Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Was there a recent update that causes my content cache to spike to its supposed max of 20GB in the space of 2-3 worlds over the past week? It never happened before and now I have to reset and clear the cache every two hours or so, or ghost people against my will by crashing.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

School Nickname posted:

Was there a recent update that causes my content cache to spike to its supposed max of 20GB in the space of 2-3 worlds over the past week? It never happened before and now I have to reset and clear the cache every two hours or so, or ghost people against my will by crashing.

Use avatar proximity rendering if you aren't already. I use nearest ten avatar within a ten meter radius, that cuts down a lot.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Use avatar proximity rendering if you aren't already. I use nearest ten avatar within a ten meter radius, that cuts down a lot.
Why isn't that turned on by default honestly?
The avatar limiter sure, but the rendering distance seems silly not to have on.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Every now and then i get a silly that i want to upload a new world, but an issue i run into consistently is lighting and baking lights in order to optimise.

i own Bakery for unity (Perhaps unity 2022 will have better tools for that too?) but what are some good resources for world building? so far my most successworld is like, a little box with a media player and a mirror, aka the condensed vrchat experience

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Frobbe posted:

Every now and then i get a silly that i want to upload a new world, but an issue i run into consistently is lighting and baking lights in order to optimise.

i own Bakery for unity (Perhaps unity 2022 will have better tools for that too?) but what are some good resources for world building? so far my most successworld is like, a little box with a media player and a mirror, aka the condensed vrchat experience

Optimization-wise, Light probes are your friend, used sparingly. Just put them in the corners of your world, and then put one any place where you expect to be a focus of your room. Just make sure you're setting anything that isn't expected to move or be picked up to Static too so it gets batched.

If you're feeling saucy and have image editing software, learn to edit your textures together and atlas them on your materials. There's also a debug menu you can enable on the game camera that'll tell you how many batch calls are being made on the rendered screen so you can hunt down the big offenders in your world.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there any good guides for getting started on world creation? It's something I keep telling myself I'll get around to but I instead chase silly avatar edits instead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxyclean posted:

Is there any good guides for getting started on world creation? It's something I keep telling myself I'll get around to but I instead chase silly avatar edits instead.

:negative:

(First page, three posts down under the OP will get you started).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone having problems with the latest update?

I noticed after entering portals, I no longer need to hit okay/proceed or whatever it was after downloading a world, but I also had like 4 instances where loading glitched out or something, I got "failed to join instance" and dumped into that "an error has happened" purgatory.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

(First page, three posts down under the OP will get you started).
Ty, apologies for missing it, as well as the note in the OP that points to it. :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I've definitely ended up in the error world about tenfold times more since the 2022 beta started. Only really saw it once beforehand and now it's every other night it seems.

I should check the canny.

Oh yeah, new patch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjjfEo8mtE8

Kazy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 5, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I know first-hand there is a problem in the client not being able to re-authorize the session if you disconnect and retry to verify your login. It'll fail and dump you in the Error Void every time.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Oxyclean posted:

I noticed after entering portals, I no longer need to hit okay/proceed or whatever it was after downloading a world, but I also had like 4 instances where loading glitched out or something, I got "failed to join instance" and dumped into that "an error has happened" purgatory.

Ty, apologies for missing it, as well as the note in the OP that points to it. :v:

yeah in the latest release, ending up in purgatory seems a tad more common than before. usually going to your homeworld and then reconnecting to the instance you were trying to go to fixes it for me.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, the loading hall no longer gives the option of "Go" and I crash a lot to SteamVR after VRChat hangs on "Initializing World" or just when a world is loading after hanging for for 2 minutes. Gave up on VRChat after experiencing it five times tonight.

Anyway, try out the Heist worlds by Fins. They're loving amazing.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 7, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Don't forget to get your world and/or avatar entries in for the Spookality jam today if you haven't already! :ghost:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Checked out some spookality worlds the other night - mostly stuck with the hangout category cause it was just me and one friend and I think we lacked the nerves to do the more scary stuff with just us.

"Hotel. Now Hiring." Was one from the spooky category we did check out. Would suggest checking it out if you want something spooky/creepy.

"Area of the Dead" though was a really fun concept - it's basically a House of the Dead style light gun game where players take the role of the various zombies while one person plays the light gun. You'll need a good few people to make it work.

"A Normal Home" is a fun idea - it's a hangout room where anomalies occasionally crop up, like in "I'm on Observation Duty." - that said, I feel like it could be a bit better executed by either hiding the fact it's supposed to be what it is, and feeling a bit more like a proper hangout/place you want to chill and chat? (There does appear to be a "We're on observation duty" world in the spooky category that I assume is more of an actual game.)

