Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ron Rivera is a great coach if you want to go 8 and 8 every year.

Very much John Fox vibes. He'll have another HC gig turning around some dogshit program but won't ever get over the hump because he doesn't know what offense is and he lucked into a football god in Cam Newton once so people thought he was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wilks I feel would have been retained if the Panthers had an established QB but the owners had seen a floundering offense since Cam's shoulder got exploded on a late hit and it makes some sense to try and bring in a modern offensive mind to mold a rookie QB.

Instead we chose Frank Reich who is calling an offensive scheme ten years out of date and paired it with a front office that had just traded away not only our best offensive piece in CMC but then traded the next best in DJ Moore and expected it to pan out by replacing them with mid tier free agents.

But I think that also speaks to the larger point which is that it's unlikely that a team with a functioning offense and top even - half of the league QB is going to fire their HC mid season for performance. In which case - you're likely going to cut bait on a few things including front office staff and get rid of a bunch of veterans on contracts and just embrace the rebuild. I get the argument that a good coach can coach any team, but I can also see the way teams look at an interim and decide their best move would be to just start fresh everywhere.

I just don't understand how coaches can just think all the poo poo they did wrong the last time would work this time around for... reasons. Like Reich. Like is it beyond someone like Reich to sit back and go - "well the QB situation sucked in my tenure in indianapolis but I must have contributed something - let me think what that was" and after a week of soul searching you land on "not a drat thing - lets run it back". Like loving how?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Can we talk about GMs getting fired in here?

Because here’s the 25 year old rookie fitterer traded up for getting stood up by a couple linemen I’ve never heard of

https://twitter.com/keepblitzin/status/1712162476014358876?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

That is some terrible footwork.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Reich is pushing the narrative that he was always planning to hand over play calling duties at some point this year. Whether that's true or not I don't know but it would kind of make some sense to ease a guy into it?

Either way the change from a power running team to a zone blocking one when you're buying a back who came from Philly and the lines built big and strong but not particularly mobile seems dumb as poo poo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

In terms of lovely things I think the giants kinda need to hold the line.

Daboll and Gaints look back but that team is at least another draft and another free agent class away from not being god awful offensively.

poo poo, Carolina too. Part of the problem with the previous regime was the mickey mouse defensive scheme and absolutely no one wanting anything to do with a lame duck coach last year. The middle of the defense is still hot dogshit and the linebackers and depth just about everywhere need an overhaul.

Reich hasn't been great so far but there's a lot that needs to change personnel wise for anyone to succeed with the Panthers. I'm hoping we see some improvements with the play calling duties change.

My gut tells me Reich will stay on regardless of what happens this year but the team needs to show something down the stretch.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Isentropy posted:

Calling out the owner- for Young over Stroud and for meddling - in so many words has to really heat up your seat too, right? And Tepper unlike the Spanoses can definately afford to just get himself a yes man

The team's dysfunctional but I think we'd be in a worse spot if we jettison Reich this year for another head coach given where the team's at everywhere else. They need to just focus on getting the best game day roster they can and see how things look next year. Realistically the trade with chicago was a pyrrhic victory for Carolina. They got the guy they needed, they got the guy they wanted - but in getting him they've cost themselves a chance at immediate success. They're in the poo poo right now, but the team's not going to get better by being on their fourth head coach in two years.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah but, just as much to the point. The giants definitely aren't playing around it. McAdoo was such a weird choice as head coach at the time, did OKish as OC in carolina last year toward the last few games. Managed to dial up some decent run game at least but nothing about the dude ever struck me as a HC.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Benne posted:

Are there more bad OLs, or are there more bad and inexperienced quarterbacks making their OLs look worse?

I always think about the hitch when I'm watching protection. Your guy needs to be at least getting to the top of his drop and his first hitch, that's pretty much going to be your standard for a quick developing route like a slant. If the quarterback is having to move when he should be planting and looking to throw or progress through his reads you're in trouble and someone has blown an assignment, if your QB is getting to the top of his drop, hitches and then panics, it's on the QB and or great secondary play and it's a coverage sack.

