Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Kalli posted:

I'm saying the odds of Saleh succeeding at this point are astronomically low.

Like say, the Jets end up where they were last year, 7-10 due to Zach Wilson sucking poo poo and they decide to keep him. He'll be going into year 4 hoping for a rehabbing Rodgers or <mystery box> on a team down a bunch of draft capital and huge cap problems unless Rodgers retires

Yes more teams should be the Steelers and weather the storm, but the odds of this working out are bad bad bad. Not Saleh's fault, but still should just go be a good coordinator for a few years and get a 2nd shot somewhere else.

Unless a clearly superior coaching candidate wants to inherit that sort of mess, then why can Saleh? Are you selling off Sauce & co and tanking? If not, then why dump the coach that has worked well on that side of the ball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

shyduck posted:

We're reaching for the half-opened package of ramen and the mystery unlabeled can in the back of the cupboard

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Benne posted:

That entire article reeks of "hey guys, I talk to coaches!" Nearly every entry is just some anonymous source gassing up his buddies.

They did nail Steichen, Ryans, and Gannon last year, so the top of the list is worth paying attention to. Everything else may as well be a PR release.

After reading the AFCE thread, this part felt like some North Korea style propaganda:

quote:

Ken Dorsey, offensive coordinator, Bills

After learning more about Dorsey, the most impressive part of his candidacy is the myriad ways in which he can win on offense. The Bills are one of the most versatile teams in football schematically, and Dorsey, a former quarterback at the University of Miami and with both the 49ers and Browns, has designed a dizzying system for opponents to try to match up against. Dorsey is not tied to one system. The assumption is often that the Bills are a chuck-it offense, but some of Dorsey’s best work, according to those familiar with his system, has come in the intricacies of how he designs the running game.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Obviously there aren't enough black coaches or GMs but Ryans got a job pretty quickly, no? I think there is something to EB not interviewing well.

I hadn't heard him speak until recently, and someone shared a cool clip (I think in the AFCE thread?) of him gushing over the skills and awareness of a linebacker on the upcoming opponent's roster.

Bieniemy has a sublime voice, loved hearing him wax poetic on that player (even if it's a dirty player). And I wonder if assholes in front offices hear him speak in an interview and let a combination of institutional racism & stereotyping about his type of voice/personality not being "a leader of men on the gridiron" prejudice them into looking elsewhere.

Ah, here it is:

https://twitter.com/JennaCottrell/status/1704940475331891279

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Kalli posted:

I don't think any other team's fans are allowed to complain about their offensive lines. oh my god.

Or we can all complain about OL deficiencies, but take solace in acknowledging "hey, least it's not the Giants!".

Edit: I wasn't checking the detailed stats, ELEVEN SACKS ALLOWED?!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Tbh until this post, I would have assumed he was at most italian

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

If Bill really wants the record, and is self-aware enough to recognize that the clock is ticking and the win rate is slowing down, then he could come out with a statement of "I'm over 70, the mind is willing but the flesh is a bit weak, I'll coach til I die but will bring on an AGM who'll take on more responsibility over time" or something.

Media will run with it regardless of what we know is actually going on, and history would laud him for taking that track instead of bitterly hanging on to both gigs while the team spiraled.

Obv everything above is hypothetically possible but realistically improbable. Ah well.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

80% of that was basically just signing a tackle, guard and DL to replace the tackle, guard and DL they lost in FA.

I think Payton taking that job was idiotic and arrogant but the roster is objectively bad and it’s bad in a way that a single offseason of spending couldn’t possible fix.

I mean, taking the job for the shitload of money is fine.

Promptly issuing public call-outs of the guy you replaced, now that's the idiotic arrogance that blessed us with some fall schadenfreude.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

I feel like it's a little bold to assume Payton will be there in 2024 as well

Unless Sean organizes a unionization movement at a Wal-Mart, he'll be back for Year 2 at minimum.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Benne posted:

Ben McAdoo, goofy TV dad

The dad after the show takes a dark turn in Season 3

New season of Dekker looking good

Edit: gently caress, well, at least I'm in good company

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

kalensc posted:

Unless Sean organizes a unionization movement at a Wal-Mart, he'll be back for Year 2 at minimum.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Mark giving Josh a bazooka joe for Halloween but inside is a toaster beef comic with the punchline "you're fired".

