Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

VERY REAGANESQUE

I thought i lost my pet pidgin, but it had just become a creole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

kinda OT but sad news for anyone who liked to watch Sabine Hossenfelders videos, just released this turd into the toilet bowl that's youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRPHp2EjNR8

she's done a video or two "just asking questions" about trans children before so it isn't surprising she's diving into the ol' "i am good at a specific field of science therefore my thoughts on everything are great" rabbit hole

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

a school can collapse for many reasons,

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

fuctifino posted:

When I first saw the 'Most schools unaffected' graphic when it was shared by a friend, I thought it was a shoop

Why isn't the biased lefty media giving us credit for all the schools that aren't falling down

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I don't think this is particularly a smoking gun in itself, she just says she wanted people to think he was an antisemite and told the media that a lot. it's quite possible she actually believes both that it's true and she was doing good important work exposing the evil jam man

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

fuctifino posted:

You mean piss diamonds?

That's if you don't stay hydrated

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

if someone hands me a plate that is 100% roasted parsnips and a bit of gravy i'd still probably have a good time

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

How is it this difficult? There must be an easier way.

1. Kidnap Z the IVth
2. Force them to do it for you
3. Release them, I guess (optional)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

I know everyone else loves stuffing, but I am right and the rest of the world is wrong. This is my chocolate orange.

- me sitting by myself at the snack table during the orgy

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

since the article is paywalled i tried searching for more info and one of the first results is a paper from 1985 on how eutrophic the lake is

so uh, seems like this is not the first set of civil servants ducking the issue

this is unacceptable. why won't the civil service act. the lake should be britrophic :mad:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Tony Blair was just building up political capital and secret communist armies so that the means of production could be seized from the capitalists. If only this fine nation had voted for 10 more years of Labour government he would be able to unleash them.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Rosie Duffield in sore loser article:

https://archive.ph/bPY2c

thanks unherd for trying to save me from reading the transphobia part by putting a subscription popup on top of that paragraph

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

"the kind of public services and living that they have come to think they expect and deserve"

literally Better Things Aren't Possible, inspiring

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

just make sure you go armed with evidence and not armed, with evidence

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

if you ever see a dog going wild on the streets, run up to it and let it maul you to shreds as death is preferable to having to read the ensuing internet dog discourse

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I have no great wisdom to contribute about Camrath, but I will miss the guy and his fudge.

Mega Comrade posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-66709052
Trans guidance is needed in schools, parents tell BBC

in which the "LGBT correspondent" and "LGBT producer" tell the story of a trans child supported by his parents while also, for necessary balance you understand, also including the story of an unsupportive parent living through the terrifying scenario that a child changed their name and pronouns for a bit and then changed them back again. irreversible damage. also the child might not be 100% neurotypical so can you really trust her to make any decisions about herself. incisive reporting.

the headline is great too because what these two parents want is completely different but they get lumped together. People Want Government To Do Things, Not Do Other Things

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Bit of a tangent but I have always wondered how common temporary gender dysphoria (I'm not sure if that's the right way to phrase it) is during puberty. I had a period of maybe about 6-12 months when I was about 14ish where I strongly wished I was a girl. I never told anyone about it at the time, and then at some point it just disappeared and those feelings never came back. It's not really one of those things that's easy to talk about because I feel like people will make assumptions about ulterior motives.

I imagine it probably is something that some people go through temporarily, and will be doing more often as people become more aware of trans people. You're right that the transphobes often use this idea as something to beat trans people with (look, see, it's just a phase!) so it's hard to talk about. They often see someone changing pronouns or trying new names as an irreversible change that will lock them in on the trans ideology train if not swiftly corrected, but people going through phases and coming out the other end comfortably cis shows this isn't the case at all.

