Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I showed my 11 year old son how to use torrents because he wanted to play *POPULAR GAME* with mods. He'd already bought the game for his video game console but it would cost him like $50 to re-purchase it on PC.

I was very careful to show him how to use public sites as briefly as possible and recommended VPN use to him.

It was way more serious in my mind than any sex talk ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
All media should be free! Remember, if you could download a car...would you?

Yes. Yes we would

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

You should probably isolate his malware infected machine from the network before you’re trying to figure out how to buy crypto to unlock your family photos.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Sophy Wackles posted:

You should probably isolate his malware infected machine from the network before you’re trying to figure out how to buy crypto to unlock your family photos.

His PC took forever to start up and while I didn't find any malware on his PC, it looked like he'd installed ever Zoomer piece of software on God's green earth.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I showed my 11 year old son how to use torrents because he wanted to play *POPULAR GAME* with mods. He'd already bought the game for his video game console but it would cost him like $50 to re-purchase it on PC.

I was very careful to show him how to use public sites as briefly as possible and recommended VPN use to him.

It was way more serious in my mind than any sex talk ever was.

How the gently caress is a kid going to afford a three year subscription to Nord VPN with 4 months free unless he also slings cocaine on the dark market? Didn't quite think this one through did you pal.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

It's 2023, op, pirating is cool, but make sure your children don't look uncool doing it.
I recommend a cyber hook or digital parrot so the other leechers don't laugh at them.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 5, 2023

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

It's a slippery slope OP. It won't be long before your son is jamming with the console cowboys in cyberspace.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Teach your kids which download link is the real one for the torrent and which ones are malicious ads

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

man, i wish ebooks / pdfs / whatever were plentiful when i was in college because holy gently caress, i would have downloaded everything and handed out copies to everybody.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Better to have the talk now before an abstinence group comes to your child's school to tell them that if they watch a shaky recording of a theater screen, they're watching with everyone else who's ever viewed that video, and that makes Jesus sad

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Careful, OP. My co-workers kid got de-rezzed after hitting some nasty corpo blackICE and has to live on a Soylent diet now.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

please, don't copy that floppy

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Teach him to download a car so he can get away from you and your bad influence.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

My child is a cool jock so I don’t talk to them about computers and other nerd poo poo

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

My child is a cool jock so I don’t talk to them about computers and other nerd poo poo

computers are cool as hell you absolute maroon

exhibit A:

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

I told my kid this and he beat me so brutally I poo poo my pants

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

That isn’t a girl asking for the dong pic you dumb bastard. It’s probably your shop teacher Mr Shlodge.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd like to request "The Talk" from anyone here. TIA.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

computers are cool as hell you absolute maroon

exhibit A:

My expression as well around computers

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I am sad to say there are some actors in this beautiful world who act with malicious purpose and who cannot be trusted.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
My 12 year old explaining to my confused mom that he prefers Adobe premiere 2018 because it's easier to reset the trial by editing a config file so he doesn't have to pay with the casual detachment of someone explaining a bus route and her coming to terms with the fact that she lacks even the basic technical acumen to make moral judgements on a world that already considers her dead for all of her relevance to it

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
trying to teach a kid about warez rgs and tracker music but they are begging to go back to their math homework

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
show em goatse so they can learn from you

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Archer666 posted:

My expression as well around computers

Fuckin lmao, glad I'm not the only one that saw that magic

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Edmund Sparkler posted:

His PC took forever to start up and while I didn't find any malware on his PC, it looked like he'd installed ever Zoomer piece of software on God's green earth.

please describe Zoomer software to me

the loathsome millennial

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Teach your kids which download link is the real one for the torrent and which ones are malicious ads

Sometimes you have to just let Darwin take it's course.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My 12 year old explaining to my confused mom that he prefers Adobe premiere 2018 because it's easier to reset the trial by editing a config file so he doesn't have to pay with the casual detachment of someone explaining a bus route and her coming to terms with the fact that she lacks even the basic technical acumen to make moral judgements on a world that already considers her dead for all of her relevance to it

I like this kid!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I learned it by watching you.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

redshirt posted:

I'd like to request "The Talk" from anyone here. TIA.

Piracy is cool as hell but there are dangerous viruses, so make sure you’re together for a few weeks before raw dogging software.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Beartaco posted:

the loathsome millennial

Epic games launcher

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Beartaco posted:

the loathsome millennial

Roblox

It's like Minecraft but it steals your parents' credit card number

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Of course running an antivirus scan makes a computer malware free, since all viruses are detected every time. And if any weren't detected, they'd have obvious symptoms like a window popping up saying "Haha Pwned".

That's why it's a great idea to download and run pirate software. Well done teaching your kid about computer security.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BigBadSteve posted:

Of course running an antivirus scan makes a computer malware free, since all viruses are detected every time. And if any weren't detected, they'd have obvious symptoms like a window popping up saying "Haha Pwned".

That's why it's a great idea to download and run pirate software. Well done teaching your kid about computer security.

NORDVPN DOES NOTHING!!!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Harvey Mantaco posted:

good kid

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Edmund Sparkler posted:

private sites exist for a reason if you really want to go down this rabbit hole

The flip side is just teaching your kids the value of money and that they don't actually need to own every game, let alone play a game on one system that they own on another?

For me, "the talk" will be:

* don't pirate poo poo
* don't go to websites that look weird or give you weird popups
* if you think you need to do either of those things, talk to me first plz
* if you think you got something weird on your computer, you're 100% not in trouble, but please let me know right away so I can inspect it.

This is all hypothetical, my oldest kid is 6.5 and the only computer they have is a Moto S that's got the PBS apps on it and not much else.

BigBadSteve posted:

:shrug: you can get your computer compromised trying to access legitimate software and following the wrong google link, and you can use pirated software without ever being compromised. I was fairly heavily in that world from about 1994-2005, so, saw the twilight of the modem/BBS era give way to topsites turning from multinode dialup poo poo into FTPs. I have no idea what the current paradigms are, except that generally release groups and topsites still exist and if you've got access to some kind of main line then I don't think you're getting compromised that way. If you're just googling APPNAME TORRENT and then not paying attention to where it's coming from, yea, seems risky.

I am not condoning any of this horse poo poo, but also I did a lot of it for a long time and literally the only thing that ever owned a PC (and then my entire network, except for my own PC that was hardened enough, lol) was when a roommate was using absolutely sketch streaming sites to watch TV shows. I asked her to please not do that and just use usenet like a normal person (that was a normal person thing to do, at that time, when I wore an onion on my belt...)

edit: also, having your kid completely gently caress up a home network and cause a big SNAFU probably does teach them a lesson. When I was 13 or so, I bent a pin on a Pentium chip trying to reseat it, destroying the family computer. The lesson I learned was that I no longer had a computer I could play games on, until I saved up like $400 and bought some AMD thing (1997ish)

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Beartaco posted:

the loathsome millennial

He's into art so idk, it was a bunch of software that wasn't photoshop so my old rear end didn't recognize it.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

I told my kid this and he beat me so brutally I poo poo my pants

It's for the best. Even though computers are cool now, it's never been more dangerous for the young cool jock.
You either get addicted to social media and become an unironic Dom Mazzeti or eventually someone will black pill you that if you haven't boned at least 20 instagram models by the time you can drive your life is over, your lats are too small, and your jawline isn't right for your ears making you hideous.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Buy him a shirt OP

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing is free. Show him your internet bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If an unknown pirate offers you rum, candy or to pet their parrot, never accept. Never go on their galleon without someone knowing where you aaarrrrrrr