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Mystic Stylez posted:

I can't believe Connor Stalions is Ehud

lmao

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

I had to tutor someone and last checked the scores when the Falcons and Bucs took the lead late in the 4th.

I thought that was a bummer for Dobbs & the Vikes, and an unfortunate result for Stroud after a fantastic performance.

And then I saw this thread had a bunch of new posts...

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Docjowles posted:

I lol'd. But also, yeah.

This reminds me of the weekly FIRE DOM CAPERS posts from Packers goons of years past

Other memorables:

Bruce Arians
Adam Gase
Matt Patricia
Dean Pees
Adam Gase

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

The hand gesture and disbelief is a pretty good impersonation of

Actually my new conspiracy theory is that's Tepper in the jags gif, top right corner.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

a neat cape posted:

I am completely done with both my NFL team's head coach and college team's head coach. It's a weird feeling.

I feel bad for you & Chargers fans like the lady who went viral a few weeks ago.

Especially in a game like that where both teams were really fun! Tons of going for it on 4th & Goal, creative plays to get WRs open or pull blockers for runs, it was a game where both teams would have earned a W.

Arizona and Chicago would probably be open to trading their win for the Chargers loss and a day with Boltman.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I had never heard of this guy because I don't know anything about old football players but :lmao: https://youtu.be/9BaPMMYekkA?si=6MNGurBZKPndwY1a

Lmao that blocked kick.

For 20 yards I thought "huh I guess he caught it during the block itself?" assuming the old footage made it blurry.

Then "oh, it's still bouncing like 40 goddamn yards away" and then he catches it on the sprint with barely a crouching motion!

:drat:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

What's the deal with Arthur Smith? This is an honest question, besides the gifs and the quote about Bijan contributing via decoy schemes, I'm not very knowledgeable about the Falcons this year.

When Benne writes a one sentence snark quip for a coach's blurb though, I know something is up.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Cool, thanks!

also lol

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Forrest on Fire posted:

The Night of Short Drives

When Tepper cuts Frank loose, thread title pls

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Benne posted:

They also fired the DBs coach, so heads are rolling today.

I won't be surprised if ownership pushed for this. Ron was extremely loyal to JDR and stood by him through multiple controversies.

Magic is in tune with the fanbase

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Shrimpy posted:

The Jets are in such an awkward spot, because they pretty much have to fire Joe Douglas at the end of this year, but any new GM they bring on will be stuck with Saleh/Hackett until Rodgers retires or they have to find a coach who is cool with Hackett staying onboard.

Sounds like it buys the new GM a few free years at the outset, the ol "I didn't hire that coach / pick that QB" gambit

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

uh oh, he finally overheard someone making a point guard joke

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Now this is a man who knows how to incite a mutiny!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I feel like he's trying even if he keeps loving up? I prefer that to whatever Woody Johnson is doing.

This is lunacy.

Tepper isn't some "aw shucks, I tried my best, golly gee, I'll do better next time" guy. He's a billionaire rear end in a top hat who's going to keep loving up in order to protect his ego & his investment in Bryce.

Woody is a billionaire rear end in a top hat who signs cheques and gives his hires a few years to prove their worth.

Why would you prefer the loudmouth idiot over the quiet fool? If the grass over there looks more vibrant it's cause they painted it in Scheele's green.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Benne posted:

Yeah, Marvin is basicaly just an ambassador these days. IIRC he's doing a lot of behind-the-scenes work in mentoring Black coaches and helping them move up the ladder, which is a good use of your time if you're not interested in returning to the sidelines.

drat, that's loving awesome, Marv rules.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

https://x.com/DMRussini/status/1731064857271701548?s=20

UNC Grad, asheville native coming in to Carolina and fixing things would be a movie script if not for the fact the owner is so lovely that people are texting him the warning from Alien.

Tepper gonna complain about reverse tampering

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

From the Athletic article on the Panthers coaching:

quote:

Reich, Fitterer and the offensive coaches decided the priority before Young’s first season was preparing him to call plays in the huddle for the first time and giving him time to absorb a playbook that blended Reich’s system with wide zone concepts Brown bought from the Los Angeles Rams. Any tweaks or changes the Panthers wanted to make to Young’s mechanics would wait until the offseason.

quote:

League sources said Tepper struggled with the decision to fire Reich. But the combination of Young’s difficulty understanding Reich’s offense, specifically the reads, timing and ball placement, as well as Young’s lack of protection, convinced the owner the organization wasn’t helping its quarterback, but ruining him.