Now there's not been much of that in the past, but only because people haven't known enough about being trans to give it a shot. Letting people try out genders in a low-pressure environment is obviously good for people who end up being trans, but for those who end up being cis I think it would be pretty good too! Gender and one's relationship to it is pretty worthwhile to think about given like, all of society. And also once someone has had a chance to quickly try being trans and realise that's not them, they can get onto figuring out what else might be going on, if there is anything.

I think as much as transphobes claim to be "protecting" people questioning, the all-or-nothing approach they go for when pretending to accept the "real" trans people just makes it harder. If you can't dip your toe in the water and have to go through years of suffering and legal documents just to get some rear end in a top hat to call you the right pronoun then it's going to take much longer to figure out it's not for you, not to mention the refusal to acknowledge that people can be "a bit" trans, or have a gender identity other than male or female, or just be different in any way beyond the prescribed terf approved ways to gender. That's going to be what makes people go into the wrong gender and make bad choices, not giving them space to try out words and clothes.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That seems before my time but apparently there was a 90s revival of it called Romantic Modernism.

you also had the emo kids in the 00s doing makeup and androgyny, the ones I knew were not to the same lengths as the hair metal pictured above, but i'm starting to get the sense that maybe "liking makeup while also being a dude" is just a thing that teenagers have had a go at a lot historically while everyone keeps pretending it's new

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Saddened and angered that the all powerful trans lobby is using time travel to make our great grandfathers wear biologically female clothing

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Zalakwe posted:

Not trying to tell you who to vote for (I am back in Scotland and will certainly not be voting Labour or SNP) but it will be nigh on impossible for Labour to get a majority without a significant Scottish contingent.

They don't have the resources or the pull. Your talking about huge swings not really seen outside of by-elections.

labour certainly has the polling figures at the moment to get a majority well over 59 seats, so it's not out of the question so long as keir doesn't find a way to gently caress it. which he might do

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Weird how pledging free movement to get the left onside and then abandoning it to pander to racists just results in both groups not trusting what you said in either direction. Who could have forseen this

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

The excuse my school always came out with any time it tried to feebly enforce the uniform was "it prepares you for work where you will be expected to follow a dress code" but bro, work pays me.

how much training and practice do you need to be able to wear a specific set of clothes

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Loonytoad Quack posted:

The MSM are coming for him because he got too close to the truth.

i was wondering what "the truth" was and then i took a look at the thumbnails of his most recent youtube videos which seems to be uh

gone down a bit of a rabbit hole has mr. brand

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I don't know this lad but the Jam Man follows him so he's probably right here

https://twitter.com/adamrowecomedy/status/1702947300471894367?t=HOTmGNzMb-lx5P0RbNCOnA&s=19

I feel like adding "this is hearsay" at the top of all your tweets will be about as powerful against our very fair and sensible legal system as "no copyright intended", though it's not as if most of those shut-up-i-have-money libel cases actually go to court anyway

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Can you summarise? Twitter threads don't work unless you're signed in and I got rid of my account.

Hear'Say posted:

For legal reasons, this is all hearsay.

Russell Brand’s allegations farrrrr outdate his new “anti-mainstream-media” shtick. We’ve all known for YEARS but have been threatened with legal action and he has a super-injunction. Dispatches must have enough to surpass it. (1/5)

When I say “we’ve” I mean the comedy industry. His attempt to play this off as “the mainstream are coming for me” is completely reverse engineered. He’s known this was coming for a long time and he’s spent recent years preparing this new anti-msm persona to prepare for it. (2/5)

The following is hearsay. He was on the original judging panel of Roast Battle on Comedy Central, alongside Jimmy Carr & Katherine Ryan. That series went out nightly, for a week. Rather than once a week like every other TV series ever made. Weird that, isn’t it? Why? (3/5)

The following is hearsay. Comedy Central were told that Vice were about to release a documentary outing Russell Brand. They decided to get all episodes out quickly rather than get to week 3 and have to cancel the rest. Brand got an injunction & blocked the doc. (4/5)

