Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

History Comes Inside! posted:

Honestly even 20 is pushing it, but I fully accept that’s my own problem as I live in shorts and a t-shirt 365 days a year, so when it gets particularly spicy I’m already out of layers to remove while remaining compliant with local laws and common decency.

I thought it was legal to be naked in public in great britaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Dead Goon posted:

28° C is loving ridiculous and something needs to be done about it.

Good news op, billions of people wake up very early and work very hard to increase that temperature

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The penis is a very common shape in nature but no two penises are ever exactly alike, it's something to do with crystals and how they form

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Microplastics posted:

"what if we use splashback paint" is such a boneheaded idea. Absolutely no thought put into it whatsoever. But extremely typical of the British approach to a problem. "what if, instead of a preventative measure, we just use revenge?"

What if instead of confining the piss to pissing walls we instead have those people walk around in public covered in piss?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ancient Romans were teaching their kids (well the nobles and centurions anyway) in buildings built with safe concrete, but that's just not possible any more.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

There's a town called Woking

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Julio Cruz posted:

what the gently caress is this even supposed to mean

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

I get the fear just watching him doing his steeplejacking thing. What a guy.

I feel like this documentary desensitised me a bit, watching it made me feel tingly in my palms and heels, it's a guy climbing that cliff with no ropes or anything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urRVZ4SW7WU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

Ah, the quintessential conservativism of...Dead or Alive Xtreme 2, the beach volleyball game spin-off of a fighting game whose Wiki page contains this gem: "During the development process, creator Tomonobu Itagaki stated that he would not be adding activities like trampoline games and wet T-shirt contests to the series. He indicated that he felt that this would come off as vulgar and "show the women in a negative light"." and Quake, because I guess I wish more conservatives would try IRL rocket jumping?

Also I don't think someone with a union flag emoji can be our national embarrassment, he's shared with the rest of this shithole country.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Labeling a particular breed a "dangerous dog" just makes them more attractive to the kind of dog owner who treats their dog as a penis extension rather than a pet and family member.

This is a part of it, they are bought by people who want a dangerous dog. But there is another important part that is often forgotten and has me rolling my eyes at all the poo poo people say about "little dogs being more likely to bite" or pointing to historic moral panics about dogs:

When worst comes to worst, If a little dog, or a German Shepard, or a Doberman bites someone, they can be pulled away, or fought against, or even recalled by their owner. It is rarely going to be a big deal. Maybe a few stitches at most.

If a pitbull does that to you, you will lose a limb, or you will die, and the same for anyone trying to help you. They can chew off a bodybuilders arm at the bicep. Physically, their jaws lock on, and they have incredibly overstrength jaws, which they needed for the bloodsport known as "bull baiting", which was their purpose*. Psychologically, they will not stop, they will only become more determined the more you try to stop them. They don't even really feel pain like other dogs do.

*There are genuinely people who believe they were bred for nannying children. Nannying them right into the grave perhaps. Insane propaganda.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

That's the same thing that was said in every other historic moral dog panic. The hard-nosed Teuton breeds his dogs not to feel pain and to love the taste of Belgian infants.

Mastiffs have a massively higher bite force than pitbulls, over 550 psi against 240-330, were bred for baiting lions, and also instinctively lock, but we haven't had a mastiff dog panic since the 70s.

These American Bully XLs are Pitbulls bred with Mastiffs, such as Cane Corsos, or American Bulldogs.

One of the traits pitbulls were historically selected for in their breeding was resistance to pain and determination to stay on the bull.

e: fakesnipe have a Cane Corso

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 11, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Is it legal to genetically modify my dog to spit Fluoroantimonic acid? Obviously it is morally correct as all dogs are the same, but what does the law say?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Skull Servant posted:

I've been reading the thread silently agreeing with the pro-dog camp

Hey I've had dogs before, I'm not some anti-dog person. I'm just sceptical of the good owner/bad owner dichotomy, everyone is a self-assured good owner until something bad happens.

We already have a list of dangerous animals where nobody cares how good an owner you hypothetically are, you simply can't have one. We also already have the legal concept of pets that are allowed to misbehave and it's not on the owners, cats for example have the right to roam, they are allowed to poo poo in people's private gardens as they should be. Maybe if a cat bit you, you could sue them in civil court for damages? But then we don't have medical bills here.

There should be something in the middle, maybe I'm some kind of dog centrist.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 11, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Some countries have muzzle laws but that sounds like the kinda thing we would simply not enforce.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

I mean the previous Bully XL that did this in 2021 had both owners jailed and the dog was shot dead by police. Are you suggesting there aren't consequences for bad dogs? If a dog bites someone it's put down at a vet or executed by police?

That's rare most of the time they seem to get away from it AFAIK? I'm also talking about preventative stuff like muzzling or licenses not summary execution after the fact.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public

Destroyed is the euphemism for lethal injection or loving gatling gunned by Slipper's pigs.

