Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1697908468760375425

quote:

The home secretary has launched a review into police impartiality as she accused officers of "being involved in political matters". Suella Braverman has instructed an investigation into what she calls an "unacceptable rise" in police taking a side on controversial issues.
huh, you know i wouldn't have expected braverman of all people to try and tackle police membership in far right groups or brutalizing certain groups of protestors and not other-

quote:

She cited officers taking the knee or dancing with protesters at parades.
lol, lmao, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/05/people-deemed-unable-to-work-face-having-benefits-reduced-under-dwp-plan

'beatings will continue until morale improves' as government mental health policy lol

:smith:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/RJPartington/status/1699793637683683365

core annual income of £16m, and they're on the hook for £64m in annual servicing of £1.2bn in loans that the previous (Tory) leadership took out to acquire 'assets' that are now worth £600m less than at time of purchasing :thumbsup:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

smellmycheese posted:

Who will be the William Hague to Keith’s Blair? Mordant seems to fancy it but I feel like they’ll go for a proper wingnut
yeah, i'd guess Badenoch, she's young, hungry, and enough of a glassy-eyed psycho that she'll have a flagship policy along the lines of 'bring back hanging - for anyone convicted of Wokery' to capture the heart of the median Tory leadership voter.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Guavanaut posted:

10 years to save the west from what?
'woke'

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
can't really say anything but add to the condolences list, what terrible news

am going to be back in the uk soon for the first time since pre-pandemic and was just idly thinking when he posted the new flavours that maybe i should take the opportunity to support a goon and finally pick up some of that fudge that everyone likes so much :(

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
yeah, none of these turns up any result beyond the book blurb, but can't imagine the publisher would just make them up (the joyce one is obviously genuine) :cripes:

quote:

One of the best TV comedy writers of all time delivers a book which is a must-read for anyone who has ever wondered: a) how to create a hit sit-com and b) how it feels to lose everything. It's funny, complicated and utterly compelling' - Jonathan Ross

'One of the most compelling and unflinchingly honest memoirs I've read in many years. It's also the funniest' - Andrew Doyle

'Graham Linehan has long been one of my favourite writers - and this book shows that his brilliance in prose is the equal to his brilliance as a screenwriter. It unfolds with the urgency of a Sam Fuller film: that of a man who has been through something that few have experienced but has managed to return, undaunted, to tell us the tale' - Richard Ayoade

'Hilarious, raw and touching. A must-read for anyone who wants to know the backstory behind Father Ted - and why he gave up the life of a luvvie to fight the threats posed by trans ideology to women's rights and child safeguarding' - Helen Joyce

'This book is great company, and reminds us that Graham is first and foremost a writer, and a very funny one indeed. It is a not inconsiderable relief, in fact, to see that he has not lost the gift' - Simon Evans

'A brilliant account of the evolution of a comedy writer, but also an extraordinary and chilling portrayal of cancel culture. I found it unputdownable' - Lissa Evans

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

smellmycheese posted:

Rory’s publisher must be furious that he’s absolutely ruined any good publicity for his new book as every single centrist now thinks he’s worse than Hitler for his extremely mild endorsement of Jereboam Crubbin

https://twitter.com/rorystewartuk/status/1702222705779470573?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg
he has a secret plan to win them back:
https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1702230345884553501

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1703783632672903341
liz truss was on the verge of saving the economy from stagnation, but her brilliant ideas were thwarted by a sinister cabal of COMMUNISTS who HATE GROWTH, the cabal being specifically named as:

- the OBR
- economists, in general
- the tabloid press
- the conservative party

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
christ, even by 'home secretary' standards she's so loving awful

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lol, we've just done too much already to combat climate change, which is the fault of foreigners
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1704180732069892180

quote:

Rishi Sunak is considering weakening some of the government's key net zero commitments in a major policy shift.

It could include delaying a ban on the sales of new petrol and diesel cars and phasing out gas boilers, multiple sources have told the BBC. The PM is preparing to set out the changes in a speech in the coming days.

There is no suggestion that Mr Sunak is considering abandoning the legal commitment to reach net zero carbon emissions by 2050. But he is expected to declare that other countries need to bear more of the burden of dealing with climate change.

If Mr Sunak presses ahead with the plan it would represent a significant shift in the Conservative Party's approach to net zero policy, as well as establishing a clear dividing line with the Labour Party.

According to multiple sources briefed on Downing Street's thinking, Mr Sunak would use the speech to hail the UK as a world leader on net zero. But he would also argue that Britain has over-delivered on confronting climate change and that other countries need to do more to pull their weight.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lol

bold action against mad woke lefty proposals that your uncle saw in a facebook forward

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

finally, a politician brave enough to stand up against Big Sex Offender

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1706537808003846253i try not to descend into screaming levels of unactionable hatred about politicians, but gently caress, she's commissioned glamourshots to be used in news stories of her big speech about how LGBTQ people in africa and the middle east who are literally being fitted for nooses because of a wave of anti-gay legislation funded and pushed by the same US christian fundamentalists who are backing her should just suck it up and dangle because they're probably pretending and anyway gently caress off we're full

bbc article:

getty photo archive:

i'm living in semi-exile from the uk, unable to come home and help support my aged parents at the time they need me most because of then-home secretary theresa may making it half-impossible for non-EU spouses to immigrate, and i think i still hate braverman more, by like a magnitude more. gently caress, how are we stuck with these monsters in every position of power!