The following is hearsay. He’s who Katherine Ryan was talking about. He’s not the only one we all know about. Obviously I’m not a judge or jury and I don’t have physical hard evidence myself… I’d imagine Dispatches do though, so let’s see what tonight brings. (5/5)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I've noticed that kind of adjective usage a lot from politicians, like people will say "we will ban exploitative zero-hours contracts", leaving it wonderfully ambiguous whether they mean "we will ban all zero hours contracts, which by the way are exploitative" or "we will ban a specific kind of zero-hours contracts, which we call exploitative zero hours contracts". the interviewer never seems to call them up on which one they mean. I wonder if there's a fancy name for this kind of bullshitting

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Hardly the most important thing in that article, but do you think Brand actually read Lolita, or did he just read the first chapter or so before getting distracted. Boy this Humbert fellow seems like a good chap, I bet things turn out great for him and his understanding of the world is proven entirely right

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Monica Bellucci posted:

The bit that gets me is that not once does anyone seen to have kicked the poo poo out of him. I've been around dickheads who behaved like that in public. They were told knock it off or they'd get the poo poo kicked out of them. The ones that did not knock it off got the poo poo kicked out of them, it ain't hard.

did those dickheads have oodles of power and cash and in particular a strong position of power over the people they were being dickheads to? it's a common thing for abusers to pick people they know they have an advantage over and can exploit without consequence

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

This woman went to the police about him in 2014 and ended up being attacked by the police and a judge for harassment

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/sep/11/russell-brand-jemima-khan-masseuse-court-order-harassing

Jesus christ

Attacked by the police and a judge and named and shamed in the press

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Scientastic posted:

Trying to work out what four letter word he is referring to but won’t say. S**R? What is that?

my best guess is that he means "slut" but misspoke. maybe he's a operated by a qwerty keyboard

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

sinky posted:

Bad news, their own promo video already shows this innovation.

seems pretty wasteful to have each of them managing their own locomotion, tbh. maybe put a carriage at one end whose entire job it is to move it forward, with more space dedicated to an engine might be more efficient. would even be cost effective to have a person employed to manage the one movement carriage instead of relying on complex computer systems. you'd have to give them a fancy title though, like call them an engineer or something

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

I can’t find it now but there’s a great infographic which shows how “police shoot a man” turns into “a man died in a shooting in which an officer was involved”

is it this? https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/an-interactive-guide-to-ambiguous-grammar worth reading regardless, internet classic

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

abortions are also surgical procedures that can be performed on healthy bodies, come to think of it

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

love it when njan99, lord of high quality posting, makes one of his edicts over what kind of posts people should make

TACD posted:

I like King Sizebed and nobody will convince me I’m wrong :colbert:

was that the guy in Space Mutiny

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I would have thought US children could be trusted to figure out for themselves that Spellotape is a type of tape with magical properties and/or used by wizards, though I'd also have thought you could trust them to have some idea what a philosopher was, so what do I know

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

i love that despite having been the goddamn prime minister, her doing a silly speech about pork markets and cheese this one time is going to deservedly be like a good third of her legacy

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

my main experience with my union so far has been every year or so getting to select candidates for the national committee based on a booklet of indistinguishable randoms with near-identical paragraphs beside them, who have apparently sorted themselves into differing slates but refuse to elaborate on what exactly separates them. i feel so involved in the governance process. also the main guy is a terf

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

elegantly sidesteps the fact adolf hitler never said anything of the sort by attributing it to Original Character Do Not Steal Hitler Sunak, clearly a work of speculative fiction

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Charoclere posted:

Police conduct is not even remotely comparable between the two countries. Rugz is absolutely correct that importing stereotypes of US cowboys is ridiculous.

ACAB isn't just about the murder rate, it's about the general institutions of police and their role in upholding an unjust system. it's perfectly valid to call someone a bastard even if they aren't as murderous/don't have as much expensive army gear as other bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

suella's right to highlight the absolutely ridiculous runaway crazy birth rate

look at that little uptick at the end. we're all done for. must be all the foreigns