"Self Checkout Machine OF HORRORǃ" is goofy and infuriating. I'm curious if it can actually be won.

"Size Shibuya" is just a far worse version of Little Big City and seems to just be a map someone slapped some halloween stuff on for the jam.

"Four Sisters Lake" is....what. It feels very much like someone's personal hangout that was slapped together from prefabs, but they threw a bunch of OC lore dumps or something and there's giant anime ladies for some reason. it's almost worth gawking for that pure unfiltered like, self-indulgent creation? Like, it's not good, but I sort of dig that this kind of thing is enabled. Reminds me of the earlier internet.

"DSVR Halloween House" is a valiant effort that is kind of cute in it's roughness.

A lot of the other maps in the hangout section sounded/looked like someone just slapped some halloween assets on their existing worlds.

"Tenebrous II" (spooky category) is a fairly neat exploration/puzzle thing, though one section was really tedious. I think it's limited to 4 players. There's also obviously Tenebrous I, but it's not included in the jam cause it was made earlier in the year.

Will need to find some time and courage to go explore more in the scary category. That said, the quality of some of the worlds in hangout category makes me afraid that it's going to be less that worlds are genuinely scary, and more that people just make janky/unpleasant jump scares.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 23, 2023

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Last night I went to a haunted house with live actors playing the ghosts, it was amazing! They stayed in character but with little changes based on people's avatars, bios, etc. I think they even had people listening in line (they only let three people in at a time and my gf and I were waiting for over an hour to get in) for little tidbits of conversation they could use

It was a ton of fun and I have already applied to be a ghost next year

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
We're on Observation Duty is alright. Works as described, and has a good variety of anomalies. You can even go explore the cabin as well as watch from cameras, but the only means to Report seems to be at the terminal screen.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We're on Observation Duty is alright. Works as described, and has a good variety of anomalies. You can even go explore the cabin as well as watch from cameras, but the only means to Report seems to be at the terminal screen.
Tried this one last night as well, seems neat, but it seems like it might be easy to cheese? Or at least, I wasnt sure if you need to be specific in where you report like in the game.

Also tried "Backspace" - it describes itself as a "another bad stupid garbage horror world․" and I think the entry disclaimer points out there are very many cheap jump scares. And there very much is. There's a LOT of pretty lame pop up screamers that attach to the camera....but it was still kind of an interesting experience? Definitely one you want to do with a group to take a bit of the edge off of the annoy jumps and collectively be annoyed.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I'm gonna dig out a spookality 2021 winner and recommend people give https://vrchat.com/home/world/wrld_67f9337d-c83a-463b-b168-0e9d5c6606d4 a look! great take on the usual chill world theme.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oxyclean posted:

"Self Checkout Machine OF HORRORǃ" is goofy and infuriating. I'm curious if it can actually be won.

I tried last night with two friends, we got to 8 items scanned and on the 9th one everything in the bagging area exploded in different directions and the whole transaction went back to zero so I'm going to say no

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

https://twitter.com/BeyondVRC/status/1716604975017501037

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1xGejjPiXM

Seems Terrors of Nowhere is finally out. Honestly didn't know it wasn't yet since my friends have been playtesting it for months and months :v: I swear one of them probably has hundreds of hours in it.

(I'm terrible at this game so I did not play much)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Would it be cool to promote creators we know/like here?

A friend of mine does a lot of avatar work and commissions are his primary income these days.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

So I talked about how I've been taking improv classes in vrc for the last few months, well tonight I've been picked to be on stage for a live (virtual) show at Projekt HorrorCon if you would like to come watch. The show starts at 6:00pm est

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Would it be cool to promote creators we know/like here?

A friend of mine does a lot of avatar work and commissions are his primary income these days.

I don't see why not.

Couple of Halloween things!

Made this Rocky Horror "costume" in about 2 hours the night of the VRC showing I went to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL6ThEMZhRQ

And my main Halloween costune, Kazy the Stampede.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD6l6qg6xaQ

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Does VR Chat have any games that are decent quality and not sucky?

I want to play VR Chat but no chatting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChocNitty posted:

Does VR Chat have any games that are decent quality and not sucky?

I want to play VR Chat but no chatting.

