Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

What is *the* game to play online with friends who are core/hardcore gamers these days? Other than CS2?

valorant's probably near the top of the heap still popularity-wise, although you're gonna get a very similar experience to CSGO2, so it's mostly up to a matter of which fits your aesthetics better

other than that, league is still absurdly popular with a strong competitive scene and monthly tournaments that you can sign up for with a full team of 5 friends, and i assume apex and warzone are still going strong if you're interested in more standard gunplay instead of another tactical shooter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Cocoon is good. I have three balls.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is Forspoken dirt cheap yet?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
^^$33 usd for ps5 on Amazon, which is a rough price given that the RE4 remake is at that same price tag.

I’m nearly at the end of Paper Mario Origami King, and I think other than some pretty shaky combat mechanics and phoned in elemental levels, this definitely counts as a Paper Mario. Certainly as much as Super did if nothing else. Legitimately funny and really good music.

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 30, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Waffleman_ posted:

have you heard about the acclaimed mmo final fantasy xiv with a free trial that will soon include the base game and the award winning expansions heavensward and stormblood and allow you to play up to level 70 with no restrictions on playtime

you can't do ultimates on a free trial anymore though...

https://twitter.com/EENlX/status/1707685491909558322

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope they don't release a free version of the game that strips out all MMO aspects and makes it only a single player game that doesn't require involving other players. Oh no, that would be awful, oh dear.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jerusalem posted:

I hope they don't release a free version of the game that strips out all MMO aspects and makes it only a single player game that doesn't require involving other players. Oh no, that would be awful, oh dear.

you'd be better off just watching a youtube video of all story cutscenes

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The Postman posted:

Cocoon is good. I have three balls.

I am a sucker for this aesthetic, whatever it’s called. Hyperlight Driftercore until someone comes up with something better

The puzzles are weird because unlike the previous two games they’re not based on anything remotely anchored to reality, I’m just drifting through pathways barely having a grasp of anything that’s going on. Dream logic puzzles.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I'm not sure how far you're in but I also have "three balls" in Cocoon and for me at least it's a really great sweet spot of difficulty. I haven't entirely breezed through - I'm engaged and having to think - but I've never been completely stuck/frustrated and needed to look anything up.

The world is mysterious and ambiguous but the game does a great job of scaffolding how certain "rules" of the world work without a formal tutorial or even text.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Infinitum posted:

Battletoad's Turbo Tunnel on loop

Turbo Tunnel? Nah, you want the hair-tearing experience that is Clinger Winger.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jerusalem posted:

You barely need to engage with other people right now

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

you can literally go through the entire msq and the only time you would ever have to interact with other players is for 8 man story trials (an instance with a single boss inside it) and i guarantee you the players there will not seem any different than the npcs you had been running dungeons with already. you can ignore the fact they're even there unless you're a healer i guess. just dodge aoes and kill the boss

correction you would also have to do the 24 man crystal tower raids but those are even more of a braindead experience

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Preemptive 'well then why make it an MMO :smug:' post

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Why not? It's MMO-ness is on a sliding scale which seems ideal imo. It's as much an MMO for ppl who want it to be and its barely an MMO for the ppl that don't. Perfect for everyone

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's also worth noting that for the most part the main quest is a visual novel with the occasional dungeon.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

gotta be able to tolerate mmo quest design

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I don't have a casual 200 hours to kill

JRPGs in general aren't considerate of my time but MMOs even less so

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What's that FF14 boss I've seen that basically smashes a hole through reality, and then a giant whale or something flies out?

Always thought that design was neat.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Infinitum posted:

What's that FF14 boss I've seen that basically smashes a hole through reality, and then a giant whale or something flies out?

you're probably thinking of neo exdeath's phase transition, though it's sadly an optional boss that i don't think a lot of regular ol' players have ever seen

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Samantha Boole

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/UnrealAlexander/status/1708021829342748890?t=S_7vDGdKtgASDTgNi9lctA&s=19

Lol Epic just forgot to tell multiple people that they were fired

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.gamesradar.com/goldenjoystickawards/

"Best Gaming Hardware spans consoles, pc components, accessories, controllers and more, recognising the tech that made class-leading enhancements in the last 12 months or creates new ways to play. Which hardware hit that sweet spot of design, functionality and desirability for you?