Put aside your personal assessment of Bryce as a QB, both pre-draft and now, for just a moment. Replace his name in those paragraphs with "1st-round rookie QB".

How the gently caress could anyone down at Panthers HQ believe this approach would be successful while naming the rookie the starting QB?

Letting flawed mechanics fester for a whole season? Knowingly putting a guy who's new to calling plays and new to the offensive scheme behind an OL that was specifically assembled for an entirely different blocking scheme? And then refusing to switch to Dalton once it became apparent that starting the rookie was only reinforcing bad habits re: footwork and providing very little in terms of 'useful experience running a well-installed offense'?

:stonk:

(aww, is the 'you dumbass' smilie gone?)

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Need a new season of Ballers or Playmakers or whatever, where the owner's wife has conspired to coerce the rookie QB so he plays like poo poo and gives the owner a fatal coronary.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

I nominate the 2009 NFC West. Spagnuolo, Whisenhunt, Jim Mora, Singletary.

fartknocker posted:

2002 NFC North: Mike Sherman, Mike Tice, Dick Jauron, and Marty Mornhinweg.

Gonna be tough to beat these quartets in this game of Immaculate poo poo

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

More outright mediocre I guess, but 1998 NFCE had Vince Tobin, Chan Gailey, Jim Fassel, Ray Rhodes, and Norv. Narrow window to be post Gibbs-1 & Parcells and pre-Reid.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Nervous posted:

Perhaps...so how do you propose he go about stealing a rich old white man's money?

By cashing his paycheck

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Docjowles posted:

I do slightly respect that Arthur took a different path than most billionaire failsons. He went into a field that is actually very hard and requires an unbelievable amount of work. And had some success, at the coach and coordinator level. Rather than just joining the board of FedEx at 25 and doing nothing of consequence for the rest of his life.

Unfortunately it turns out he is a terrible head coach.

Hopefully when the revolution comes, Arthur will be in charge of commanding the bourgeoisie.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Mike Tomlin is cool and nice and will coach the Steelers for many more years with some great seasons and some disappointing seasons and overall a very successful tenure.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

a neat cape posted:

The Raiders didn't stick with the guy that actually got them into the playoffs after the Gruden fiasco, what makes you think they'll stick with Pierce

Davante spoke to Davis the day they fired McDaniels yeah? I have to imagine that if he likes Pierce then that's going to factor in.

Mark may be a very pale imitation of his father, but I'd rank him among the owners who seem more likely to learn from past mistakes (Bisaccia vs Josh) than owners like Tepper and Haslem.

Well, maybe not learn anything concrete, but simply not repeating the gently caress-up would be a win.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

wandler20 posted:

Seventeen straight seasons without a losing season. SEVENTEEN!

He rules. Just a huge bummer that they lost both those games versus Arizona and New England (although reading a few select Pats fans melt down because they beat the Steelers was amusing).

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

He might!

They can clinch with a Titans win and Broncos win next week.

They wouldn't even need to beat the Ravens, they just need specific teams to be in a multi-way tie-breaker to clinch at 9-8.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

The more appropriate question imo is "Why would he want people to believe he's interested in that job?".

Harbaugh's putting the screws to Spanos (and anyone else vying for his services) in early negotiations imo.

"Aw poo poo, it's Mark Davis, he's totally ready to offer Jim $120M/8yr & additional authority over personnel."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Simplex posted:

So you've got Andy Reid in KC, Payton in Denver, Chargers supposedly all in on a Belichick or Harbaugh level hire. There's no way you can stay pat with your okayish interim if you're Vegas

You don't dismiss the viable candidacy of a solid interim coach for such a nothing reason.

If Harbaugh interviews and seems committed (unlike the Minnesota interview a year or two ago) then sure, he's a proven success several times over.

But if he isn't keen on the Raiders then there is no legitimate headline-making hire, so... gauge Pierce on his merits and interview chops and plan for the future, rather than believing you need to win the off-season coaching hire showdown?