Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

The moment they do say they'll tax the rich and will fund anything even a sliver to the left of Thatcher it'll get pounced on, and it'll be all the media will talk about forever and ever tho right?
It's so loving stupid, because their thought process is they don't want to raise taxes to pay for anything good, because then the 'average person' will have to pay more and all the billionaires will leave.

So instead the country falls apart, everything is poo poo and you have to pay more for it, and the billionaires all leave anyway because who wants to live in a burning shithole where you can't get your treats and you have to look at poor people dying everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

The comma seems superfluous.
Only the first 'for' is superfluous.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Crisis on infinite Keirs?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

He's not classy enough for Guinness, he drinks John Smiths and still sings the little song about the widget.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ronnie posted:

Britain should be renamed to Arkham Island.
In the lovecraftian sense as well.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

A court in Karlsruhe has refused to extradite a man accused of drug trafficking & money laundering because of the miserable state of British conditions.
I agree, I also don't think anyone should be forced to endure British conditions.

Guavanaut posted:

Highest per capita prion population in Western Europe.
:hmmyes:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Casey Explosion did a good tweet ages ago about why she mentions painting warhams and sometimes posts them on her twitter but doesn't stream painting them, the gist of which was that the easiest way to kill a hobby is to start trying to monetise it.

Despite what grindset dickheads tell you, you do not in fact have to monetise your hobbies and probably shouldn't.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

And then you have a fat, bald, stupid oval office whining about pro-nouns in a video game he paid a premium for to get early-access.
I just don't get why they can't just select their own pronouns and move on, how the mere existence of other people having things that aren't for them causes them to pitch a fit.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

'Omega blocking' sounds like either one of those made up alpha chad terms or some kind of extreme sounding.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

As I was walking through Co-op I noticed the front page of the torygraph said the back-to-work plans had been 'delayed until after the next election.'

Presumably when they will be enacted by Rachel Reeves and a visibly aroused Wes Streeting.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I hear the pizza express there is great, and a wonderful way to prove conclusively that you were there on a specific evening and definitely not anywhere else noncing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There is in fact an easier way.

smellmycheese posted:

But I cannot get PORK loving CRACKLING to work.
Big Sainsburys do a taste the difference pork with crackling that is really easy, even a dickhead like me can cook it. Follow the instructions on the back EXACTLY (including the nonsense about patting dry and adding salt and leaving it for 10 minutes) and it comes out great.

I'm sure a good cook could do better, but it's good crackling mostly pre-prepared that you can't gently caress up.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 7, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pictured here with sleeves notably not rolled up.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Me: Handsome Starmer isn't real, he can't hurt you.

AI, when asked to show me keir starmer punching a cow:

It did produce this though when asked to show me him fighting an alpaca in a pub car park:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Big Sainsburys do a taste the difference pork with crackling that is really easy, even a dickhead like me can cook it.
It's this one by the way:

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 7, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My favourite part is how the early attempt at both rhyme and metre both break down as the author begins to senesce into a haze of confused nationalism. A very British poem, 5/7

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

Very much the reaction of someone who's never had to face consequences before.
I mean, that could just be standard tory playbook.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I would honestly not be surprised if this turns out to be his latest stroke of brain genius, hot on the heels of "Jamie bans meal deals during a cost of living crisis" and "Jamie has a go at poor people for having flatscreen tvs," it's "Jamie brings back child labour."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hell of a lot of subtext going over a lot of heads there.

Why Silent Hill 3?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 9, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bioshock is a game about a man who builds a libertarian paradise under the sea, and everything is fine. I assume anyway, I turned it off when a whale went past in the intro because whales are the environment and the environment is woke now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The musings of a loving idiot who modded bioshock infinite so you can throw the rock and then you get to wander round the happy carnival for as long as you like.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tom nervously tugging on the end of his hat.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If there's one thing I know about the economy it's that it just magically grows itself without investment, and also that the private sector they're relying on magically paying their taxes* absolutely love staying in a shithole country that's falling apart.

* which of course it would be wrong to make them pay

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Always love to see someone get dragged back through a loophole.

"I'm not based in the UK, I shouldn't have to pay tax"

"You're literally a lord of the UK, shut the gently caress up Alan."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Got to say - much as Blair was a poo poo, at least "Things can only get better" was catchier than new new labour's "sorry, things can only get worse."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

He seems to be writing a love letter to western liberal individualism while vigorously shaking his fist and shouting "liberals!"
That's the thing about political ideologies; there's the strictly defined ideology (what is a liberal*), and then there's the practical effects of how someone with that ideology will tend to behave.** And a lot of people are able to dodge the latter by clinging to the former.