This is also a somewhat unusual era for the NFL where there's more young QBs playing ever before and there is a lack of talent at the position overall.

There's probably also a bit of a deep dive that someone who knows more about the college game could go into but from what I've read there's a lot of offensive systems at the collegiate level that are quite successful that do a lot to help out protection and quarterback's by using up tempo play styles from the shotgun and from pistol and using quick drops that scheme and flood guys open quickly that just don't translate to the NFL. That and the best big guy athletes are going to funnel into tight end, defensive end, defensive tackle etc rather than put on 50 pounds and play guard or tackle. There's also just a lot fewer human beings who come in that size and a couple other sports that they get tracked for too, like basketball.

When your starting criteria is to be in the 1% of how humans exist and then you make it a technically, mentally and physically demanding position - you're not going to find a large population who can do it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Howell kind of sucks along with the line sucking. There's only so much suck you can compensate for.

There's no way in hell Rivera thinks he's employed after the season. Dude openly thought he would be done after last year.

Washington should have won today but it didn't help a receiver dropped a catchable ball on a 4th and manageable. Howell will hold the ball until he gets loving levelled too which is big balls but bad for longevity. It's kind of hard to blame Bienemy, or Howell or the line or Rivera.

I've said before Rivera is just a good solid coach who's not elite in any facet. He'll turn around a dogshit joke of a franchise but he's not winning you a superbowl or winning with consistency. He'd be fine to like - go to the Raiders and unfuck them, get them back to being competitive etc but I wouldn't exactly be in a rush to hire him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tbh the chargers should make Moore the HC right now.

Theyre in a lame duck season and it shows.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think Rivera seems like a pretty decent bloke all things considered. He'd probably be good in a booth somewhere.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

LaFleur’s seat has to be getting at least mildly toasty by now, right?

I think Gb are the youngest or 2nd youngest team in the league with Love in his "prove you're an actual QB" year. I guess it depends on how well liked he is by the brass. If they think Loves the problem - he's fine for at least another year, if they think Love is hampered by LaFluer's offense or whatever, he's getting warm and quickly.

Everything I've heard about Love is in the lines of "looks like a, walks like a, talks like a, but isn't" and while he flashed his first two games - it kind of seems like by the time coaches got any kind of film on him they've been able to cause him fits. It made sense to roll for a year with the roster as young as it is but I think they really need to show that they're building to something. If they can get their runningbacks healthy and the defense comes together a little more toward the back end he might be fine.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 30, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

He is also a pampered HS and college QB and what? 23 yr old. Let he who was not a fuckin idiot in their early 20s cast the first pigskin.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Raiders doin the smart thing.

Who they hire will probably be dumb as hell anyway though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shinji2015 posted:

Rivera's next landing spot.

It's been a long time coming. Congrats Raiders fans, there's nothing like the feeling of your idiot HC getting the boot midseason. Rest of the season is gravy now.

So do the Pats snap him back up first thing in the morning?

In the scheme of things bringing Rivera in for two or three years paired with some offensive nerd to take over would probably be not ridiculous. If ever an organization needed a steady hand in the top job for a couple years.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'll take beane back in a heart beat.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

McDermott coaches a lot like Ron Rivera.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think Frank Reich needs to go.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jfc you guys like to make poo poo up. The stupid test was a twitter thing that everyone brought up in every thread to show how smart they were that they didn't view the rumoured test as important.

It meant nothing to the Panthers and to their front office. They were all happy enough with Stroud but felt that Young had the higher upside. It's 9 games into their career and given everything else that's been detailed ad nauseum that Bryce is in a bad situation not playing well in his most recent game.

Its insane to label Bryce a bust and stupid to say that Stroud is some mecha God of quarterbacking at this point in their careers. It's not a zero sum game.

