Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Forrest on Fire posted:

Jonathan Gannon is such an unserious coach. The Cardinals are the organization y'all are claiming the Packers are. They charge players for on site lunches lmao

It's a rough deal to hire a coach and then ask him to go 1-16. You're not really going to know anything about him before he gets his hands on Maye or Williams heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Douglas has hosed up both QB and Offensive line year after year here ntm got horribly ripped off in the Rodgers trade. He 100% deserves to be fired. It's not even a question.

There is no way Woody Johnson would be able to hire anyone better though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

I would keep both Douglas and Saleh. The roster as a whole is 10000% better than what was inherited from the Maccagnan/Gase era. It’s not even arguable. I think they have the best roster in the division outside of QB.

Yeah they whiffed on the drafted QB. So did everyone else. Trevor is the only in that class worth a drat they didn’t have the opportunity to take him. They took a swing at an all-time great QB and it took a blood curse for that to fail.

Douglas hosed up both QB and OL every year he's been here. That is friable.

That being said, I have no faith in them hiring anyone better.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

3 years of no playoffs is a tough sell for a new coach to keep their job, but Saleh might be able to by blaming the QB room

Unless there is a no brainer coaching hire available, there is no way the Jets will be able to find the next great coordinator for their next coach. The jets aren't well coached but this is a roster construction issue with a GM who has royally hosed up QB and OL for as long as he's been here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

He’s a defensive head coach. Their defense since he took over went from like 31st in the league to top 3 minimum. How can you pretend his coaching isn’t responsible?

It's players, not scheme. Their talent is way better than when they took over so they are better. I think their scheme is pretty mediocre.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Raku posted:

sounds like they have a good GM then!

Not good enough since he's hosed up the two most important positions. QB and OL.

People are gonna say look how much talent they have on this team as they win 7 games again and Douglas' W-L record as GM becomes even more pathetic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This is the THIRD YEAR Douglas has been caught without a backup QB who can play at all. He deserves to be fired for that alone. The Jets aren't going to do anything because they will use the Rodgers injury as an excuse but objectively he's a complete failure as a GM no matter how much he's improved the roster. The results are what they are. The Jets have had a bottom 3 in the league QB situation literally EVERY SINGLE YEAR he's been the GM. GTFO.

Diva Cupcake posted:

The scheme is obviously working for the players they have. Quinnen was underwhelming and you bitched about him being drafted until Saleh unlocked him. Guys like JFM, and Quincy Williams, and DJ Reed were either waiver pickups or mid-tier FA that he turned into top-flight talent. Bryce Huff. Michael Carter II. These aren't guys with pedigree but he gets massive production out of. That's good coaching.

Would you prefer schematic defensive super genius Brandon Staley?

No I wouldn't prefer the worst coach in the league to Salah.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 12, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

wandler20 posted:

I've got some bad news about the backup QB market. There isn't even 32 guys who can be effective starters.

If you're the GM of an NFL team and you're making 6 million a year it's your job to figure the gently caress out how not to have the worst QB play in the league every year of your tenure and if you royally fail at that, I'm allowed to want you fired.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

wandler20 posted:

I mean, it's not his fault Rodgers Achilles popped. He made the best move he possibly could have and was unlucky with the results.

Yeah man you can make excuses and reasons for why it's gone the way it's gone every year but I don't give a poo poo. I'm tired of watching the worst QB play in the league.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Play posted:

What about their scheme do you consider mediocre?

They get killed on screens and draws because it's too predicable and they play too much cover 2 but any scheme is going to look good with the amount of talent they have on the DL right now. It's not like they are outsmarting anyone.... their guys are winning their 1 on 1s.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

rjmccall posted:

Look, it’s impossible for NYC sports fans to ever say than anything is okay. The Yankees could win 140 games and sweep the World Series and they would be bitching about the bullpen having a 3.x ERA. If they had any power, they would fire the OC the first team the team had to punt, fire the HC the second time, and burn the stadium to the ground if it happened again. There is absolutely no point in engaging with these guys.

Yeah man, the jets, who haven't made the playoffs in 13 loving years and haven't had a home playoff game in over 20 years are doing just great and their fans should stop being spoiled and complaining about it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's not because it's predictable; that's literally how quarters coverage works. It's exploitable through underneath routes because assuming 4 rushers, you only have 3 linebackers or 2 linebackers and a safety to cover a large swatch of field close to the LOS. You do this to take away the deep game, which they've been wildly successful at.

It works against Josh Allen particularly because he's not wired to play in a manner to beat it.

Yeah I don't disagree with anything you said, they match up really well against the Bills. But when they get against an offense that is a worse matchup and can get them underneath, they haven't adjusted well enough in the time Saleh has been here and they have been really hurt. The Lions pantsed them like that last year and the Patriots do it every time they play. Maybe they will adjust this year but I haven't seen it yet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

rjmccall posted:

I’m not saying that everything is perfect in Jetsland, but I am saying that this attitude that the Jets defense is secretly really bad and everyone involved should be fired is exactly what drives me crazy about sports fans around here. Just a total inability to appreciate anything that’s going well.

