Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zeluth posted:

Nothing is free. Show him your internet bill.

Now show him how as long as he doesn't grab over a terabyte a month the bill doesn't change at all, so go hog wild! It's already paid for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Congrats on teaching your kid how to download malware.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Zeluth posted:

Nothing is free. Show him your internet bill.

I use my neighbor's wifi.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This kid is growing up tiktok.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I downloaded a pirate parrot.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i think talking to the kids about police is the new talk

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

kntfkr posted:

i think talking to the kids about police is the new talk

I'll tell my son that ACAB is the way, all day, every day.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I'd like to think I could teach my kid how to get gud at stealing poo poo online but last time I did it I got a letter from my ISP yelling at me for seeding DOOM II and to knock it off so I don't think I am very good at it anymore lol

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Does anyone have any tips on teaching your kid the internet does not exist or at least has nothing of interest?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I show mine SA threads. If that doesn't scare him off, nothing will.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my dad taught me about piracy before it was online. we had an amiga 1000 and there was, very briefly, a store where you could rent amiga games and other software. my dad would rent games and copy them using a program called "marauder ii"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u__Ueos_Lpk

later on when i was a teenager and starting to go online, he decided that this was "wrong" and he was setting a bad example and stopped pirating and tried to yell at me about going on irc for warez. but it was too late and he knew it

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Earwicker posted:

my dad taught me about piracy before it was online. we had an amiga 1000 and there was, very briefly, a store where you could rent amiga games and other software. my dad would rent games and copy them using a program called "marauder ii"

later on when i was a teenager and starting to go online, he decided that this was "wrong" and he was setting a bad example and stopped pirating and tried to yell at me about going on irc for warez. but it was too late and he knew it

Did you hit him with the, "I thought you were cool, dad."

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Earwicker posted:

gently caress yeah the amiga was so good for piracy. my dad worked on offshore oil rigs when i was but a wee lad and him and his workmates used to take their games in and make copies for everyone. i had milk crates full of copied amiga floppies by the end of its lifespan.

usually you'd get a photocopy of the manual or a list of the potential anti piracy words the game asks for so their anti piracy stuff was useless as well. i do remember one of my real games coming with some weird dark red paper with black text that was meant to be hard to photocopy or something though.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Whatever your thoughts on piracy, I think it's bad to mislead children through hysterical information, like making them believe that anything whatsoever that is a pirated or cracked or copyright violating thing is going to make a dragon pop out of their computer and kill them and send their whole family to jail and poo poo like that.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Bula Vinaka posted:

Whatever your thoughts on piracy, I think it's bad to mislead children through hysterical information, like making them believe that anything whatsoever that is a pirated or cracked or copyright violating thing is going to make a dragon pop out of their computer and kill them and send their whole family to jail and poo poo like that.

its good actually

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
No need to mislead when you can distract them with entirely true ideas like "the greetz screen is going to be way more fun than the actual game, why don't you try making one?"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That moment when you realize your Dad was a dirty Scraper!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
One thing we have to do in class now is teach our students how to properly attribute the pictures they use in their presentations and reports. Lots (Almost all) of them just grab a picture online and paste it into their document without any attribution at all. We have to teach them that "Image source: Google" just doesn't cut it, and they have to find out where the image actually comes from.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If I'm being judged against professional image citation standards and I don't get access to stock image repos, image wire services, or journal repositories I'm using Google images then plugging the sonofabitch into TinEye and citing all 16 pages of URLs.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

zedprime posted:

Does anyone have any tips on teaching your kid the internet does not exist or at least has nothing of interest?

Probably tell them you post on a dead and gay website.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Probably tell them you post on a dead and gay website.

Kids??

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

so if you teach your kid how to pirate right does that make them really cool these days?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dick Fontaine posted:

so if you teach your kid how to pirate right does that make them really cool these days?
You're not cool until your parents take your phone and you hack your smart fridge to get back in Discord.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Dick Fontaine posted:

DivX copies of Requiem for a Dream unfortunately do not quite have the same cachet as they once did

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Genesplicer posted:

One thing we have to do in class now is teach our students how to properly attribute the pictures they use in their presentations and reports. Lots (Almost all) of them just grab a picture online and paste it into their document without any attribution at all. We have to teach them that "Image source: Google" just doesn't cut it, and they have to find out where the image actually comes from.

This is kind of funny considering that as soon as you get into the workplace people are just pirating stuff off Google Image Search all day every day.
Even on the 'professionally crafted" PowerPoint decks.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

~Coxy posted:

This is kind of funny considering that as soon as you get into the workplace people are just pirating stuff off Google Image Search all day every day.
Even on the 'professionally crafted" PowerPoint decks.

You're crazy if you think I am going to stop what I am doing for three hours so my boss can get over here and approve this purchase of a stock image of some leaves. The preview's resolution is fine and I already have photoshop and indesign to fix it, I wouldn't need the stock if I didn't have image editing programs already. What did they think was going to happen. I have photos on stock sites and I hope people are out there stealing my poo poo, I wasn't ever going to make real money from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea i havent worked in the corporate world for a few years but when i did i made a lot of decks and gave a lot of presentations and at no point ever did anyone ask me "hey where did you get that image". it never even occurred to me that anyone might care. everybody uses all kinds of random poo poo from gis.