Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Matte paintings were a crucial visual effects technique used in old movies to create elaborate and often fantastical settings and backgrounds. These paintings were typically employed in scenes where building physical sets or traveling to real locations was either impractical due to budget constraints or impossible due to technical limitations. Filmmakers would identify scenes or shots that required a painted backdrop. This could be anything from a majestic castle on a hill to an exotic alien landscape. The decision to use a matte painting was based on the narrative needs and the limitations of physical set construction or location shooting. To integrate the matte painting with live-action footage, a technique called "matte photography" was used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

They made such a huge deal about this movie being CG everything and ushering in an era of "virtual" actors and they matte painted that?

Star Trek has lots of neat ones: https://www.thetrekcollective.com/2019/10/star-trek-matte-paintings-at-auction.html

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Posting to remember to come back and save some of these for desktops when I get home

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'm a slut for paintings, sets, and costumes in general, OP.
I'm usually gushing over some random fact of, "that's a miniature" or, "that makeup took 6hours each day"

Cool pics.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Resources:

http://bigerboat.com/indexfx/

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Woah they have movies that aren't even out yet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I could have sworn we’ve had this exact thread about a year ago and I’m having deja vu.

Anyway, Blade Runner and Dick Tracy have some dope rear end matte backgrounds,

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Gonna sneak into OP's place and gloss up all his poo poo

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I know they won’t but they should bring this back because CGI still blows 99% of the time.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I know they won’t but they should bring this back because CGI still blows 99% of the time.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Isn't this a wizard master thread? What's the gimmick? OP has some cool stuff in it, are they actually CG or something to enrage film buffs?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

:hmmyes:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Many of the artists on the page linked earlier have very recent credits on big budget movies as digital matte artists, so I assume it’s still a thing.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Sophy Wackles posted:

Many of the artists on the page linked earlier have very recent credits on big budget movies as digital matte artists, so I assume it’s still a thing.

Makes sense, if it would be faster to digitally paint instead of 3d modeling and doesn't need to move it would save big money and rendering time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A Strange Aeon posted:

Isn't this a wizard master thread? What's the gimmick? OP has some cool stuff in it, are they actually CG or something to enrage film buffs?

he does this, it's to lure you into thinking he can make good posts so he can blindside you in the future

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
thank you, wizard master

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
these are really cool

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

They made such a huge deal about this movie being CG everything and ushering in an era of "virtual" actors and they matte painted that?

Star Trek has lots of neat ones: https://www.thetrekcollective.com/2019/10/star-trek-matte-paintings-at-auction.html

I love the recurring matte painting of Cardassia.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

he does this, it's to lure you into thinking he can make good posts so he can blindside you in the future

I say don't call people out for making bad threads/posts until they actually do it.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Valko posted:

I say don't call people out for making bad threads/posts until they actually do it.

drat, wizard master still got i!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Shoutout to some understated/realistic mattes. Here's the opening shot of Gremlins:

Also I just watched the Hudsucker Proxy last night and all the shots of the corporate building are either mattes or miniatures:

And one of my all-time favorites from Ghostbusters II:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Valko posted:

oh no, this is definitely a good thread. I can't fault him for that.

Love this one from hellraiser 2, forgive the garbage quality

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cardassia

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Modal Auxiliary posted:

And one of my all-time favorites from Ghostbusters II:

I’ve seen this painting up close. It looks like it was thrown together at four o’clock on a Friday. The brushwork is exceedingly sloppy, there’s really no fine detail to speak of, and the color palette is like mud. And yet, the finished shot looks fantastic. Old-school SPFX are sorcery.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bimmi posted:

I’ve seen this painting up close. It looks like it was thrown together at four o’clock on a Friday. The brushwork is exceedingly sloppy, there’s really no fine detail to speak of, and the color palette is like mud. And yet, the finished shot looks fantastic. Old-school SPFX are sorcery.

Digital tools have their place and there's been some amazing work done with them. But, something taking up a physical space, while not perfect, will just feel better than something that's digital, and not really there.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Milo and POTUS posted:

oh no, this is definitely a good thread. I can't fault him for that.

Love this one from hellraiser 2, forgive the garbage quality

Always loved how the cenobites' home turf was one of the matte paintingest-looking places imaginable. Like you simultaneously knew immediately that's what it was but still bought it because it just worked with the surreal vibe of the whole thing.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bimmi posted:

I’ve seen this painting up close. It looks like it was thrown together at four o’clock on a Friday.

Pretty sure everyone on that piece of poo poo had that mentality

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Bimmi posted:

Don’t forget “probably painted on a shower door”. I assume it’s from ILM? They have a whole gallery of old mattes near their cafeteria.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Pretty sure everyone on that piece of poo poo had that mentality

GB2 had a lot of issues, but the effects aren’t one of them.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

nice

i like

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bajor

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
I love these old matte backgrounds, especially the Star Trek ones.

My inability to suspend disbelief during Star Trek kind of ruined my experience, though. I always thought the backgrounds they used were way too idealized (in a sci-fi show? I never.). Where's the backed up traffic on Cardassia as a commuter slowly loses his mind because a truck tried to merge and crashed into a delivery van? 5:00 rush hour on Cardassia Prime has got to be a bitch.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ez8 posted:

I love these old matte backgrounds, especially the Star Trek ones.

My inability to suspend disbelief during Star Trek kind of ruined my experience, though. I always thought the backgrounds they used were way too idealized (in a sci-fi show? I never.). Where's the backed up traffic on Cardassia as a commuter slowly loses his mind because a truck tried to merge and crashed into a delivery van? 5:00 rush hour on Cardassia Prime has got to be a bitch.

You cold blooded son of a bitch! *HONKS!!!!

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
people giving wizard master poo poo when wizard master has a proven track record of good background picture topics is kinda pissing me off

i have an idea for the next topic, not trying to outdo or copy wizard master or anything, it's mr beast thumbnails without mr beast

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i watched an old alistair maclean thriller from the 70s called Bear Island recently and there was this one abandoned u boat pen set that extended into a matte painting that i really liked, sadly the quality of stream was not good, I really wish I could see this scene in HD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
I love the look of Forbidden Planet.