Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Julio Cruz posted:

what the gently caress is this even supposed to mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Julio Cruz posted:

He wants to punch a cow in the face, OP

e: LMAO at the post above. Best page snipe in years

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
Not content with only murdering alpacas I guess

grobbo
May 29, 2014
You can laugh, but that statement demonstrates a keen insight into the minds of the UK voter (overcome by a furious paranoia that they're being disrespected in some intangible way and it didn't used to be like this, you know)

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

happyhippy posted:

It is over here in Northern Ireland.
The right amount of cheese and carmalized onions, holy poo poo nectar of the gods.

I can only assume its a regional thing, for example we rarely do Yorkshire puddings.

I'm in NI and have never seen cauliflower cheese, but not having Yorkshire puds with a roast would be a crime. They're the perfect gravy delivery mechanism.

I'm with you on turkey and ham though. You can even buy pre-prepared servings of turkey/ham/stuffing in some supermarkets here, either single or in family packs if you're feeling lazy and don't want to do two full roasts.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pictured: Kier Starmer putting a policy back from whence it came

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Me: Handsome Starmer isn't real, he can't hurt you.

AI, when asked to show me keir starmer punching a cow:

It did produce this though when asked to show me him fighting an alpaca in a pub car park:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

He's going to make Labour so poo poo that George Galloway's old party starts looking appealing by comparison.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UK Housing stock will become poo poo in exciting new ways :marc:

quote:

Yet British infrastructure and homes are almost uniquely unprepared. “The UK has some of the poorest housing stock in Europe when it comes to energy efficiency, largely due to poor levels of insulation,” says Abigail Ward, policy and communication officer at the Energy Saving Trust, an independent organisation working to address the climate crisis. She adds that British homes in winter lose heat on average three times faster than European houses. “Because home insulation works in a similar way to a thermal flask – keeping heat out in the summer and in during winter – the lack of sufficient insulation means UK homes are also ill-equipped to stay cool in hotter temperatures.”

Housing will become too hot to be liveable without HVAC as temperatures rise, and the current UK strategy to power all that HVAC is relighting the coal burners in summer. :marc:

Investment in better insulation and in external shutters is the correct way forward, but neither the "we refuse to spend money" party nor the "we only spend money on our friends' dodgy scams" party want to do that.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Z the IVth posted:

6. Keep uncovered in fridge overnight and take out 1 hr before cooking.

This is the key step: I have done the Z the IVth method as well, and because I am a dweeb, I systematically removed individual steps that seemed like too much effort to understand which were absolutely critical and which ones made a smaller incremental improvement, and this is the number one that makes the biggest difference.

What I do is:

Score the skin with a very sharp knife, down to the fat, without going through it and into the meat (I like to cross hatch, but I also have a spiky thing that punches holes, and it works equally well, but doesn't allow you to snap off nice strips)
Salt the skin (not too heavily, but quite a bit of salt) and rub it in (absolutely no oil, that is the way to gently caress up crackling)
Leave uncovered in the fridge overnight
Start the cooking at the highest temperature your oven can manage and turn it down after 15m, turn it back up for the last 15m of cooking

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

UK Housing stock will become poo poo in exciting new ways :marc:

Housing will become too hot to be liveable without HVAC as temperatures rise, and the current UK strategy to power all that HVAC is relighting the coal burners in summer. :marc:

Investment in better insulation and in external shutters is the correct way forward, but neither the "we refuse to spend money" party nor the "we only spend money on our friends' dodgy scams" party want to do that.

Aren't external shutters really difficult in the UK because our windows open the wrong way?

To work best with shutters windows need to open inwards. Our ones open outwards

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I love a good stuffing. Did you ever have one of those turkeys stuffed with a duck, stuffed with another bird, stuffed with another bird? I had one once, it was 5 birds deep. It was wonderful, dense, intense.

I've been getting the multi bird stuffed thing you get in Aldi/Lidl each year for the past few years. Less hassle than turkey, random flavours all over, its great.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

serious gaylord posted:

Aren't external shutters really difficult in the UK because our windows open the wrong way?

To work best with shutters windows need to open inwards. Our ones open outwards
Yeah there's a few ways you can do it, Spanish/French style wooden shutters with double windows, German Rouladen roller shutters with inward opening tilt windows, American shutters and screens with vertical sliding sash windows, you can even get windows with the shutter/blind inside the double glazing.

Any grant program should also come with funding for whatever type of window works best with them, because there's a load of UPVC that is falling apart that needs replacing too, and both is good.

Instead we will get nothing and turn into pork crackling.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

EEK!!!

