Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Stefanski was a Vikings lifer for 10ish years before Cleveland. Dude also sucked as a coordinator, he just says enough corporate jargan that people were impressed with him

He may not be the coach that Cleveland needs, he is the coach that Jimmy Haslam deserves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Woozie66 posted:

I mean, he's still got a winning record. He's far and away the best coach the city has had since Marty. Even BB had a significantly worse record in town.

Ches has hated Stefanski since mid 2020.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Woozie66 posted:

Oh I know haha. He's never been happy.

He may get his wish anyway since Haslam is an idiot.

Having a lame duck head coach next year, due to contract length and not impatience is going to be uncharted territory for us.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Benne posted:

BetOnline has new odds on "next coach fired." Some ... interesting names at the top.

code:
Matt Eberflus 9/4
Frank Reich 5/2
Ron Rivera 5/1
Bill Belichick 7/1
Mike Vrabel 10/1
Brandon Staley 12/1
Todd Bowles 12/1
Matt LaFleur 18/1
Dennis Allen 40/1
Kevin O'Connell 40/1
Kevin Stefanski 40/1

Browns are 5-3????

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Probably Magic posted:

I mean, from a superficial perspective, it makes sense what with the Titans trending downwards for the second straight year in a row, but it ignores a lot of context with the roster and such.

Didn't the Titans get a new GM???

Maybe people are assuming new GM wants "his guy" as coach, so any reason to git rid of Vraebel???

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Please remove Stefanski from any list.

He survives this year no matter what after that win

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Woozie66 posted:

The Steelers offense is atrocious in literally every way. I am still amazed they trot everyone out with no changes.

They have a good rear end running back and under utilize him.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Could Rivera succeed as a coordinator or something? Players do seem to love him.

12 straight seasons as a head coach could make it hard for him to accept a Coordinator role.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

I can tell you with absolute certainty nobody in pittsburgh cares about their college football team at university of pittsburgh.

They dont but they also want the next Dan Marino

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Phobeste posted:

Those prime steelers teams, the guys that got them there were guys he coached up. Just like you can't blame all the downsides of the roster on the GM due to his control, you can't lay all the cred for those rosters at the GM's feet because Tomlin and his staff are involved in the personnel selection and responsible for developing them.

I think a fair criticism of Tomlin as a head coach is that his teams seemed underprepared for big moments and sputtered out when it mattered but to the people drawing comparisons with Andy Reid that's like exactly what people used to say about him as well lol. Tomlin is a great but not perfect coach and there's a good chance that a change of scenery might do for him what it did for Reid.

Preferably his change of scenery is in the NFC.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Backup/unvaccinated?????

The gently caress?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

There's not a coach in the NFL whose firing hasn't been called for several times in this thread.

Stefanski was getting called several times by goons.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Woozie66 posted:

It happened constantly! Even in the 2020 year! And this year! Just wild stuff.

Is it you or wilderthanmild that just loving hates Stefanski. I can't remember.

11 WINS TWICE IN 4 YEARS!!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Stefanski had terminal galaxy brain that got exposed hard in 21. The hell he did to get over it this year I have no idea. Haven't watched.

Oh poo poo it was you.

Sorry wilderthanmild

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I like the idea of Watson losing his job to Joe Flacco who I find it pretty easy to root for.

Unless we can find a sucker team that isnt going to happen.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Ehh the Broncos cut bait on Russ, I think if Stafanski wants to do the same with Watson this season is buying him the clout to do it.

Its doable with a post june 1st trade. If that happens its 18 mil in dead money in 2024 and 45 mil in dead money in 2025.

I wonder if we can do a Brock Osweiller style salary dump trade.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Not sure that's right friend.

Y'all are stuck with him for a while.

E: NVM, I thought you were talking about cutting him.

Cutting him is impossible but a post june 1st trade is painful but doable. I just can't think of a team that could absorb that, plus i think he has a no trade clause anyway.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Hizawk posted:

Dan Cambell actually wanted to take over the Lions because he wanted to bring them to relevance.

I'd say Harbaugh is off the same stuff.

Weren't there rumors of him wanting out of SF and to be traded to Cleveland?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Kalli posted:

Remembering Romeo Crennel, two time interim head coach and owner of the record for oldest person to ever be the HC for a game.

First double digit win Browns Head Coach since Billy 5 aces too!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Usually, the Browns would have some interviews, but things could really drag. Hell, when everyone was assuming McDaniels was going a shoe in, he didn't visit till February. That was like a 4 day visit, and nothing happened.

Seahawks have their guys in mind or are formulating who they even are. Patience, like Benne, said most of the top guys are in the playoffs.

Chip Kelly had 2 interviews including one that lasted a full day and then he took the Eagles job.

