Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Scientastic posted:

My local Sainsbury's has mince pies in stock. It made me a little bit sad, but also made me woner "who is eating mince pies in August?"

My mate Mike, who last year did reviews of every different brand of mince pie he could get his mittens on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Ed Sheeran seems to have embarrassed himself even further by scabbing.

https://twitter.com/SBWorkersUnited/status/1695502440148197822

Fully expect LadBaby to scab a postal strike in December.

What a oval office. And I thought he'd never find a way to annoy me more than releasing his lovely disposable records on vinyl, clogging up the production line so stuff from labels who kept the medium alive only gets released months after the CD sometimes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

I’m not even sure what one would respond other than ‘haha good one’ or as the internet people say these days ‘🤣🤣🤣🤣 looking into it’

I mean it was a decent joke but I wouldn’t bet the house on it (🤣)

Is there some JUICY GOSSIP I’m not aware of here or something

You just say "yes m8"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fuctifino posted:

I try to always try to ask people who use woke as a pejorative to define the word. I find it hugely entertaining watching them fail.

Sounds like something the wokearati would say...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Soylent Yellow posted:

Granite worktops are actually very durable.

I'd personally choose laminate worktops, as they're cheap, durable, and low maintenance.

The engineered stone worktops (usually sold as Quartz) are popular because you can do a lot of things with them you can't do with laminated chipboard, and they're also pretty much indestructible.

Most of my dealings with wood worktops involve me trying to talk people out of buying them. They look impressive once newly fitted, but require constant maintenance to keep them that way. As they're porous, you also have to be very careful with spillages.

Yes, my folks got wooden kitchen surfaces installed and it's nothing but a pain. Have to oil them every 3-6 months to lessen the damage done by spills, but there's still warping & discolouration around the sink.

Just more effort than you want to put in.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Funny thing is I've never seen anyone bullied by conspicuous consumption or lack thereof in Czechia, where uniforms are basically non-existent.

Could just be a coincidence (though there was a plenty of bullying I've seen over the years) but if anything I think the focus on appearance from school uniforms might make the problem worse, since as noted you can just use other status symbols. Or maybe it's just Britain being a very class/status obsessed country.

It's the later.

But also just teens are feral monsters, they'll always find something about someone in a other social group that's different and really just go for it. Different colour of hair, cheap brand of shoes, wrong taste in music, whatever.

Which is why the uniform thing is nonsense, if you all wear the same uniform they'll just find something else if they are inclined to bully

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Just sack them both & offer Theresa May their jobs

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Boy, that New Labour reshuffle. Liz Kendall at Work & Pensions

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/13/liz-kendall-backs-harriet-harman-in-labour-welfare-row

Steve Reed at Environment. Hilary Benn at Northern Ireland. Cool stuff

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

LOL the media are going to force her sacking now as revenge. Very funny

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/05/germany-refuses-extradite-albanian-man-uk-jail-conditions

A court in Karlsruhe has refused to extradite a man accused of drug trafficking & money laundering because of the miserable state of British conditions.

loving hell

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rusty old corrugated iron.

Unless the school in question is private, in which case it must he built from marble

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Is it really a meltdown is this is the sort of content he regularly puts out too gain followers?

That he meltdowns down as a profession doesn't defer from it being a meltdown

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mebh posted:

I do feel somewhat bad for twitch streamers, not really angry ham guy there, but there's a lot who are earning a barely supplemental income because they play some poo poo game every night that 100 people watch, and they've been stuck doing it for 10 years and there's literally no way out. It's like some weird hell purgatory.

Some of them look just so goddamn dead inside is all.

They could get a real job and be miserable and dead eyed from that instead.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Look, they are in opposition, that means having to make the tough decisions like having no solutions to anything

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

"The Met Office has said temperatures could be 4C hotter than the Spanish island of Ibiza and British temperatures could also be warmer than Ayia Napa in Cyprus (30C) and Athens in Greece, where it could be 27C on Thursday."

