Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
It cannot be autumn yet, i refuse to allow it

Guavanaut posted:

🍂 My Dirty Stream
Off the Fence - Brighton based, covering UK & Global topics. Pretty chill and professional peeps. Older 'casts can be found in the PLATFORM B archive.
Revolutionary Despatches - Two new guys starting out.
Connected & Disaffected - Breezy discussions of lefty social, and historical topics, and news updates. Pretty Good.
Agitpod - Owen Jones & Ellie Mae O’Hagan discuss news.
These are all dead, last ep 2+ years ago. Agitpod's last ep was the eve of the 2019 election.

Labour is preparing a purge of troublesome MPs by blocking them from standing at the next election.

quote:

Up to a dozen MPs could be in the crosshairs as Sir Keir Starmer draws up plans for a standards crackdown to make the party fit for government.
Who is even left to purge at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

To be fair, the cinema had only closed a few months ago and they were working to re-open it, allegedly projection screens were torn and chairs destroyed, major damage done.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Kin posted:

Out of curiosity, how long are covid symptoms typically lasting in the UK these days? I had a jab when they came out but no booster or anything, but the nurse at the hospital said "it's just like a cold now".

Had a dodgy throat last Friday. Was feverish Sunday/Monday, lost my sense of smell on Wednesday. Every time I feel like I'm starting to get better, another wave of illness hits. Right now I still feel congested like I'm underwater and on the verge of passing out as if I'm exhausted.

I thought on Tuesday that I was well enough to go back to work (from home) and I woke up feeling like I'd kicked it after just couple of days, but it just seems to keep going and I'm maybe being naive to think I'll be better tomorrow.

Losing the ability to smell things was weird too. I didn't even notice until my wife said she'd lost hers. I went around the house trying to deeply inhale stuff (like coffee or curry powder), but got nothing.

Sorry to hear this! It seems to vary wildly, some people are fine in a few days, others take longer, the unlucky few end up chronically ill. It took me six weeks to feel like I had my normal energy levels back. Don't rush or try to push it, rest as much as you can, even if you think you're feeling better.

It is moronic, especially from a nurse, to liken COVID to a cold.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Thank you so much for this. I've managed to spread this info far and wide, with lots of happy recipients, and have managed to book mine for next week :toot:

Please be aware that you may not be getting the new, much, much more effective booster based on the XBB variant, but rather old stock of the BA4/5 bivalent booster, which is not very effective at all any more with what is currently circulating.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

how come it isnt the good stuff?

TACD posted:

Oh, this sucks :( Is it worth asking about this when going to the appointment? Or is it perversely better to wait to get a booster until later in the year?

It's worth asking about, afaik basically they don't have the new ones yet, and they have loads of old bivalent booster stock because nobody took them up on it in the spring.

I don't know enough about it to say whether it's best to wait - the XBB booster in studies provides much better protection against the variants currently circulating, but the original one still helps a little. Personally, if I wasn't going to be in any high-risk situations and it wasn't a long wait before I could get a new one, I probably would hold out. But I can't get one at all, even if I was willing to pay for it!

pantsfree fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 18, 2023