Give it a season. Panthers need to unfuck themselves so badly in about 9 other areas before you even get to Bryce. I mean poo poo everyone was all over Will Levis dick a week ago because he hucked some long ones to Hopkins when he was absolutely hated for months because he committed the crimes of being weird with food and being a buff white dude coming out.

Waaaaay too reactionary over a very small sample size with a whole lot of mitigating factors.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Adam schefter was on the punter jocks show and talked about Tepper being known for being impatient and said changes at HC if Carolina doesn't turn it around would not be surprising.

Interesting he'd be so specific and so open about it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

Yes but I don't think he ever did anything that would be directly at odds with their success as a coach a la Tepper.

Certainly didn't step in and make them take a different QB than the entire staff wanted.

This needs to stop being canonised. It's a rumour based on McCown saying "if you come to Carolina we'll shoot hoops" and then the next day 100% of the press being about how dicks out we were for Bryce but because Tepper cheer leaded it, it's become the absolute truth.

Bryce isn't the problem.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

At this point the only thing on the team that works are special teams and the defense. Evero has kept the team in games with a broken roster. The offensive side needs wholesale change. At the moment Reich is basically the NFL equivalent of this post:

quote:

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!""
"OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well.""

Everything is old and slow and not a personnel fit and everything the coaching staff says about offense is that "we just need to keep at it". No, no you don't. You need to pull the plug but turning around an NFL franchise is like turning around a battleship and you can't do that mid season. The seasons over already. We're just taking our medicine and hoping no one takes a career ender.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Didn't McDermott break a 20 year playoff drought or something crazy?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The problem with the 11 personnel in Carolina is its outdated as gently caress and requires a speed receiver and a primary read who can do something.

Mingo and thielen on the flanks are neither of those and DJ chark on the field for 12 snaps takes that speed option away for about 28 snaps a game at the moment.

You can use flex motion and bunch formations to generate picks and scheme guys into leverage hitting the line already at speed. It's how you "scheme guys open" in the jerk off football parlance.

Instead we line up and run static routes with slow old guys and rookie possession receivers.

I dont give a gently caress about Bryce not altering protection calls as a rookie. That's why you have a center with 5 years experience you extended for 3 years.

You can't protect your way out of 0 players being open and you can't scheme your way out of a guard wiffing someone in the A gap or your franchise left tackle getting knocked rear end first into your Qb.

Guys are losing 1 on 1 match ups far too often for this to be a factor in a 2002 tier offense without the personnel to run it.

Its the dumbest loving poo poo I've ever seen in a panthers offense.

loving Mike Shula who didn't know what a hurry up offense at least used motion and clustered receivers when Benjamin died.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Him and Fitterer both deserve to go. Every single step has been a wrong one.

Get rid of them. Find a coach who can call an offense designed in the last 20 years and give your rookie QB a running game and a loving receiver.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/11/17/panthers-frank-reich-job-security-nfl-insider-staff/

quote:

Frank Reich has talked to people on his staff over the last few weeks about his unknown job security,” Wolfe said. “And I thought it was interesting to hear Reich say he wouldn’t be able to live with himself if he didn’t do everything in his power and in the team’s best interest over the last eight games.

Welp. That aint good

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Im hoping we can fall rear end backwards into a situation that works because rn we're so hosed. So properly, badly hosed.

It'll be 3 years before we repair this poo poo if we detonated everything right now.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Panthers just need to fire Reich and see if Brown can actually design and call an offense. Let Staley be in charge for the last 7 games.

Just rip the bandaid off.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Eleven week Reich has a nice ring to it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

At least we saw a little downhill running today from Sanders and surprise surprise letting your giant run blocking made offensive line go man on man and just drive guys works better than a counter trapping zone system.

Still way too little, way too late but at least if we fire Reich and close out the year as a running team the games will be over faster.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Chargers with Billy 5 Aces in charge even with McDaneils as OC is instantly a superbowl contender.