Fortunately a more pleasant 20°C up in the far north but it's always a good and healthy sign when it's warmer in Melton Mowbray than it is in the Med

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

There's nothing particularly crazy about the current weather, just than as part of normal weather patterns hot air has come over from Africa taking a circular route over the Atlantic, while the Med has a more "typical" weather pattern for this time of year.

Is flooding a regular weather pattern for central Spain?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

Climate change sucks but 28C is the perfect temperature so in many ways this is great news for me personally. It does make 5 a side an extremely sweaty affair mind.

Wow, fake Brit over here, not acting like 25° is akin to standing on the surface of the sun

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Been running 5-10Ks in New York all this week in 30C+ and high humidity and it feels insane. Didn't know my eyeballs could sweat like that

Those are called tears OP

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Can't believe someone would admit to breathing air

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I do not think I could escape prison by holding onto the bottom a van.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Really? Why?

I just assume I'd accidentally grap the exhaust pipe and then fall off & get driven ofver.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The trick to avoid falling off a big chimney is to remember you can only do it once.

I get the fear just watching him doing his steeplejacking thing. What a guy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ellspurs posted:

They seemed to have found him somewhere in Chiswick:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66763054

It's honestly a very poor show, didn't even make it out of the Congestion Charge area. Feel like he'd have done better if he got further from London. Go somewhere on the east coast & steal a boat, then you're on the continent. You'd probably need to do it quick but I feel like a minor disguise you'd be fine on a bus out of London. It's either that or you stay local & stay out of sight for a week or two until the media have moved on to other stories & thus you increase the chance of not being spotted by members of the public.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

I’d be grabbing a fake beard and some glasses asap tbh

Bare minimum, sunglasses & a baseball cap deal. Could probably also go for a wig, doesn't need to be a great one that stands up to close inspection, just something that makes you less obviously you at a glance.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Scotsgoons I have found your quintessential national embarrassment https://twitter.com/duckyle2nd/status/1695072313123721695

Ah, the quintessential conservativism of...Dead or Alive Xtreme 2, the beach volleyball game spin-off of a fighting game whose Wiki page contains this gem: "During the development process, creator Tomonobu Itagaki stated that he would not be adding activities like trampoline games and wet T-shirt contests to the series. He indicated that he felt that this would come off as vulgar and "show the women in a negative light"." and Quake, because I guess I wish more conservatives would try IRL rocket jumping?

Also I don't think someone with a union flag emoji can be our national embarrassment, he's shared with the rest of this shithole country.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sanford posted:

Suella Braverman pushes for ban of ‘lethal’ American bully XL dogs

I think it’s the first thing I’ve ever heard from her that doesn’t immediately make me recoil in disgust. I suggest she releases two dozen of said dogs into Conservative HQ to prove how dangerous they are.

Edit: and for once I am very not on side with the charities. Dogs Trust says the focus should be on “early intervention” to prevent dog bites, so as long as your insane and aggressive hound hasn’t bitten anyone before, go ahead and release it into a field of children.

Should just ban dogs tbh you wouldn't own a wolf

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Fun and not totally predictable story from The Guardian

Voter ID in England lead to racial and disability discrimination, report finds

The authors found that “polling clerks are more likely to fail to compare a photo ID to the person presenting that document if the person is of a different ethnicity”.

They also highlighted the case of Andrea Barratt, who is immunocompromised and was blocked from entering a polling booth after refusing to remove her mask for an identification check.

The report says: “Their decision in that instance was … clearly discriminatory (and potentially unlawful) because they denied Andrea Barratt the right to cast a ballot purely on the basis of circumstances which arose as a direct result of a disability.”

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

People were screaming for the Staffordshire bull terrier to be banned a couple years ago. Now the number of incidents linked to them has fallen despite their ownership numbers barely moving. Its now the Bully XL that has caught the Daily Mails eye.
It was Rottweilers and dobermans when I was growing up that was the evil dog breed.

There are certain types of owners who want strong powerful breeds and want them to act aggressive. You can't solve that problem with a banned breed list.

I don't know what the answer is but I agree with the RSPCA that the banned list is ineffective.

I've been bitten more by annoying little yappy dogs that were bred to chase hares and foxes for toffs than by pitbull and similar dogs.

