Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sean Strickland world championship match.
This poll is closed.
No. 2 4.88%
gently caress you. 22 53.66%
I'm going to stop watching the UFC. 8 19.51%
I stopped watching the UFC years ago. 9 21.95%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Further proof of what Mighty Mouse DJ was saying, MMA is the easiest sport to win a championship in. Striking/footwork in MMA is trash.

How are you going to call yourself Stylebender, and then lose to a guy who spams 1-2?

e: Izzy is 1-2 in his past 3, and 4-3 in his past 7, I hope he doesn't get an immediate rematch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

After the first round Izzy looked scared the whole time.

He was basically:
feint , feint , leg kick, feint... move out of the way of Sean's 1-2 and reset, feint , feint , leg kick, feint... move out of the way of Sean's 1-2 and reset, feint

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

blue footed boobie posted:

I can’t imagine Strickland is really on a 16/16 contract?

Whenever a fighter is offered a title fight, the UFC offers them a new contract. So Strickland is probably making $200k/200k now. Which is still super lovely and low for a champ/headliner.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

UFC pay is ridiculously low.

As previously said, Australians fighting in the USA would have 30% of their purse taxed.

John Makdessi will be able to deduct the 45% aussie tax he paid on his USA federal taxes, so likely paying very little to no USA Federal taxes next April.

The UFC only pays for 1 corner person to fly, so the fighters always end up paying for more air travel for additional corners.

I am not your tax professional, etc etc.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Brut posted:

This probably doesn't change your overall point but just for clarity, John Makdessi is Canadian.

:lol: I take it back then. Who cares about Canadians? Go enjoy your free health care, bitch.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Bucky Fullminster posted:

sorry to continue a barely relevant chat from days ago, but was away for the weekend and found this unsent reply open so hey

Of course taxes are good, but they are usually predicated on the principle that:

1) the state in question helped build the business that made that profit, by providing all the infrastructure around it, so are reasonably entitled to take a cut, and

2) that the person/business will continue to use and benefit from the services that state provides, by living there, which they can therefore be reasonably expected to contribute to.

Neither of those are true in this case. If AUS want to take a cut of the UFC's profits after the event, fine, but getting into this guy's purse - especially after giving the UFC $16 million to come here in the first place - is gross.

If a foreigner comes to fight in Australian promotion, sure, take a little, cos the host country helped make that happen. If an Australian goes to fight in another country, sure, take a little, cos they raised you and you might retire there. This is just robbery.

But yeah, surely it's just an accounting error by someone and he'll get most of it back, so anyhoo good chat back to mma

This is a horrible take.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Bucky Fullminster posted:

referring to what AUS did to this dude's pay, presumably

I don't know why you are effort posting your thoughts on taxes in the MMA thread, but this is 100% the UFC to blame, not AUS.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

chaleski posted:

Dana also announced that Grasso-Schevchenko 3 is next, even though Valentina has to get surgery for her fractured thumb and I assume won't even be able to hit pads for a few months, awesome. I reeeaaally wish Blanchfield or Fiorot could take a crack at the belt instead, but I guess we need to wait a year or so for yet another title rematch.

Grasso gets injured in training a month before the fight and we get Valentina vs Blanchfield for interim champ 2025.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

delightful posted:

Just catching up on the ONE card and loving it. Has Dana ever commented on the possibility of adding 1-2 non-MMA combat sports to UFC cards? I think as long as they didn't add a ton of weight classes, I'd definitely enjoy a Muay Thai and/or Boxing fight. It would break up the cards nicely, and gives them more champs to promote.

If they ever do, you know its going to be White Power Slap

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I remember these threads used to get super lovely when there was multiple weeks or even a month break between UFC events. In these next two weeks, lets bring it back to old school days!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Tito Ortiz
:ortiz:

and GSP

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

adjacent MMA news. but Jon Jones's brother is unfortunately going crazy right now in Las Vegas as well:

https://twitter.com/chanjones55/status/1707413353382166668?s=20

https://twitter.com/MitchellRenz365/status/1707385931492163742?s=20

i can't remember what it's from, maybe Hellier, but there's a theory among some people here in Appalachia that there's some crazy amount of limestone or some other kind of rock that's emitting some kind of waves or low-level environmental fumes that's making us all crazy, and that's the thing that explains it.

anyway there's gotta be the same type of thing in Las Vegas that particularly affects the Jones family. Hope Bones's brother gets help. Someone should have not allowed him to sign with the Raiders.

CTE and addiction behavior. Its nothing new or complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

PEDs are a hell of a drug