"Turtle beach pro headset"
"alienware [numbers]"
ASUS ROG Strix Scope II 96
Playstation VR 2
Samsung 990 Pro ---- WHY IS THIS HERE. It's literally an SSD
Nitro Deck

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ah yes, Dave the Diver. A fine indie game produced by the fine indie studio Mintrocket. Oh hey their name is a link on Wikipedia. Let's just mouse over and

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I tried a pair of Turtle Beach headphones once and they sounded like a loving tin can on a string

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Waffleman_ posted:

Ah yes, Dave the Diver. A fine indie game produced by the fine indie studio Mintrocket. Oh hey their name is a link on Wikipedia. Let's just mouse over and

That would explain why I've seen it promoed everywhere. Marketing budget must be wild

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

this is supposedly part of a larger brand management strategy nexon's been doing to try and scrub some of their big lovely company reputation away by creating small "indie" subsidiaries that produce games for them. dark and darker originated as an internal project under the same sort of umbrella before the head of that division snatched portions of the game's initial builds and went off to form iron mace

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I've been wondering something as of late: do goons have any discord servers for, like, casual gatherings and gaming?
Been feeling down and missing gaming with people, and none of my IRL friends are into it. I doubt I want to go into MMOs again and just find people, I'd rather hang out with someone and play Jackbox or any other multiplayer game that seems cool.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hwurmp posted:

I tried a pair of Turtle Beach headphones once and they sounded like a loving tin can on a string

Turtle Beach bought Roccat in 2019, who up to then had been my favourite peripheral manufacturer. Their keyboards and mice (Suora my beloved) were super nice and lasted ages. After Turtle Beach took them over they basically became their budget brand and everything was cheap poo poo. I have a pair of their headphones and while they sound alright they are the worst made set I own and creak like crazy whenever you move your head.

Vookatos posted:

I've been wondering something as of late: do goons have any discord servers for, like, casual gatherings and gaming?
Been feeling down and missing gaming with people, and none of my IRL friends are into it. I doubt I want to go into MMOs again and just find people, I'd rather hang out with someone and play Jackbox or any other multiplayer game that seems cool.

A lot of specific games will have Discords for grouping and chilling, and there's some more general discords. Look up the Goon Discord Network and have a look through it.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 30, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pvt. Parts posted:

What is *the* game to play online with friends who are core/hardcore gamers these days? Other than CS2?

I mean what is your definition of "hardcore gamers". There's a bunch of co-op or pvp games out that require significant personal skill and practice to execute along with applying yourself to understand the knowledge and macro the game requires. Also requiring actual teamwork.

Really though anyone who self describes themselves as a hardcore gamer is probably not worth playing with imo.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vermain posted:

you're probably thinking of neo exdeath's phase transition, though it's sadly an optional boss that i don't think a lot of regular ol' players have ever seen

That's the one. Wish WoW did weirder custom poo poo with its raid bosses

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It was all downhill after they stopped adding the Ulduar-style hard mode toggles.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Infinitum posted:

It's all paired together.

The single player campaign is a set of missions. As you progress new side missions pop up, the lighter GaaS stuff, but you don't really need to focus on them.
The story campaign has you switching heroes over the course of it, once you complete that you get to the endlessly grindable GaaS poo poo - which are just constant missions

It's actually pretty decent story as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDBojdBAjXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4gQos9BffI

Agree the campaign was decent and if you like comic book stuff then it was worth it, the thing that sucks is that because of the GaaS stuff they dont give you all the time in the campaign to unlock all the toys for the characters, some characters you barely play, and it's too bad because once you unlock some stuff some characters play way better and are a lot of fun.

It's Batman Arkham-like combat, so it's familiar, but I think it gave a good feel how different characters play; flying around as Iron Man, or doing a lot of area of effect smashing as Hulk.

Real shame they didnt get to focus on just a singleplayer game, I think it couldve been great but at least what's there was fun to run through. The few times I got to play multiplayer with a full group was really cool, too bad they hosed that up too with no drop in/out and also buggy as heck.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Cocoon is so satisfying

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I don't quite like the boss battles as touching the boss means starting all the way from the beginning

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vermain posted:

Anyone who doesn't do do the Omega raid series is missing out

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

"best indie game" awards have always been a crock of poo poo from top to bottom

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

From the Lego thread. MOC = My Own Creation. It's a custom piece

Nighthand posted:

The guy who made a real cool extra-large and detailed Tallneck MOC and later did a Deathjaw just released his Tremortusk and it looks incredible. I have zero concept of how difficult it is to get the pieces though, I'm still new to all this Lego business as an adult.

https://mocbay.com/product/tremortusk/

Nearly 8,000 bricks.

For comparison the official Tallneck model is only 1,222 bricks

The 7th Guest posted:

"best indie game" awards have always been a crock of poo poo from top to bottom

The Game Awards slowly becoming the Gaming Academy Awards has also been fun to watch

Veotax
May 16, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.gamesradar.com/goldenjoystickawards/

"Best Gaming Hardware spans consoles, pc components, accessories, controllers and more, recognising the tech that made class-leading enhancements in the last 12 months or creates new ways to play. Which hardware hit that sweet spot of design, functionality and desirability for you?

Samsung 990 Pro ---- WHY IS THIS HERE. It's literally an SSD

I think that's one of the SSDs that lists as fast enough to be compatible with the PS5 so you can run games from it? It's a bit of of a stretch I suppose, but I guess it counts. Though if it's in there, they should also include those weird propriety SSD modules the Series S/X use (maybe it is, I haven't looked!)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

'best indie game' is like 'best animated feature' at the oscars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Got all of the moon ancestors and finished the game. Only real complaint is that one of the balls felt a little underutilized.