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 26, 2023

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

can't even say that 'immigrants' breed like animals and seek to destroy our culture and way of life without being smeared as a racist these days

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Diet Crack posted:

Reminder that Max Mosley called himself "on the left" as he handed out flyers at Oswald's side basically saying what Braverman is saying now.
speaking of 'basically saying what Braverman is saying now'
https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1706696399834775998
i'm not entirely sure this makes the same point that john thinks it does

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Am i so out of touch? No, it’s the other reactionaries who are wrong.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lol this is how the beeb opens their article on it

best known for his popular books, mr irving's views on modern history have led to him being accused of antisemitism

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Gort posted:

I don't understand why Liz Truss is being pushed as leader. The tory MPs had her as leader, it was disastrous and they themselves got rid of her. Why would they want her back
her faction has created their own Dolchstoßlegende where liz truss, the Choice of the People, and her brilliant randian ideals were about to usher in a new golden age of prosperity for all true Britons, but traitors and weaklings within the party joined hands with the shadowy and all-powerful Enemy (economists, civil servants, communists, europe, the gays, etc.) in a massive plot to betray and replace her with the quisling sunak. hence the need to return her to power, but this time with a cleansing purge of non-believers to make sure her vision can be implemented.

cool and unconcerning stuff

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
even by conference standards it feels like they're really getting their freak on this year
https://twitter.com/horton_official/status/1708865343215604213

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
remember, they just have a few concerns about sports participation and single-sex spaces

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

andyf posted:

Ugh you know it's bad when BBC news has to dedicate a page explaining that no, a 15 minute city is not a city where the council stop you travelling 15 minutes to go somewhere or decide how often you can go to the shops.
yeah, that's like 3 months? 4 months? from the first conspiracy nutter rants about 'have you heard of 15 minute cities, the newest zionist globalist plot to destroy western civilization and put microchips in our heads' to keynote speakers at the tory conference promising to protect honest, god-fearing britons from the scourge of 15 minute cities? really loving bodes well

edit: oh, and i see barclay's big announcement on restoring trust in the nhs is... amend the constitution to allow patients to refuse care from trans healthworkers (with applause lines for 'too much diversity' and 'we know what a woman is')

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/oct/03/trans-hospital-patients-in-england-to-be-banned-from-female--and-male-only-wards

really not looking forward to what the tories come back as after starmer's 'no hope is better than false hope' regime falls out of favour

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
having some trouble deciding whether to lol or scream
https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1709207218027934071

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Scientastic posted:

What the gently caress are they even talking about? What wokeness in science are they railing against?

Wait, do they just want to us genetics to justify racism and sexism?
probably that too, but between the singling out of 'biology' and the way seemingly every speaker at the conference has gone out of their way to throw out a few lines on 'we know what a woman is!!!' or 'unlike keir starmer we know a man can never be a woman!!!' even if they're talking about international trade links or whatever, in the immediate term i'm pretty sure they mean 'woke = saying trans people are real/valid'

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

NotJustANumber99 posted:

whats rees mogg up to? He seems to be struggling to keep up
attended liz truss's event, said her economic policies were really great but didn't go far enough, then expounded on the virtues of abolishing inheritance duties and replacing the income tax with a flat tax

pretty tame stuff compared to what the rest of the conference's been like tbh

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
starmermentum
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1710094705667567753

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
in April two Just Stop Oil protesters got three years jail on a Public Nuisance charge for climbing a bridge and putting up a banner, i'm sure all the usual suspects who cheered the judge saying 'i'm throwing the heaviest book possible at you regardless of what you actually did explicitly to discourage others from making similar protests because disruption to transport can never be countenanced' will show consistency of thought here

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/21/just-stop-oil-protesters-jailed-for-dartford-crossing-protest

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

wow, some unexpected positive ne-

lol. lmao.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I had to check the hands to make sure this wasn't AI-generated.
yeah, i paused on a still from the actual video and had the same thought

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
welp

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/10/people-supporting-hamas-in-uk-will-be-held-to-account-says-rishi-sunak

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
^^^
torygraph's own editorial includes gems like 'not all those opposed to giving full-throated backing to everything Israel does are evil - some of them are merely stupid, or cowardly', and concludes with a thinly-veiled exhortation to the cops to cave some skulls in at demonstrations this weekend, to show that britain stands on the side of righteousness

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2023/10/13/britain-must-stay-firm-in-its-support-for-israel/

might just be me looking back rose-tinted glasses, but the last few days have felt more deranged even than the post-9/11 aftermath

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 14, 2023

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lol guess i'm a glitter truther now

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/14/glitter-bomb-bounce-makes-keir-starmer-labour-poll-ratings-sparkle

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
even by torygraph opinion column standards this is a weird piece, it's like three paragraphs long and is just some disconnected thoughts about the Historical Sins of the Irish

quote:

It is not uncommon for friendly folk to come up to me, especially in pubs after a few, and ask if I’m “one of us”, by which they mean Irish. It’s my red hair, green eyes, and accent, I guess. I always laugh but say absolutely not.