Honestly, a lot of people shouldn't be allowed to own dogs, because they are too lazy or cruel or stupid or whatever. The breed is less the problem than the people.

Although I'm all in favour of banning the musician Pitbull

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

Can we please not become the US though, where people aren’t allowed to have their dogs off leash anywhere but a ‘dog park’ whatever that is

oh no a Labrador came and sniffed me how will I survive

Sure, if we have laws stopping idiots from owning predators instead. And then you know that the enforcement of that law is going to be racist as poo poo.

Just have a hamster or something.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 11, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Would you rather fight three chihuahua sized staffies, or one staffy sized chihuahua?

why the hell not, if a dog blesses you with its attention you should be grateful for the purest love the universe can know

Because I don't trust the person who owns the dog to have trained the dog enough so that a sniff doesn't turn into a bite. Like honestly, how many bad experiences with other peoples dogs do you have to have before you're allowed to be deeply distrustful of them?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Almost as if there's an entire sub-forum for people to talk about dogs & other pets.

So to at least try & take the thread away from what will end up being an 18 page, 3 day long diversion where everyone talks past everyone else, I see the HMV bid to take over half of the Wilkos stores has been turned down, so that's the workers hosed.

And also Lord Agnew has come out and said that when he was a Minister during the May years the Treasury refused to front up money outside of the standard Education budget for the schools that desperately needed to replace RAAC. What a farce.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Aramoro posted:

I was wondering how our Landlord reforms were going up here in Sunny Scotland.

https://twitter.com/donturvLDR/status/1699344711402639487?s=19

Going great it seems

Landlords (not even all of them, just the loving AirBnB parasites) are truly oppressed by being made to fill in some paperwork before the end of this month, which they have had loving ages to do. And whom amongst us can forget the great Odessa Pogrom during 1905, with over 400 Jewish residents killed by the onslaught of paperwork, & over 1,500 Jewish owned businesses destroyed by angry bigoted crowds of bureaucrats forcing them to close for not filling in the appropriate forms.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Probably the same as this one I snapped last night

Which I'm pretty sure is a cross orbweaver as others have said.

Came down this morning to find it had made a web pretty much covering the kitchen door which is very cool but not very practical. Had to break it to let the dog out, sorry spider!

One had cleverly done it over the kitchen door, but only higher up. So for days I was ducking down to go out. And another managed to have a Web across the path, from the bins to the hedge. A good 2 metre span, and perfectly positioned to capture lots of stuff, very smart. Except I needed to take the bin round to get emptied so 2 days later I had to destroy it and felt guilty

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No it loving isn't, and don't weaponise neurodiversity/typicality that that.

If you're agreeing with NJAN99, maybe reflect on that

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Good to see my prediction that this would go on for days with everyone talking past each other hasn't come true

If this was CSPAM I could save us the endless dog chat by saying something mildly critical about the USSR or Leninism but that is less effective here.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Office of Environmental Protection are concerned ministers have broken the law and foolishly expect something to happen about it, loving marks.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/sep/12/ministers-may-have-broken-law-over-sewage-dumping-in-england-says-watchdog

"...an investigation suggested the government, the Environment Agency and Ofwat may be failing to comply with environmental law and allowing raw sewage to be discharged by water companies more frequently than the law allows."

A shocking revelation for us all I'm sure.

Mega Comrade posted:

Say something mildly praising the Lib Dems.

Steady on, there's no call for that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rappaport posted:

Not sure if this would help or complicate matters to be honest

I wonder if he let his cats go outside and poop all over though?

It's why Stalin isolated him and withheld his Last Testament, revenge for the cat poo poo.

https://twitter.com/mgshanks/status/1701513186258649308?t=TbCDZhjxczbxJKbrXjOFLQ&s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/TeltheTrekkie/status/1701538851397734652?t=hhymVc2p8Lm-2IPJFNV_HQ&s=19

Absolutely exquisite posting

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ah jesus, that's really floored me. Always seemed like such a genuine & lovely guy. Heart goes out to his close friends & family.

Take care of each other goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Microplastics posted:

Huh, well remembered. Do you also recall how they built the pyramids

Put one brick on top of another until it's done