Can deterrence work against a crime noone intends, and noone thinks will ever happen to their perfect dog?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Next up: being unable to get any kind of diagnosis for joint problems because the NHS referred me to a private company, who after a month refer me to another private company, who after 2 months will tell me they are only able to treat the injury I was referred with and can't look at other parts of the body, also since it's been 3 months the injury has 'gone away' (is not detectable at the initial appointment) and so there's nothing they can do to help.

Do you have an NHS physio? You can self refer for those, and they will get to know your joints much better than a GP you talk to for 5 minutes. My physio was the only one that took me seriously and she wasn't allowed to refer me herself but she wrote letters that resulted in a doctor referring me. Not my GP because he was a stupid prick that doesn't seem to work there any more. My new one is better.

She even told me "first you will get an appointment for an X-Ray, that won't find anything wrong, and you will have to wait months for an MRI appointment after that, which will diagnose you". I remembered that when I arrived for the X-Ray and had to walk past the MRI room.

She seemed very tired of it all. Kafkaesque.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

Councils should hire people dressed as sausages/cats to walk around parks. Owners of any dogs that attack them are issued a fixed penalty notice proportional to the psi of the bite. This provides an incentive for owners to use leads or train their dogs well and to choose safer breeds.

Is this the British version of the New Deal? I'm on board, I just think we could expand it a bit. More ambition. No no wait, "aspiration".

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Unfortunately the self-referral service is the one that's now run by a private company. Might just be an oxfordshire thing

More like a Hell thing, that's hosed up

This bird is a snipe:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

crispix posted:

anyone know what kind spider this guy was?

Terrible photo, but perhaps a zebra spider or a crab spider.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

crispix posted:

it was just a phone picture, i'm not davy attemboros, am i

Don't get scared of it and stand off while having tremors in your hands, take a confident picture. Let the camera focus. The spider is scared of you, no need for you to be scared of it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Julio Cruz posted:

my phone camera refuses to focus on spiders and will instead focus on what's in the background

True, maybe just needs a better camera

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

If spiders were bigger, we would find it much easier to milk them for their web silk.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Skarsnik posted:

Stripy legged boi with a big ol web is probably an orb weaver, the garden is full of them at the moment

Yeah the shape matches better.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Spiders can definitely navigate the distance of a street. I reckon they can hold grudges too but I don't have any evidence. You'll just have to hope I'm wrong.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I've always kinda wanted a spider but it would never be a pet would it. I would just be the giant terrifying monster that inexplicably drops prey animals into the glass cage.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

kecske posted:

do ye like dags?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

There's a shop near me that was selling Prime for £8 a bottle when the fad first started. They were placed on the counter next to the card machine.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Can you put a lead on a snake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpAXuFACQ50

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

drat, sorry to hear that.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Miftan posted:

I think I would have almost definitely thought I was non binary if I was growing up today and had the vocabulary to articulate that sort of thought instead of "football sucks I wish some of my friends liked the same things as me".

Getting people to ask those questions is great, and sometimes the answer is "huh I guess I am a straight, cis person" and that's fine. Nobody is concerned by teenagers being goths or w/e but maybe that's because goths don't sack capitals anymore I dunno

I had a phase where (especially at gigs) I would wear nail polish and eye makeup and girls clothes but I always felt masculine and straight while doing it. What is that? Is it non-binary or Is that what the kids call femboys now?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They were mid-teens in 2015 so I doubt it!

Wasn't that just a "New Romantics" phase?

That seems before my time but apparently there was a 90s revival of it called Romantic Modernism.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

It’s actually astonishing just how boring mainstream men’s fashion is. Every shop you go in is a sea of browns, greys and dark blue. I hate it.

We need to reclaim pink, it being a girls colour in the west is so weird. Back in Punjab a pink turban and shirt is perfectly masculine, you can get straight-married in a completely pink outfit and noone will bat an eye.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

happyhippy posted:

Hoodies and tshirts, absolute simplistic yet genius.
And it took near 2000 years to invent them.
The next evolution of the hoodie will be a onsie but its cargo pants lower half, hoodie upper.

2000 counting from what? Is there a throughline between roman times and the hoodie?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

happyhippy posted:

Fair enough, 100,000 to 500,000 years since the invention of clothing then.

Haha sorry I wasn't being pedantic I thought there was some connection you were making.

Hopefully Global Warming brings back the Ancient Egyptian style of men going topless in a short skirt while wearing mascara/kohl/eye makeup. Fashion is cyclical after all.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 13, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Interesting, I love the mosaic the article refers to.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Dabir posted:

The women were also doing that IIRC

It's very practical, even the eye makeup will reduce glare from the sun, there are still athletes and soldiers putting a line of black under their eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jedit posted:

Your grandfather or great-grandfather probably wore pink as a child. It was a boy's colour right up to the 1940s.

I'm Indian, I don't need to look into the past for that, I have my own masculine pink clothes right now. I love my pink polo shirt.

I've read that historically there's a thing with pink being associated with white clothes that have been stained with blood, though I don't know how accurate that is.