Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I think we need a thread for snacks. I love snacks. Crunchy, soft, sweet, sour, whole, or processed. If I can eat it with almost no preparation between meals then I'm there.

I'll kick this off with my attempt at roasted lentils as a snack.

Ingredients:
- 1/4 lb dry lentils (I used the brown Indian kind)
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt, to taste
- about 1/8 tsp MSG (to taste)
- 8g tomato paste (1/2 tbsp)
Spice mix (makes more than you need):
- 4 morita chiles
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp coriander

Pick through, rinse, then soak the lentils overnight in water with 15g salt per liter and 5g baking soda per liter. Alternatively cook lentils however you like. Cook until just barely under-done; stop when they're still a little mealy and will retain their shape well.

Drain lentils well, then add in the tomato paste and gently mix it in. add in a teaspoon or two whatever spice mix you want, then the oil, msg, and salt.

Spread out onto a parchment-lined baking pan. I put mine in my air fryer at 400 degrees, but in a preheated oven at 400-415 degrees or so would probably work. Bake, taking the lentils out to stir and check for doneness every 3 minutes or so. Mine took around 15-20 minutes but I accidentally cooked them too long so they got a bit burnt. They went very quickly from still a bit chewy to burned so keep an eye out at the end!

Post your favorite snacks, interesting things you find at the store, recipes for them, and whatever else you desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

On the topic of interesting things you'd find in a store, a buddy from Japan brought over some Bokun Habanero and gave it to me, and I love the stuff.

Having potato rings instead of a flat chip makes the snack crunchier. The heat of the rings moderate, but builds. One ring is going to feel like nothing. Two will be noticeable, and three requires a drink.
This a great snack of have with a beer.

Also, the name is a pun and as japanese-to-english puns go - it's a pretty clever IMO. Bokun is basically "tyrant " and he's a tyrant because he's a habaNERO.

Now I'm playing a silly amount to have a box of these shipped overseas.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The spicy guy on the bag looks scary.

I've been mixing up trail mix recently. I do peanuts, roasted hazelnuts, coconut strips, and a bunch of raisins.

Where can I get giant raisins? I know I bought a tub of really huge raisins like half a decade ago, but everything I buy these days is medium-sized at best.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Eeyo posted:

The spicy guy on the bag looks scary.

Wait till you meet his pal Demon King Jolokia. Ghost pepper flavor.