Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

does trinitarianism differentiate between jesus the person and jesus "the son"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Most trinitarians do in the sense of Jesus having human and divine parts but view them as essentially non-contradictory and unified.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypostatic_union

The doctrine of dyoenergism is two energies and is the mainstream historical position, as is dyothelitism (two wills), and dyophysitism (two natures)

Bit of a tangent: I'm not a Christian and most would very much not truck to this idea, but I like the concept of Jesus being locked in a struggle against some parts of human nature somewhat like in The Last Temptation of Christ, rather than having perfect congruence and fluency between the two parts. It seems like that serves as a better example to people and some things in the gospels make a lot more sense in that light, such as feeling forsaken by God and then something being accomplished, almost like the human parts had finally surrendered.

e: Sorry, potentially misread that- parsed 'person' as 'human person'. Your question could be interpreted in a number of different ways, but they are not viewed as being different by most mainstream Christianity.

nice obelisk idiot has issued a correction as of 01:11 on Dec 16, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Even the mainstream view of Christ does allow for some struggle against his human nature- the Gospel account of the agony in the garden is pretty clear that he's physically terrified at what he knows is going to happen, and I've always liked Chesterton's take that crying out "my God why have you forsaken me" on the cross was because fear and uncertainty are so fundamental to human existence that when God became man it meant he doubted himself.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

StashAugustine posted:

Even the mainstream view of Christ does allow for some struggle against his human nature- the Gospel account of the agony in the garden is pretty clear that he's physically terrified at what he knows is going to happen, and I've always liked Chesterton's take that crying out "my God why have you forsaken me" on the cross was because fear and uncertainty are so fundamental to human existence that when God became man it meant he doubted himself.

finally an answer to “could God make an X so large even they could not handle it?”

I actually like that interpretation

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Red Baron posted:

“could God make an X so large even they could not handle it?”

Well, the city made them remove it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Megamissen posted:

Jesus has both a human nature and a divine nature, which as nice obelisk idiot pointed out, are linked together in a single "person". Note that in this case person does not mean human, as theology will talk about the first, second, and third persons of the Trinity, and only the second person of the Trinity had an Incarnation and can be said in any way to be human.

There is an ancient heresy called Docetism that held a larger differentiation between Jesus as human and Jesus as divine, which basically stated that God entered into Jesus at his baptism and left Jesus on the cross (because God definitionally cannot die in their theology). So most trinitarian theologians are going to take pains to illustrate that while there are two natures, the unity within the person is the important part.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Was the Cadaver Synod the will of God? :thunk:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

Everything is the will of god, even the freaky stuff. Especially the freaky stuff. God is a pervert

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
There's one thing I've been wondering. When did we ligeon? Now we're doing it again?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

ligion = binding, like “ligature”. for social and psychological stability

what was natural in prehistory has to be done artificially now that we are all slaves to the inhuman, world-consuming power of the economy. it’s all agriculture’s fault. or maybe language’s. writing’s?

Tungsten has issued a correction as of 00:29 on Dec 18, 2023

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Horseshoe theory posted:

I mean, it wasn't righteous on the basis that once someone is dead, they are subjected to a more important existential judgement than something decided by the earthly church, but God probably willed it for the same reason any of us would (because it's hilarious).

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
God willed every stupid evil thing the Catholics did so that we'd have Prots and we'd see that the Catholics were right all along.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
"every thing that happens was directly and specifically willed by god" is predestination calvinist bullshit for retards

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

listening to Jesus to a Child by George Michael on the bus. tragic.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Probably Magic posted:

I mean, it wasn't righteous on the basis that once someone is dead, they are subjected to a more important existential judgement than something decided by the earthly church, but God probably willed it for the same reason any of us would (because it's hilarious).

War and Pieces posted:

God willed every stupid evil thing the Catholics did so that we'd have Prots and we'd see that the Catholics were right all along.

Ohtori Akio posted:

"every thing that happens was directly and specifically willed by god" is predestination calvinist bullshit for retards

all correct answers

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
a witness came to my door today. told him i believe in god but didnt have the heart to tell him hes in a cult

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
Christians sent me to reparative therapy for being trans they should pay me reparations. Thanks.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
do i have to pay you too

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ohtori Akio posted:

do i have to pay you too

I'm pretty sure everyone needs to pay up.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
Seriously though doing what christians have done to queers and to me personally has costs that will be paid in one way or another. I'm mostly joking when I suggest reparations because I don't think a church would ever be interested in doing anything like that. That's just not realistic, but things that go around come around.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the point i was making was just that i am a trans woman who is christian. so like idk how reparations to myself would work. mostly i think there are dirtbag social reactionary freaks who use a popular religion to push a social reactionary line, rather than the religion itself having any prohibition of treating gender dysphoria.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

a social group chat for my local church had like 2-3 people melting down about Francis approving blessing gay couples while everyone else, including the priest, told them to shut the gently caress up and get ready for Christmas. Normie theory of politics wins again

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the normal guys at church are win.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
the abnormal ones are insufferable :(

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

bumping this. The witchcraft thread is cool and all, and i'm sorry LITERALLY A BIRD, but I'd like something a little more focused, and this exists.