Ireland might have reformed itself greatly in recent years, now self-identifying as one of the most progressive nations on earth (certainly, they think, when compared to Brexit Britain), but the truth is that the country’s politics still appear to be rotten.

Last week, the EU shocked everyone by doing the right thing: demanding the suspension of all aid to the Palestinians to avoid funding more terror against Israel. But there was immediate pushback from several countries, with the most vociferous seeming to come from Ireland. The EU was forced to backtrack.

Anyone who has seen the Republican murals in Belfast will know just how dear to the IRA terrorists was the Palestinian “cause” – specifically its civilian-targeting, bomb-happy “freedom fighting”. The links were tight indeed: the 1970s saw the Palestine Liberation Organisation sending massive arms shipments to the IRA, while IRA volunteers attended training camps in the Middle East. Ireland remained neutral during the Second World War, meanwhile, and Eamon de Valera even sent condolences on Hitler’s death in 1945 when everyone knew what had just happened.

But are the sympathies limited to the extremists? The Irish Government has been tentative in its support for Israel since the Hamas attacks, and has parroted many of the same arguments as the UN on Gaza. And so, for me, I cannot join in the general celebration of Ireland as altogether nice and reformed. Rather, its leaders should be ashamed of themselves.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
yeah, i've tried not posting anything about it unless it relates directly to UK stuff, and not much even then, because jesus christ is the whole situation loving grim, but sunak just jumping in headfirst on the 'this is a struggle between pure good and absolute evil' more even than the americans is... i don't even have the loving words

quote:

The government has criticised two Labour-led councils for boycotting Israel and some in the Conservative party hoped the bill would divide the Labour party. However, several senior Tories have also spoken out against it and are warning that it could inflame tensions between Jewish and Muslim communities already heightened by war in the Middle East.

The Conservative MP Crispin Blunt, the co-director of the International Centre of Justice for Palestinians, said: “This bill, as an example of exceptionalism for the state of Israel, is hard to beat. It also bakes impunity into our wider relationship and is disastrous for British influence and the ability to restrain our allies in the ghastly circumstances around Gaza.” He added: “It is all too obvious. The effect of this bill on community relations will in reality be utterly toxic. It is completely irrational to continue with this bill now.”

Another Tory MP called the decision to press ahead with the bill “loving madness”. “I’m worried there will actually be violence on the streets if we go ahead,” the person said.

A government spokesperson said: “This bill will tackle the real risk to community cohesion posed by public institutions using taxpayer money to pursue their own foreign policy agenda and will ensure the UK speaks with one voice internationally. We will continue to engage with and listen to stakeholders, parliamentarians and communities across the UK throughout the passage of the bill.”

However, Gove is not solely responsible for the bill or its timing, and Downing Street is understood to have been instrumental in deciding to bring it back to the Commons next week.

The government has been criticised for only specifically naming Israel in the bill, as well as referring to the occupied Palestinian territories as if they were indisputably part of Israel.
actual tory mps: this is complete madness, you don't know what you could unleash, the streets will run with blood!

no 10: this will cause some internal division within labor and potentially increase our chances of holding on to power by a fraction of a percent :)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
i think a part of it is that whatever they actually were and what they actually did in power, when in opposition the blairites did a good job of presenting themselves as a transformative, progressive force that would, well, make things better. a brighter world, full of new possibilities etc. in contrast, here's starmer and co.:

labour 1997: things can only get better

labour 2023: it is wrong to offer hope

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
started playing the new spiderman game and busted out laughing at Uncle Ben's unfortunate resemblance

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Sanford posted:

The main chat in my friend group is “loving nazis stole all the cool symbols.” That and “who exactly is coming out to bat for Rudolph Hess of all people in this day and age?”
'will no-one consider the plight of noble Hess' was definitely something the fash would bang on about in the 80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CUQu5K8lp8

not sure why they've revived it now tho :shrug:

cruella was not pleased with that, and basically told them publicly 'no, gently caress that, gently caress them, gently caress you, go crack some skulls'

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Diet Crack posted:

Steppeth forward Liz Truss

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

The Question IRL posted:

The date says today the 23rd of October. It was posted over in the Musk thread just now.
it's from a video of a guy holding a union jack being arrested at one of the solidarity with gaza marches a week or so back. right-wing social media frothed themselves up about it for a day or so and then dropped it when the plod clarified:

https://www.reuters.com/fact-check/london-protester-arrested-racist-comments-not-holding-union-jack-2023-10-16/

the twitter shithead is an outrage/monetized engagement merchant so he's probably just heard about it and is throwing poo poo out clicks regardless of age/veracity, and musk's a slackjawed puddinghead who'll believe anything he reads online so long as it's reactionary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol ffs

need I ask starmers view on this?
Labour officially expressed ‘concern’ about it