* a miserable pile of compromises

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The problem with "oh he's harmless" is that it's very easy to convince yourself of that, just people seeing their own dog being cute and cuddly at home, or in this little bellend's case in the brief 5 minutes of sunbathing he's allowed before he has to come back in and lie on a cooling mat.

It makes it easy to forget that dogs are predators with chase instincts. If they get surprised by something, their prey drive can kick in before any semblance of logic or training does, and as owner it's your responsibility to intervene before something happens.

I refuse to believe that the dog's owner didn't see the cat. When I'm out with the boy I have to be his eyes and ears and look for signs of surprise dog (owner with a leash, rustling bushes) and pre-emptively give him the best chance of not acting on instinct. If I even see a cat in the distance, he's back on leash and on the opposite side of me before he's even realised it's there.

The reason I'm like this is because for all I love him and know he tries his best, he absolutely does have those instincts and has gone for other dogs when they've suddenly appeared, so the only times he's off-leash is when I'm confident I have good lines of sight and plenty of distance. It would be lovely to let him off leash all the time since we live in a pedestrianised estate and don't have to worry about cars. And as other dog owners keep telling me, the only way to get him better at meeting other dogs is to let him try.

But the country isn't dog racist towards their golden retriever, nor are the police primed to impound him (and as with everything else in the uk the backlog is so massive he'd likely either be destroyed to make space or be so traumatised by the experience he'd probably never recover).
Also I'm not willing to use the safety of other dogs as a testing ground to see if he can behave when I know he hasn't in the past.

I'm rambling but the point is control your loving dogs people. They may seem like cuddly little angels (and they absolutely are), but they are also animals with instincts they can't always help.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

It seems like a bad idea to keep dogs with a prey or herding instinct as pets.
I mean yes, and ideally it's the sort of thing where dogs would be allowed to roam free as any other animal. Except they can't. And there's this extant system of dogs being bred as pets and abandoned by heartless dickheads and needing adoption, and we kind of did all that to them as a species, so we owe it to them to help them exist as part of a world they cannot possibly understand.

We took a wolf, turned its pack instincts into attachment issues, and dropped it into a world where if it chases food in the wrong direction it gets smeared across the tarmac by a couple of tons of metal we invented to get to work faster. They don't understand the truck, the job or the road. The absolute least we can do is try and guide them safely through.

keep punching joe posted:

I dunno if a bull terrier is any more prone to snap than a bored out of its wits border collie.
The argument is that they're not more prone to snap (you only have to meet a small dog to realise this, even yorkies are loving mental), but they do have more powerful jaws and a tendency to thrash, so they do a lot more damage when they do bite as opposed to the nip you get from a jack russell or bichon frizzy.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 11, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Would you rather fight three chihuahua sized staffies, or one staffy sized chihuahua?

Scientastic posted:

Counterpoint: I don’t want dogs to come over and sniff me
why the hell not, if a dog blesses you with its attention you should be grateful for the purest love the universe can know

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

From the people who brought you sharknado, "staffy with a gun." Starring Jason fackin' Statham, probably.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Cats also carry a fuckton of nasty diseases, they're little shitheads. Even when they're affectionate it's in a weird "I own you, you stupid massive kitten" kind of way.

Guavanaut posted:

10 years to save the west from what?
It's actually not that long a read - clocks in at 12 words shy of 1500.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 11, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yeah if your dog does have any agression issues, keep it leashed for gently caress's sake.

My lad has never shown any agression towards people but I try to discourage him from going over because if anything he's too enthusiastic. So I guess I do understand it if the dog is not clearly and obviously being friendly.

Which was supposed to be kind of the point of the "oh but he's harmless" post earlier, but it sort of got away from me. I know he's just playing, or he's just trying to lick your face, or just barking at the delivery person, but people who don't know that don't know any of that.

Example - sister in law thought it'd be funny to teach him to growl when she was playing with him, so now when he gets overexcited during play he growls. Which other dogs don't like. And other dog owners are rightly terrified of because of the breed's reputation. So even if I know he doesn't mean it that way, it doesn't matter because I have to be in control of a dog other people percieve as a problem.