That roster is way too good to be this poor in terms of record and outcome.

In terms of the Panthers finding a next head coach, I still think that while the Texans had issues finding a guy and "settling" on Culley into Lovie etc there's enough poo poo in that org at the time you can't really consider carolina the same.

Theres usually only what, an average of 6 openings every year? And every year there's a few guys who are on their fourth or fifth years of being interviewed and overlooked for whatever reason you wanted to assign.

Would Eric Bienemy turn down the panthers job for example? I don't think so.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 21, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

You fire your head coach mid season when he's actively harming the development of the players you're going to keep. Take Matt Rhule last year - the team could not loving stand the guy toward the end. Guys flat out didn't seem to want to be on the field and he treated them like poo poo.

Urban was kicking dudes.

Josh McDaniels is half ruining the roster, everyones pissed off.

Makes sense to just jettison those guys.

Rivera is beloved by just about all his players and tbh, I've never heard anyone from his time in Carolina have a bad thing to say about him. He's also not going to go outside the org and piss and moan about ownership tying a hand behind his back etc. The guy will stand tall at the prow of the sinking ship but won't drown the crew on board with him out of spite. It makes a lot of sense to hang on to him until the end tbh. Some coaches - gently caress no, but Rivera is pretty well respected from what I understand as being a very solid dude.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

It’d make sense for like the chargers than the panthers but I’m not really sold on both. Mays I think made the point that we’ve already seen what a 3-4 year Belichick rebuild looks like—it’s this

also my phone considers one Belichick spelled correctly and the other Belichick spelled incorrectly. and both of these most recent Belichicks…

A team like the chargers makes more sense for Belichick because it's a more complete team. They arguably have a window to make a serious push and their biggest problem has been situational coaching and defense. I could see Belichick going to the chargers and doing what Kubiak did for the Broncos, wasn't necessarily there to build a roster or coach up a team, but there to get them past the poo poo Fox wasn't able to.

I wouldn't necessarily want him in Carolina - but mainly because of his age and how long he's been doing the thing. Having him come in would probably put Bryce in the best situation - even if he brought McDaniels in as OC and he'd use the defensive tools and special teams tools we've developed effectively but I'd seriously worry about his ability to evaluate talent now if he wanted to be the GM as well. I don't really like the idea of bringing in a football president that people kick around every now and then. We saw it when Holmgren was hired in that kind of role with the Browns and it has that two captains of the ship feel to me.

Panthers if Bryce can be something are a 2 year project minimuim. 3 to 5 probably if not. Will he be there in 5 years? The guys 72 before opening day next year. Is he going to be there at 77?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

He's probably got a cushy booth gig if he wants one. Experienced, well liked by the league etc.

He's the kind of dude I can see not seeing being a DC as a demotion necessarily but it wouldn't shock me to see him go somewhere like the Raiders as a head coach.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Staley because it'll be fun to watch him go nuts.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The running game has been dire. Its not a shock to me either. sucks, because I like him as a guy but poo poo had to change.

I wonder if the team pivots hard back to a man gap power scheme immediately for the offense. Changing a horse mid race is dumb and hard but it can't possibly be worse.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I have lots of longer thoughts here on tepper and Reich and what happened that I'll write out tonight after work.

But I think even Reich not being able to advocate his position re: Stroud v Young is the rumours are true is also a big part of the problem.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Timby posted:

No, they took that down in 2020, I think.

One of the other panthers posters can correct me, but iirc they put the statue out and like a year later, his piggery was brought to light, and they removed it. It was only up for like 14 months or something

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Was interesting hearing Pat McAfee's take on it all today. Not necessarily for any analysis of Reich's dealings with Carolina, but more from what he had to say about Reich's time in indy and the culture on the team and how bad it went how quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Harbaugh and Billy 5 Aces opening as bookie's favourites for the panthers job. lol.