this act? Gestation!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

That was the exact thing I was thinking of, so I'm glad(?) I could convey it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

but what percentage of our mashed potato do we import

I'm not sure what the exact number is, but I know It's. A. Disgrace!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

The Tories really are loving worthless in the pandemic, it's a miracle we're only as hosed as we are.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Rugz posted:

The answer is to give them a brand to be drawn towards that they can actually identify with at the surface level. This is the age of the internet, where if something doesn't grip you in the first 5 seconds you go somewhere else. Whatever the merits of it may be for downtrodden men, feminism is not going to attract them when compared to someone saying they have all the answers and you should be really angry about it. Young men aren't going out looking for a cause, they are looking for consideration, when they find it in a MGTOW zealot they inherit the cause. Now imagine if there was a minister whose brief covered male healthcare uptake, male workplace wellness and male crime prevention notionally called a men's minister. It doesn't matter if the zealots are crying that it isn't what they were asking for (and it isn't) but their interest base has been eroded because now you have somewhere for young men to latch on that isn't controlled by incels, and whose problems can actually be solved by the created position (although this is mostly irrelevant, because the problem being fixed is the one of first contact).

The alternative is to just wholesale tell every man with problems that isn't enamoured with feminism that they are the problem and not worth fixing.

Recently a poll suggested that as many as 1 in 6 young boys have a positive opinion of Andrew Tate, do you consider these to be formative fascists 'buying into men's rights'? Are you prepared to discard that proportion of the next generation to 'I don't care go away' while making no steps to address the situation that gave rise to their existence? Do you think feminism is the answer to a problem that arose despite the existence of feminism?

If the men's minister actually did things that were positive for men, they'd be branded woke and ignored/mocked by the right. I agree that you need to bring these young men in somehow, but creating a men's minister does less than nothing to achieve that - you need propaganda. And if you're conceding that you need propaganda you may as well use it to bring them onside with feminism, the thing that already does what they want, instead of creating another ministerial paycheck.

There might be room for a junior minister under equalities who deals specifically with the male stuff, but in theory that office should already be on it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

drat forkboy, I didn't know you were secretly jerembly corbnylyn??

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

I've found it easy just in every day life to push left wing positions by framing them as "common sense".

For instance, why do we allow our utilities to be structured in such a way that a significant amount of the money that we pay towards it doesn't get reinvested back into it? That money goes out on things like shareholders and advertising and so on, why not just simplify everything, kick out the middle men and let out money be used on actually maintaining and improving on it? Thats just common sense, right?

And right there I've just made a decent case for nationalising our utilities. I doubt this would work as a political message, partly because every right winger would be screaming "thats just like communism where fifty billion people died every second" and every smug New Labour oval office would be dismissing it with "I think what voters would want is more choice".

This works pretty well on a one to one basis, but like Spangly said the problem with left wing ideas and branding isn't anything inherent to them, it's that everyone with power and money will use all of their power and money to say "they're wrong and also a threat to YOUR family". This will work because when you're dealing with that level of propaganda (as opposed to one on one), it's not about the content, it's about repetition and how many sources it comes from.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Solefald posted:

Huh I thought Homeopathy already was on the NHS but I just saw they finally stopped recommending it in 2017.

I went to a bunch of talks and debates on the whole thing around 2012 as I remember it being discussed a lot at the time (I think the law was being reviewed? Idk). The local Skeptical Society was big on trying to educate people on it and the sheer amount of money the NHS was wasting on homeopathic treatments.

I think royal charlie was lobbying the government for it because, to nobody's suprise, he's a giant loving moron. It was in the "black spider memos" which sounds much cooler than it actually is.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

imo it's hard to put a hard line of THIS is where you're no longer working class. There are people who have to work for a living - they are working class. There are people who make money simply by having money. Sometimes it's because they're BTL landlords, sometimes they're old money, or sometimes they worked for a bit and made so much money they retired at 30, like professional athletes, and now live off investments they made then. They are bourgeoisie.

You can move between classes, and "middle class" is just a way of saying you can't exist solely off your money, and still have to work, but you still have non-labour income. For example, you can be a BTL landlord and still need a job, because you've got your own mortgage which would probably make you "middle class". You can also outright own your house and have a BTL property that means you make enough money to not need to work. You can also own a company where you do no work, and simply steal the surplus value your employees create. The precariousness of your position within the bourgeoisie class is irrelevant to if you are in it or not.

Some people use "middle class" to mean 'makes over a certain amount of money' which is a bad way to look at it. An office worker, a lawyer, and a janitor have more in in common with each other than that the bloke round the pub who owns 4 BTL properties but had factory worker parents and only drinks Carling or w/e.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 1, 2023

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I'm not as active as I used to be with posting, but I try to keep up with the thread every day. I'm happy to probate all you degenerates who post in favour of chocolate oranges as well as the occasional racist.

Njan99 is a fine poster nowadays even if his posting style is a cross of "cheeky lad" and "panel show oops I wasn't supposed to say that! ;)", but that's not ideal for an ik imo

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

You sold post more OP

I know, but real life keeps getting in the way of me getting sick owns on bad posters. Also this thread has some real quality regulars so by the time I'm caught up someone has usually articulated what I was thinking much better than I would have.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

sinky posted:

Very :ironicat: to say that while the government is planning to use photographs from the passport agency to identify shoplifters, somehow.

also lol at councils having enough money to pull something like this off. Half of them are bankrupt and the other half are just barely managing to provide the basic services they have to. And in this sort of world, people genuinely think that councils are gonna have enough money/manpower/time to enforce 15 minutes cities somehow?? Even with an infinite budget it'd be a stretch.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

frankenbeans posted:

That's not gonna work, my new (brexit blue) passport photo is the epitome of resting bitch face, and when I'm shoplifting, I'm always smiling. They'll never put 2 and 2 together.

The subdued giggling may give you away when trying to scan a PS5 as 3 onions at the self checkout.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Is this what I think it is

Absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

fuctifino posted:

He shaved it off as a protest, as him cancelling his career through his own actions is similar to people being sent to camps, like the what happened to the Jews during WW2, or civil rights campaigners in the US. I'm paraphrasing, but he said this either on the recent Andrew Tate stream or with some other rapey fascist chud

e: Ah, just as I typed that, the video popped up on my feed again.
https://twitter.com/GBNewsSpin/status/1709297737185771880

He said his prisoner number was 24601 when he did it, so apparently he either stole bread or didn't really understand les mis at all. Potentially both.