Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sean Strickland world championship match.
This poll is closed.
No. 2 4.88%
gently caress you. 22 53.66%
I'm going to stop watching the UFC. 8 19.51%
I stopped watching the UFC years ago. 9 21.95%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TheKingslayer posted:

I wanna go back in time and tell people that Ryan Bader is gonna KO Fedor R1 twice.

I wanna go back to the night he cost a goon a nine-fight parlay by losing to Tito Ortiz in 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I won’t name and shame, but the bettor read one of my frequent posts referencing that bet within the last year and asked me to let them forget it. Sorry; too funny.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Faustian Bargain posted:

book weidman vs pereira
Ah, a fellow Anderson fan!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I know Jon Jones has snuffed out what little faith most of us had in USADA, but the spectacular falls of Hendricks and Weidman can’t be explained by time alone.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If Fatherdog were still here, he'd be having your guts for garters for this slight against The Chris.
Oh I remember that. Even suggesting Weidman was on gear was met with “he takes short-notice fights all the time and pisses clean”. A short time later we found out IV rehydration masked everything and his career nosedived right in time with the ban.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Vitor did blast him a few times before The Wrestling began, but Rockhold put a life-altering GnP on him that went on for the back half of the third and most of the fourth.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Marching Powder posted:

one more thing about weidman, i have never seen anyone do that to kelvin gastellum. before or since.
what about hotdogs in aggregate

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Lid posted:

Minor nitpick Carl - in your rant about the middleweights you make appointments this fight is bullshit for many reasons but note "this is Anderson Silva's belt". It probably isn't the best comparison given there was so many lovely challengers they put up against Silva - Patrick Cote and Thales Leites. Especially Thales who got a title shot after "winning" a split decision over Nate Marquardt who had two points deductions in the fight.
Yeah and Anderson nearly hit a step-behind footsweep on him in the first round before he spent the next three and a half buttscooting. That's not on the champ.

Patrick Cote was the first one to make it to three rounds before he blew his own knee.

I would watch both of those men fight a thousand rounds before I paid for a Sean Strickland PPV.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Before goons meeting fighters chat washes past: I've met a few famous fighters thanks to being in a big city and on a team well-connected to both the fight game and party scene, but the only time I turned into a gushing fanboy was when I found out Wanderlei was doing an autograph signing at a Montréal Travelodge the morning of UFC 97. I bolted over there as fast as I could get a cab, got to tell him I started training MMA because of his old Sherdog highlight reel set to In Bloom, and still have that photo framed.

My coach commented on the ensuing Facebook post of us side-by-side with "Normal Head vs Mega Head". This was before Wandy had his plastic surgery and... yeah, accurate.

I got shut out of VIP later that night by an ill-timed piss break and failed to meet Anderson for what would be one of many Polkaroo moments.

Marching Powder posted:

i laughed at this when i saw it but i just thought about it again today which caused like a minute of cackling and i thought you should know
:sun:

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 7, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Super Deuce posted:

I don’t watch the garbage, but apparently Rogan had Tulsi and BJ Penn on together. I’m almost tempted to listen to hear what insane theories they have about the fire.
I’m almost tempted to listen and hope there’s another fire.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yes I meant Rogan’s pile of money and not a Hawaiian island; this is PSP not CSPAM.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thinking back to 00’s / early 10’s MW and how Anderson would have clowned Strickland so hard the Griffin and Bonnar fights would have looked competitive….

Izzy looked like he was in the Romero fight but without a reason to behave that way.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
how does one lose a kickboxing match to a guy in bolt-upright philly shell

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

A Passing Feeling posted:

Everyone seemed pretty comfortable or at least completely silent letting Strickland continue to call Adesanya a ''Chinaman'' over and over again
Surely I'm late to this party but That Doesn't Even Make Sense

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Being Black in China is an experience more racist than a UFC event so I can't blame him for trying to offset that.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I would greatly enjoy another Costa Nut Uppercut on Strickland.

Someone tweet at Costa that I will crowdfund his win bonus if he loses by DQ.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Strickland’s overall attitude and being dumb enough to fight for peanuts would definitely match.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks I needed that.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
and now he fights in a c-… for a n-…

UUUUUuuuuggghhh

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
https://youtu.be/S-6F1O6RcYY?si=NzLyegCPo_dlqxNd

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
USADA out when

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
May the two of them explosively self-destruct like Vince’s quads

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Dana once infamously told his entourage to "pay the taxes" to Shogun after his first fight with Machida, which meant doubling his show money (iirc $250k gross). Funny how the cheap gently caress won't do it now.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Brut posted:

I don't know anything about EliteXC or Sengoku, but was Affliction not 2 events and 1 cancelled event?
Yeah and those two events were pretty solid money pits. Josh Barnett pissing hot enough to kill an entire company was really the best way for it to end.

e: and talking about it reminded me of Edwin Dewees:

quote:

In his quarter-final matchup on The Ultimate Fighter 4, Dewees dominated his first round against Gideon Ray, getting a take down and staying at guard for much of the round. However, in the second round, Dewees sustained a large cut in his forehead, forcing referee Herb Dean to call a timeout for the doctor to assess the cut due to the large amount of blood pouring from Dewees' head. After assessing the situation, the doctor allowed the fight to continue. At the end of the first two rounds, UFC President Dana White announced that the fight had been fought to a draw, therefore the fighters would go a third round.

In the third round, Dewees continued to bleed profusely, with blood continuously and steadily pouring from his wound. The two fighters continued to grapple, rolling around in a pool of blood. Ray was clearly distressed by the amount of blood, as Dewees lay atop him and punched with one hand and held the other one over the cut, attempting to alleviate the bleeding. Dewees won the final round with a 10–9 decision. This fight was perhaps the bloodiest battle ever witnessed on The Ultimate Fighter. Dewees proceeded to the semi-finals, but was eliminated from the tournament by Patrick Côté by unanimous decision.

Dewees was featured on the undercard of The Ultimate Finale 4, where he lost to Jorge Rivera by first-round technical knockout. After referee Yves Lavigne stopped the fight, Dewees sprang off the ground in protest of the stoppage.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 16, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Head trauma is loving scary.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I remember these threads used to get super lovely when there was multiple weeks or even a month break between UFC events. In these next two weeks, lets bring it back to old school days!
or can jon jones do more crimes plz

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I was aware of MMA but didn’t develop a fandom until I saw footage of Wanderlei’s berzerker barrage back when people still spelled his name with a V.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That character really soured my enjoyment of Street Fighter 4.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

mewse posted:

Wow.. rare to see a lead uppercut have power like that, split the guard perfectly
Small gloves definitely helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ilmucche posted:

They did it. Those crazy bastards actually did it
<Jurassic Park theme plays as a man slowly slides along frothy prison concrete in front of an audience of thousands>