Heavy thunder and lighting overhead atm... come on you bastard.... RAIN!!!!! :argh:

edit: sheet lightning and some steady light rain, temp dropped a few degrees. :)

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 7, 2023

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

No Justice MTG is one of only a handful of UK politics twitch/youtube streamers (that I know of), she's good and knowledgeable. Well worth watching and she streams several evenings a week.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/RJPartington/status/1699793637683683365

core annual income of £16m, and they're on the hook for £64m in annual servicing of £1.2bn in loans that the previous (Tory) leadership took out to acquire 'assets' that are now worth £600m less than at time of purchasing :thumbsup:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

smellmycheese posted:

Sir Keith repeatedly punching sheep and cows in the face and demanding they respect him

https://twitter.com/countrylifemag/status/1699417219556413627?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

It's like forming the Arch of Honour in Disco Elysium but with your entire forearm

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Aum Shinrikyo started off as a yoga club, you can't be too careful.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm willing to believe that there is a hypothetical good stuffing out there, because the individual constituent ingredients are all perfectly edible. However every example I've had tasted like mouldy cardboard and was the worst part of the meal it appeared in. Paxo is especially awful.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You're not adding enough spices.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

can never be too careful, those terrorists are always making plans to attack where it'll hit Britain the hardest, and that is *checks notes* Chapel St Leonards

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Payndz posted:

I always get Chris Pincher the groper mixed up with Chris Groper the pincher.

I always get him mixed up with Gary Lineker the Crisp Pincher

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

big scary monsters posted:

I'm willing to believe that there is a hypothetical good stuffing out there, because the individual constituent ingredients are all perfectly edible. However every example I've had tasted like mouldy cardboard and was the worst part of the meal it appeared in. Paxo is especially awful.

A shameful post

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Prince William presumably turned up with some chicken and a fishing Rod

https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1699805693681844447?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

smellmycheese posted:

A shameful post

I know everyone else loves stuffing, but I am right and the rest of the world is wrong. This is my chocolate orange.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

fuctifino posted:

e: John Noakes is trending, and it's because of this video:

https://twitter.com/danbarker/status/1699517438952399195

We certainly did things differently in the 70's... :lol:

I was speaking to a lad who started working on the rails in the 1980s. He told me you just rocked up in your jeans, t-shirt and trainers for work, you had a hard hat but didn't have to wear it. For protection against trains they would hang a hi vis vest on a tree branch down track and the rain would see it and blast the horn. Crazy how we used to do 'safety.'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

Crazy how we used to do 'safety.'

The trick to avoid falling off a big chimney is to remember you can only do it once.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Then these days you see the French up on roofs, and the Germans, also up on roofs, and that’s why I voted brexit.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Have some terminal loving cringe with your roast spuds and stuffing…:

https://twitter.com/bbcpolitics/status/1699739370457096306?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Julio Cruz posted:

can never be too careful, those terrorists are always making plans to attack where it'll hit Britain the hardest, and that is *checks notes* Chapel St Leonards

Walmington-on-Sea, surely?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

bessantj posted:

I was speaking to a lad who started working on the rails in the 1980s. He told me you just rocked up in your jeans, t-shirt and trainers for work, you had a hard hat but didn't have to wear it. For protection against trains they would hang a hi vis vest on a tree branch down track and the rain would see it and blast the horn. Crazy how we used to do 'safety.'

You should see what goes on in Cairo!

I had new ceramic floors put in my flat, and there were the workmen, using pickaxes to hack up the old floor wearing flip flops and no eye protection.
I couldn't look (I was living in the flat while they did the work).

Oh and seeing people put in those airconditioner units - literally one guy hanging out of the window being held by his feet by a couple of other guys while he did whatever has to be done with various tubes and cables.

Sanford posted:

Then these days you see the French up on roofs, and the Germans, also up on roofs, and that’s why I voted brexit.

Oh god, I forgot about that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oh and seeing people put in those airconditioner units - literally one guy hanging out of the window being held by his feet by a couple of other guys while he did whatever has to be done with various tubes and cables.
That's going to be the actual UK solution to overheating homes.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Do you want dead Chidi?

Because that's how you get dead Chidi

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Have some terminal loving cringe with your roast spuds and stuffing…:

https://twitter.com/bbcpolitics/status/1699739370457096306?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Well he’s definitely an absolute loving Keir isn’t he

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Hang on a minute. The escaped Iranian 007 is actually mini Keir Sharter

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

The trick to avoid falling off a big chimney is to remember you can only do it once.

Same trick to avoid getting hit by trains, well avoid it a second time anyway. Trains can be so quiet you don't know a 9 carriage train going 90mph is near you until it's right on top of you.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You should see what goes on in Cairo!

I had new ceramic floors put in my flat, and there were the workmen, using pickaxes to hack up the old floor wearing flip flops and no eye protection.
I couldn't look (I was living in the flat while they did the work).

Obviously it's a lot safer these days but we still do some stuff like happily walk within a boot width from a rail carrying 650 volts while carrying a metal shovel from time to time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DaWolfey posted:

No Justice MTG is one of only a handful of UK politics twitch/youtube streamers (that I know of), she's good and knowledgeable. Well worth watching and she streams several evenings a week.

19 month subscriber here :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Hotdog man.meme

I can’t even be arsed to read it. It will be the fault of woke banks and lazy work from home people no doubt.