Here's part of the oldest extant collection of women's literature. The Therigatha- the verses of the elder nuns. It's in the Pali Canon of Theravada Buddhism, and is also found in the Mahayana as part of the āgama literature, but is obscure in that tradition.

quote:

At Sāvatthi. In the morning, Somā Bhikkhunī dressed, took her bowl and robe, and entered Sāvatthi for alms. After collecting alms in Sāvatthi, finishing her meal, and returning from almsround, she went to spend the day in the Blind Grove. She entered the Blind Grove and sat at the base of a certain tree. Then Māra the Evil One, wishing to produce fear, terror, and trepidation in Somā Bhikkhunī and wishing to make her lose concentration, approached her and spoke these verses to her:

“That which is to be reached by sages,
That condition which is so hard to produce,
Cannot be attained by a woman
With her limited wisdom.”

Then Somā Bhikkhunī thought, “Who is speaking these verses – a human or a non-human?” Then she thought, “It is Māra the Evil One who is speaking these verses, wishing to produce fear, terror, and trepidation in me and wishing to make me lose concentration.” Having known “This is Māra the Evil One,” she replied to him with these verses:

“What difference does being a woman make
When the mind is well-concentrated,
Following the course of knowing,
Correctly and insightfully seeing the Dhamma?

“If someone thinks ‘I am a woman’
or ‘I am a man’
or ‘I am anything’
then that person is subject to Māra’s control.”

Then Māra the Evil One, thinking “Somā Bhikkhunī knows me,” unhappy and depressed, immediately disappeared.
it seems to acknowledge gender provisionally, while on absolute terms taking the stance that it doesn't exist. In fact, it goes so far as to say that if you believe that gender is a solid thing, you are controlled by the Devil. Which is kind of a wild taking point in our present landscape. I like it.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
that seems to have some broad similarities to a christian teaching on the topic: namely that gender is worldly, not of God. the religion can dream up roles and rules and ideas that correspond to the worldly realities we experience, but fundamental religious experience is ungendered.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

that's interesting. do you know any specific verses or religious writers cited for that view? nbd if you don't off hand

I grew up in the UMC, and admire a lot about Christianity when the focus is on the right thing, such as compassionate works. I think that's often a mark against a lot of western (and eastern) Buddhism in comparison. or it's channeled into more individual pursuits, like becoming an addiction counselor etc.

i'd almost feel at home in the right church. but more relevant to me would be a really loving scary rinzai dude hitting me in the head with a stick... (not a sex thing)

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
its a sex thing

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
im really just referencing galatians 3:28 there. but its a good one

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ohtori Akio posted:

its a sex thing

the bridegroom...

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i meant the rinzai guy with a stick

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Megamissen posted:

This is what separates the Orthodox Church from the Oriental Orthodox Churches (Armenian, Coptic, Syriac and Ethiopian/Eritrean)

quote:

Miaphysitism (/maɪˈæfɪsaɪtɪzəm, miː-/[1]) is the Christological doctrine that holds Jesus, the "Incarnate Word, is fully divine and fully human, in one 'nature' (physis)."[2] It is a position held by the Oriental Orthodox Churches and differs from the Chalcedonian position that Jesus is one "person" (Greek: ὑπόστασις) in two "natures" (Greek: φύσεις), a divine nature and a human nature (Dyophysitism).

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

War and Pieces posted:

This is what separates the Orthodox Church from the Oriental Orthodox Churches (Armenian, Coptic, Syriac and Ethiopian/Eritrean)
they really hosed up and tried to fix this by proposing monoenergism as a compromise, and when everyone got mad at that, monothelitism. got a pope anathematized

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I'm the shadow pope.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

LuxuryLarva posted:

Seriously though doing what christians have done to queers and to me personally has costs that will be paid in one way or another. I'm mostly joking when I suggest reparations because I don't think a church would ever be interested in doing anything like that. That's just not realistic, but things that go around come around.

our identities and experiences make us extra mobile within certain progressive religious spaces, which isn’t exactly a reparation, more a silver lining I suppose

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Megamissen posted:

its not a contradition that needs to be resolved

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

nice obelisk idiot posted:

they really hosed up and tried to fix this by proposing monoenergism as a compromise, and when everyone got mad at that, monothelitism. got a pope anathematized

Folks, don't let your Basileus interfere with religious disputes

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEiDRi4Itc

We all have a little bit of God in us don't we?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
thats a good scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

to be honest dignitas infinta has me steamed. major weaselly dishonest vibes from a pack of spiritually dead vipers, imo. i feel sorry for anyone who feels compelled to stay within the church.

there's some verses in the pali canon of buddhism about how rejecting sense pleasure, but not earnestly practicing a spiritual life as being an absolutely wretched state: poisoned against everything sustaining and nourishing. and I feel like that fits so much of religious leadership perfectly. too worldly to realize true compassion, but not worldly enough to be convivial. life is a tomb in which a faint, distant heaven can be perceived. and the goal is to drag everyone else into that tomb.