Which hiring cycle was the mcdaniels stuff? I vauguely remember his name getting thrown around but never anything firm?? Was it 2013 or 2014?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

IRCC it was 2020

What??? I don't think he even interviewed here in 2020. He declined it.

Edit: he was the last of 8 interviews.

Apparently he interviewed in 2014 and 2009 as well.

So we chose Eric Mangini and Muke Pettine over him.

Flikken fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 13, 2024

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Cleveland Browns y’all

e: wrong thread, but sentiment still applies

We're not in this thread for the 4th season in a row!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

We are hosed on the Watson contract unless someone trades for him. And even that will be painful.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Docjowles posted:

Those are all fair statements about the Browns offense. But is changing position coaches really going to make your backup RBs and TEs into above average starters? Those dudes were all late draft picks and cheap free agents for a reason. I’d have been thrilled to make the playoffs with the B squad, how many teams manage that after losing both their QB and RB? But Haslam gonna Haslam.

Also they lost to the Texans mostly because their top defense got poo poo on and Flacco returned to earth. Not sure how a new TE coach addresses that.

Maybe Stub and the TE guy wanted out to follow AVP?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

seiferguy posted:

What's the track record for interim HCs becoming full time? Freddie Kitchens failed hard. It just doesn't happen much.

As previously mentioned Freddie was interim OC.

Marty Schottenheimer was an interim HC for Cleveland and then went to the playoffs 4 years in a row.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Pimpcasso posted:

I would like a coach please

It would help if they bring an offensive line with them

Callahan might bring his dad with him

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Woozie66 posted:

2025 OSU HC

Buckeyes fans are delusional.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Docjowles posted:

If he did anything football related it it would be to somehow eminent domain the Bills (to himself), because he is absolutely petty enough to still be mad about not getting to buy them

He tried to buy the Colts twice, The Cowboys and the Patriots as well.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

That’s true to a point, still lovely to not let a guy interview for an equivalent position, and fire him weeks after when a lot of those positions have been filled

Not only that, it's stupid if there is offset language in the contract.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1753205045779112084?t=FnIVpE3cvOxP2LW9epLtJA&s=19

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Black Sunshine posted:

Someone tell me that Kingsbury was just a dumpster fire as a head coach and he'll be a competent OC

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1753230049707200832?t=cezhBN0_srcOmm7q-LBMWg&s=19

LMAO

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

I think I hear Hue Jacksons music...

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

I remember when Hue Jackson was THE hot offensive coordinator HC prospect. The Ben Johnson of the year.

Me too.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Think he's pulling a Todd Haley, taking the Browns OC figuring he'd get made head coach after Hue gets fired?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Gatts posted:

I’m concerned. I dont want to mess with OLine and Defense. Is Bill leaving?

Already gone.

On his sons staff

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Docjowles posted:

Yeah sorry Bill bounced to the Titans :rip: Maybe they won’t have like the worst OL in the league this year

Is anyone even left of the Browns line coaches? Pats just poached one too

I don't think so. Plus we have a new RB and TE coach.

So umm blocking is going to be interesting this year.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

fartknocker posted:

Knowing how to fondle Aaron Rodgers’ balls just how he likes is a skill that will get you several NFL jobs.

Greatest draft video ever.

“Fullback-“
“OH NO!”

Makes up a big part of Roger Vick’s Wikipedia page :laugh:

And he was the 2nd Fullback to go in the first round that year. The 80's drafts were wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1761838019244331256

I believe Desai was the last "big name" coach still out there (we already knew that Belichick/Vrabel/Carroll were taking the year off).

With nearly every staff finalized, that about closes the book on the 2023/24 coaching carousel. I'll be closing this thread soon, but just wanted a couple more days so people can get their final thoughts in -- or unless there's some crazy news, like, Bill joining his son on the Washington staff or whatever.

Once again, thanks to everyone who makes this project exciting every year, and keeps me coming back. I truly appreciate the kind words. For now, here's my quick and dirty watchlist for the 2024 hot seat, which is obviously going to change a lot depending on how their offseasons go.

Early 2024 watch, plus One Big Question

Robert Saleh -- Running out of time and excuses. Does his savior QB still have the juice?

Sean McDermott -- Have the Bills gone as far as they could with him?

Doug Pederson -- Late collapse won't be soon forgotten. How much is he really getting out of this roster?

Mike McCarthy -- How the hell has this not happened already?

Nick Sirianni -- Team openly quit on him. Almost a miracle he's getting one more shot. Does he have any answers left?

Brian Daboll -- Reports of staff turmoil revealed a potentially shaky foundation. One-year wonder?

Matt Eberflus -- Bears showed signs of life late. Will that matter if they're starting over at QB again?

Dennis Allen -- Fake Kneelgate left a bad taste on the season. Does the locker room still trust him?

Kevin Stefanski hasn't been extended yet and is heading into a lame duck year. It is Jimmy Haslam so it bears keeping an eye on.