I didn't say it's bad. I said it doesn't matter if it's good if the same guy who built it hosed up both QB and OL without which you can't win games.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s pretty funny to me that this is the year where the Jets decision making processes actually seemed good and smart and then!

And now dudes are gonna get fired for it. But yeah it’s a results business and if you don’t get results you gotta go eventually.

I have been calling out their incompetent management of both the OL and the QB room as a whole for the entire offseason.

Also, you're likely wrong and no one will get fired.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rogue0071 posted:

As far as mistakes in the QB room go I think drafting Wilson at 2 is a way bigger one than getting Rodgers and him popping his Achilles 4 snaps into the season.

That is the gently caress up that forced them to get Rodgers. It's the root of everything.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

In retrospect the correct move was Penei Sewell I guess.

Gotta get the evaluation right with a QB and they hosed it up. Who knows if they talked themselves into Wilson because they needed a QB or if they got something else wrong. But then they also compounded it by pretty clearly knowing that he wasn't ready to start right away and still starting him and not having a viable backup when he wasn't playing well. It's just fuckup on top of gently caress up on top of gently caress up. That is how to get into this position.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

EmbryoSteve posted:

Tbh whiffing on a qb so hard at #2 overall would be the end of most HC/GM s

It would've been justified to fire douglas based on that for sure. I could live with them not doing that because he has improved the overall talent on the team which you cant deny and I also have no faith in them being able to hire someone any better. But at this point the continued complete inability to have even a non embarrassing OL and having BY FAR the worst QB play in the league every year he's been the GM is just not something that should not be acceptable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mcmagic posted:

They get killed on screens and draws because it's too predicable and they play too much cover 2 but any scheme is going to look good with the amount of talent they have on the DL right now. It's not like they are outsmarting anyone.... their guys are winning their 1 on 1s.

bumping this.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Joe Douglas needs to be fired today.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It's a sunk cost at this point. They wasted two years on Wilson and now one year on Rodgers. You wanna gamble ANOTHER year on a 40 year old QB coming off an achilles?

They are going to do it even if it's dumb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Being worse than the Jets' offense in this time period is impressive.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/doug_clawson/status/1706147860125716480

This is something that a good GM allows to happen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Is that entirely fair, though? The plan was quite obviously "Aaron Rodgers plays and we'll see what Wilson can do after a year or two of learning from him", I don't think you can ding the GM for failing to plan for Rodgers' career ending after four snaps.

Wilson was such complete dogshit last year that they had a mutiny on the team and started the corpse of Joe Flacco to end the season and then said in the media how much Wilson needed a redshirt year or 2 this year so of course it made perfect sense for him to be the backup to a 40 year old QB without having another QB on the roster who can go in and not embarrass himself.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Benne posted:

My conspiracy is that Aaron didn't want a good QB2 to threaten him

He got hurt 3 weeks ago. There are still no non embarrassing QB options here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bumhead posted:

Peyton isn’t on the hot seat but he deserves all the poo poo in the world for following up running his mouth about Hackett with.. this

Nothing he said about Hackett wasn't true.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Robert Saleh is a dogshit 12-25 coach who thought hiring the biggest joke in the NFL as his OC was a good idea even before Aaron Rodgers' luggage was there for Hackett to carry. He should be fired today simply for his embarrassing staff alone.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I wish Payton was running the Jets despite what happened yesterday.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Didn’t Payton almost hire Rex and went the boring route with Vance instead?

What I’m saying is that the NFL is better with Rex in the league.

There is no way a Rex defense gives up 70 points to anyone.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LMFAO they put Luke Getsy on a head coaching list

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Luke Getsy. Gotta buy into that Nate Hackett coaching tree if you have the chance.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paint Crop Pro posted:

Hubris thy name is Sean Payton and good gently caress you

Watch him get Caleb Williams lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Maybe don't bury Sean yet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

going for it on 4th down there was the correct call.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Bears might really get the no 1 and no 2 picks lol

Williams and MHJ at the end of the rainbow sure is something.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He's without a doubt the top candidate

Disagree with this. Ben Johnson is the top candidate. EB has gotten like 19 interviews and no jobs..... You have to think there is a reason for that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

a neat cape posted:

I hate this mf staley

Obviously there aren't enough black coaches or GMs but Ryans got a job pretty quickly, no? I think there is something to EB not interviewing well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mega64 posted:

I'd wager a nonzero number of franchises would give Matt loving Patricia another HC job over Bienemy.

That doesn't mean that EB would be a good coach though. I think there is definitely some reason why he hasn't gotten a job other than race. Other minority jobs have gotten looks in the last 2 cycles at least.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

a neat cape posted:

Even if it's a race thing, I still wonder why guys like Vance Joseph, Demeco Ryan's, Robert Saleh, and Anthony Lynn got jobs before Bienemy

Because they interviewed better than he did for whatever reason!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Daboll can be the Jets' OC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Daboll isn't getting fired.