And like when I have to deal with a pack of little shits nipping at his ankles - he doesn't know they don't mean it (and to be absolutely honest I'm never convinced they don't mean it).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

For our next topic, let's discuss "whether cats should be allowed outside" with some Americans. If you thought the opinions expressed so far were intense, just wait.
should cats be circumcised though

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Aphex- posted:

Also my cat is an indoor cat, not because of the environment but because her breed and I quote "has no self preservation skills" which is an adorable way of saying she'd just die in 5 minutes if she went off exploring.
Ragdoll? We briefly looked after one years ago, they are 100% cat himbos.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Sorry, I mean walk in and speak to a receptionist to book an appointment 7 weeks from now.
Our GP has cleverly circimvented this by renovating the reception area for the last 3 years so the receptionists aren't contactable. If you phone you're told only to use the service in an emergency, and if it is an emergency to use 111. They have an online booking service but it's generally full by about 8.15 at which point it just says "sorry, no slots, try again tomorrow."

Next up: being unable to get any kind of diagnosis for joint problems because the NHS referred me to a private company, who after a month refer me to another private company, who after 2 months will tell me they are only able to treat the injury I was referred with and can't look at other parts of the body, also since it's been 3 months the injury has 'gone away' (is not detectable at the initial appointment) and so there's nothing they can do to help.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

But Staffordshire Terriers rank highest (11). I'm not sure if that's just because so many people seem to want to own one without learning how,
Aside from the dickheads who get them because they're 'ard innit, they are so loving adorable as puppies, and I think people get them and think it's funny to teach them to nip and attack when they're tiny (or at the very least not train them out of that behaviour), and then suddenly at about a year old they're this huge dog that can no longer get away with it.

There are a ton of staffies in particular that turn up in shelters having been abandoned at about a year old, because the owners never trained them and they're suddenly big enough to just ignore the owners in terms of physical control.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Do you have an NHS physio? You can self refer for those, and they will get to know your joints much better than a GP you talk to for 5 minutes.
Unfortunately the self-referral service is the one that's now run by a private company. Might just be an oxfordshire thing but unfortunately there is no longer any way to access nhs services directly, just a callcentre full of wankers who decide which private physio they're going to pay.

Also our local hospital closed its physio section because we live near enough a major city that the twats in charge have decided everyone can just drive to the big hospital.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

She seemed very tired of it all. Kafkaesque.
The inefficiency is what drives me mad. Instead of going gp > wait 2 weeks > sterioid injection, i get buggered around for 3 months by two companies who end up not able to treat me. It cost more money, more time, and didn't solve the problem.

Private companies intervening in the NHS are going to kill it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sebzilla posted:

What is this nonsense and why are they trying to reinvent trade unions.
"We don't want any of those messy old unions striking and being mean. No, we want to pay management consultants to sit and listen to donors employers, and nod politely and then capitulate take a bung to sell out workers reach a sensible conpromise."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

No it loving isn't, and don't weaponise neurodiversity/typicality that that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Have you had your slaneesh cultists spayed / neurered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mourning Due posted:

Are you saying that sensory sensitivity isn't real? Or that sudden unexpected loud noise and unwanted physical contact cannot trigger it?

I'm not saying "all neurodiverse people hate dogs", I'm saying that selfish people don't consider the possibility that other people may not love being lunged at by your poorly controlled animal.
I'm saying don't start throwing concepts like neurodiversity and racism (why the gently caress would you mention people from india / the middle east) at people letting dogs off the leash for fucks sake.

Were you raised in either of those countries? Do you have sensory sensitivity, or are you arguing on behalf of an imaginary person who does? Because I do have sensory sensitivities, so you're going to have to find some people filled with less straw.

Dogs which are safe and do not attack people are a normal part of society. I will absolutely concede that dogs who are not safe should be muzzled and on leash. But does that mean Jakabite's good boy should have to be muzzled and leashed?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no. If someone is triggered (and I mean that in the legitimate psychological sense of entering fight-or-flight mode because of previous legit trauma) by a dog coming up to them, that person needs help in the same way they'd need help if they were triggered by cars, or shouting, or open spaces.

Those are all normal things most people in society will be able to deal with. It would be bezerk to expect all owners of dogs to muzzle and leash their pets in case someone has ptsd from an attack, in the same way society would break down if we had to remove all cars from the roads because some people have been in crashes (arguably way, way more than have been attacked by dogs).

This whole conversation is deranged, there's some powerful conflation of basic concepts being thrown around. My dog going up to someone and giving them a sniff is not the same as a cane corso leaping at you snarling.

If someone has been attacked by a dog and has trauma, then I am genuinely sorry about that, and if anyone cannot tell if a dog coming toward them is friendly or not, I also feel sorry for them. But you cannot seriously be expecting every dog, even ones with no history of violence to be restricted just in case they happen to come across a tiny minority who wrongly thinks they might be dangerous?