Yes, but most are multiplayer-focused. The only ones that aren't, off the top of my head, are the more "walking sim" experiences like Organism. Which is really good, and worth experiencing just for the scenery.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

VRtebrae is amazing, but do not bother with the Quest version. It's clear they put a lot of work into making it actually run, but it's just too limited

There's an amazing moment that made me scream right after the room with the things that only appear in your camera, there's a jumpscare if you backtrack to the first room

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My friend makes custom avatars and you can also buy "base" models to modify at your leisure.

https://pretzelbot.gumroad.com/

They come with a lot of built-in sliders, emotes and morphs.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you needed any further proof the Quest 1 was dead, this was in the latest VRChat patch notes;

VRChat Patch Notes posted:

The Meta Quest 1 will be unable to launch VRChat starting with the next update. On this patch, you'll see a note warning you of this upcoming change. So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Also, Impostors are live in Open Beta! Hopefully people will start using them and I won't have to see so many robots/fallbacks now.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Is there a good world that you can go fishing in? Got a friend who gets motion sick easy, so looking for some relaxed activities we can do together.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Is there a good world that you can go fishing in? Got a friend who gets motion sick easy, so looking for some relaxed activities we can do together.
Gonna piggyback off of this:
Is there any kind of carnival worlds with side games to play?

I booted up Resonite cause a buddy told me to check it out. You have to download a mod loader so you can turn off motion blur :v:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

A Cup of Ramen posted:

I seem to recall Kon Lake Fishing being quite decent
https://vrchat.com/home/world/wrld_580d4963-7b4c-4a0e-b7fe-390e100f5841

Croccers posted:

Gonna piggyback off of this:
Is there any kind of carnival worlds with side games to play?

I booted up Resonite cause a buddy told me to check it out. You have to download a mod loader so you can turn off motion blur :v:

One that's decentish is https://vrchat.com/home/world/wrld_6f55a286-b851-4d3e-8933-e7a31138edd7 Pokopealand! the horror ride is quite good. but just search amusement park and you'll find a bunch, both good and bad but exploration is what makes vrchat fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Cup of Ramen posted:

You want the Udon Bird Sanctuary, for a very chill experience feeding various birds bread and fruit.

Also Happy Hill Dog Park.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A Cup of Ramen posted:

"VR Catfishing" is a bit on the sillier side, but might be fun/worth checking out.

Kazy posted:

Also, Impostors are live in Open Beta! Hopefully people will start using them and I won't have to see so many robots/fallbacks now.
Will be nice to not have to worry about uploading quest versions of avatars.

But apparently beta has broken a way people use scale constraints to make stuff visible on the head from first person? Hoping they can iron that out before pushing it out.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Oxyclean posted:

"VR Catfishing" is a bit on the sillier side, but might be fun/worth checking out.

Will be nice to not have to worry about uploading quest versions of avatars.

But apparently beta has broken a way people use scale constraints to make stuff visible on the head from first person? Hoping they can iron that out before pushing it out.

yeah it isn't intentionally broken, so there's a lot of talk on how to make it a standardised thing!

another really dangerous world is this one https://vrchat.com/home/world/wrld_15f7034a-b074-4812-bfcb-317eaa2741de which really, really does everything it can to steal all your time. it's fruit tetris.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Frobbe posted:

yeah it isn't intentionally broken, so there's a lot of talk on how to make it a standardised thing!

another really dangerous world is this one https://vrchat.com/home/world/wrld_15f7034a-b074-4812-bfcb-317eaa2741de which really, really does everything it can to steal all your time. it's fruit tetris.

There's already several worlds with Suika game adaptations. The one I've seen in is "What A Melon Game".

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Creator Economy is out! in beta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgcAvzNVmRo

Just subscriptions for now, with a roadmap releasing nearish the 10th anniversary (Jan 18)

Kazy fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 23, 2023

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I was a live model last night

I have newfound respect for live models irl, I picked my pose on a whim and then I had to stick to it for an hour and everything hurt by the end. It was especially hard to keep still when people started colour picking off my face

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 16, 2023

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I tried drawing in vrchat and it’s hard. I kept going out into the wrong axis and it looked weird.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That world uses paintbrush physics so you don't make a mark unless your brush is touching the canvas, and the shape of your brushstroke is determined by how hard you press and the direction you move. You can use different shaped brushes and different viscosity paint while also messing with digital painting techniques like directly modifying alpha values, it's pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flavor.flv posted:

I was a live model last night

I have newfound respect for live models irl, I picked my pose on a whim and then I had to stick to it for an hour and everything hurt by the end. It was especially hard to keep still when people started colour picking off my face

If your model's not too large performance-wise, grab the Ragdoll prefab and apply it to a version of your avatar. You can set down a copy ofyour model as a statue with it.

edit: You can get it from Booth, if you're interested.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 16, 2023