Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sean Strickland world championship match.
This poll is closed.
No. 2 4.88%
gently caress you. 22 53.66%
I'm going to stop watching the UFC. 8 19.51%
I stopped watching the UFC years ago. 9 21.95%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fuckl you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

as in that's what I voted

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

really funny.

and if for some reason you haven't watched tkz / poirier, please, please, please do.

Im not sure that it's the best mma fight of all time but it certainly makes the long list of nominees

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

Is it that IV rehydration masks everything or is it just that they specifically test for plastic particles that would result from injections and IV rehydration gives plausibility for those being there? Asking out of general curiosity rather than trying to say anything about Weidman.

IV rehydration is indeed banned because of its ability to mask other PEDs by temporarily diluting the concentration of those things in the blood. It's not an effective cover vs USADA testing, or even against high-quality lab testing that can detect metabolites on the picograms levels. It is possible that was part of the Hendricks/Weidman fall-off, but given the amount of weight cutting trouble the former had, and the damage that the latter absorbed, I don't think it's necessary for a coherent story.

kimbo305 posted:

It's the plastic saline bags giving off microplastics that's the tell for IV rehydration, so the first case. I'm sure there's a tiny volume that comes injecting with plastic syringes, but presumably not a detectable threshold.

I remember someone mentioning when the ban first started that you can use glass bottles for doing the IV drip, and never heard more about that.

You can use glass bottles and tubing to get around it, but that is extremely hard to set up and transport, not as many people know how to do it, and the pt. needs to sit perfectly still for the duration of the IV.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I remember in the first half of that Weidman-Rockhold fight thinking a "wow this is a really good fight between two very very good fighters" and they beat each other silly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Speaking of goons vs MMA fighters Jason MacDonald is doing an invite-only clinic near me today but I can't go because of my own work schedule. Yes, it's on a Wednesday afternoon, which makes sense in a context which I'm not going to share.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

was it a Fatherdog post that was something like: the toughest guy you know could fight the toughest guys in your state, then all the state champs could fight for the regional belt, then those guys could fight to get national notice, then all of the top guys could fight for the privilege to get the poo poo beat out of them by Jack Johnson? that's kind of what it feels like.

It was fatherdog paraphrasing a statement from an old-time boxing journalist - the tougest guy on the block / guy who can whip everyone in the neighbourhood / the guy in the town who can whip all of the best guys in every neighbourhood / the guy in the state who can whip all of the best guys from every town... if he's lucky he can get a life-altering beating from Jack Dempsy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I hate that I have to post this again but please take the tax discussion to the theory and practice of australian taxation thread.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Look, I realize and accept I am a rabid fan of Jun Yong Park, but when is a dude who is 7-2 in UFC, on a 4 fight win streak with 3 RNC finishes in a row gonna get some ranked opponents

Where all my Iron Turtle perverts (Iron Turtverts) at

I kinda want to see Iron Turtle vs Big Chase Hooper, and then the winner of that vs someone like Roman Dolidze

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The new meta is to get a DUI ahead of a title fight to guarantee your excuse for a rematch

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kragger99 posted:

Question for the thread: Who was the MMA fighter that got you into watching/following MMA?

Even though I bought the UFC 3 PPV live back in 1994 (didn't watch much MMA after that for a few years) I'd have to say it was Mirko Cro cop highlights that got me into it. So he was my first fav fighter.

Ken Shamrock, Randy Couture, Karo Parysian all got my attention in different ways. I was into it in the early early days as a teenager, but it was hard to follow/watch. Those three really got my eyes on the sport quite a bit more.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CarlCX posted:

I had always been interested in MMA, but Ken Shamrock in the WWF plus parents who had recently given up on content bans were what got me to finally rent UFC tapes from Blockbuster. But the guy that wound up sticking with me most?

The Ninja Cop, Steve Jennum, who despite looking incredibly physically unimposing and having no apparent standout skills managed to win UFC 3, a tournament that included Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock. Except Royce exhausted himself fighting Kimo in the first round, so he had to pull out, and Shamrock hurt himself in the second round, so he had to pull out, meaning the tournament final was between Harold Howard, with one win in the first round, and Steve Jennum, a tournament alternate who had not fought that night and in fact had never fought before at all.

In hindsight, the way I watch the sport for its complete bullshit now makes a lot of sense.

I owned this on VHS and it may still be kickin' around somewhere.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CarlCX posted:

The shoddy video streaming reminds me, I had at least three friends who didn't give a single gently caress about the sport ask me how to watch Bob Sapp fights because of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7wUeUNKgDY

god you can straight up count the pixels

the clip from 1:14 on loop as a gif with the caption "where's your jiu jitsu now, playboy?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

coathat posted:

In true ONE fashion I’m expecting Stamp’s next fight to either be a grappling match or that stupid special rules striking

It's going to be a dance fight against Singapore's top tiktok star, judged by Chatri personally