Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I have to admit: If I heard Diamonds from Sierra Leone (Remix) by Kanye West out of context and didn't know who it was, I'd say it's a catchy song with poignant lyrics. Too bad about the whole, uh, Hitler thing.

Komojo fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I remember back in the days of Rick deez(nuts lol), he said dexter Hollands voice sounded like his underwear had been dipped in liquid nitrogen while he was wearing them.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I remember back in the days of Rick deez(nuts lol), he said dexter Hollands voice sounded like his underwear had been dipped in liquid nitrogen while he was wearing them.

"I guess it aint easy doin' nuthin at AWWWWAAAAARGH"

https://youtu.be/GfBr7O8vWNA?si=EcD1upREq9hECunj

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

YeahTubaMike posted:

:hmmyes:

edit:

The only things I know about Pearl Jam are that they made a big effort to fight against Ticketmaster's monopoly (good), "Do the Evolution" (good), and "Last Kiss" (very, very bad). None of those are reasons to hate them imho, so I'd love to know what makes them hateable in case I've missed something.

I strongly supported their ‘gently caress Ticketmaster’ crusade and I’ve also heard Vedder is a decent dude, but the way he sings, holding one note forever(eeeeeeeeeevenfloooooowwww, daugggggggghttttttterrrr) is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, plus their guitar work sounds generically sludgy to my ears.

I made it a point not to say they sucked, as I know a lot of people like them, I’m just not one of them.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

JnnyThndrs posted:

I strongly supported their ‘gently caress Ticketmaster’ crusade and I’ve also heard Vedder is a decent dude, but the way he sings, holding one note forever(eeeeeeeeeevenfloooooowwww, daugggggggghttttttterrrr) is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, plus their guitar work sounds generically sludgy to my ears.

I made it a point not to say they sucked, as I know a lot of people like them, I’m just not one of them.

Yeah, I'm for sure not a fan but their discography is deep enough to have a couple tracks that click for me. I actually really like Eddie's vocals on "Elderly Woman..." and it helps a lot that the song is blissfully free of pentatonic dad-rock guitar licks. "Do the Evolution" is a fun stylistic departure too, and the video was loving dope for its time.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Revins posted:

yeah I'm pretty torn on incubus, they had a bunch of good songs across science, make yourself, and morning view then I think the original bassist left and they kind of fell off hard creatively after that

SCIENCE and Morning View are good and pretty interesting albums overall with a couple cringe songs on there that foreshadowed their eventual plunge.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

ok I get the sentiment that Offspring aren't good. but worse than blink 182?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Call Your Grandma posted:

Pretty fly for a white guy is an impressively bad song

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

You didn't even address the question

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
My feeling is on their later work yes they're worse but smash (not a great album) is probably better than and blink 182 release

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Spies, Sparks, High Speed, We Never Change

...From Coldplay's first album. Now of course Coldplay is a four letter word. I think the worst song I've ever heard in my entire life was a Chris Martin song a few years ago. It sounded like if South Park had done a fake Coldplay song to mock them, but it was a real song on the radio.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

Hammu-rob-i posted:

Anybody got recs for Sisters of Mercy? Corrosion is the poo poo but the 80's reek is just behind stage with them from where I'm standing

Late to the party, but try "Lucretia My Reflection."

I don't know whether it got much airplay back in the day; I only recall hearing "This Corrosion" a lot. Plus, I had conflated them with Shriekback ("Nemesis" getting airplay) for reasons that must have made sense to my middle-school-aged brain. Decades later, I liked the title of Caitlin R Kiernan's short-story collection Two Worlds and In Between, and "Lucretia My Reflection" turned out to be the source.

Something about the opening bass line is compelling enough that I can use that song for a palate cleanser after some interruption has stopped me from focusing on a project. Only drawback is that YouTube always wants to segue into "Mother Russia" afterward, and that is just not a good song.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Travis Barker kicks them up a notch but I would consider Blink 182 an overall bad band with a couple good songs, which makes them better than The Offspring yes.

e: The Offspring have one good song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxtmQDCyLE8

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Bodyholes posted:

Spies, Sparks, High Speed, We Never Change

...From Coldplay's first album. Now of course Coldplay is a four letter word. I think the worst song I've ever heard in my entire life was a Chris Martin song a few years ago. It sounded like if South Park had done a fake Coldplay song to mock them, but it was a real song on the radio.

It's called "getting gooped"

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Komojo posted:

I have to admit: If I heard Diamonds from Sierra Leone (Remix) by Kanye West out of context and didn't know who it was, I'd say it's a catchy song with poignant lyrics. Too bad about the whole, uh, Hitler thing.

please dont try to tell the thread you think kanye west's music is bad

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
got one for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwm4VcBFWI

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

cumpantry posted:

The thread title says "bands that suck"
Kanye sucks

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

you are tripping.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tj2zJ2Wvg
The worst song by the worst band

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

cumpantry posted:

Only the best musicians make it to such levels of commercial success.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Most overrated, absolutely

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Paradise City is way worse.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

~Coxy posted:

Paradise City is way worse.

What an awful band, they even made this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGtgO65vMLM

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Oh we're doing GNR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbUC-UaAxE

:colbert: two guitar solos. Two. :colbert:

also a layup for the Boomers itt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X_ViIPA-Gc

:stare: & :colbert:

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 16, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

Oh we're doing GNR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbUC-UaAxE

:colbert: two guitar solos. Two. :colbert:

also a layup for the Boomers itt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X_ViIPA-Gc

:stare: & :colbert:

two of the worst loving videos that came out when I was 13.
Just awful

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
the outro to november rain is your reward for sitting through the rest of the boring loving song

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
The only good thing that came from Guns n Roses were the Mega Man X5 mavericks.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Dammit gives them a wide margin alone.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

emSparkly posted:

The only good thing that came from Guns n Roses were the Mega Man X5 mavericks.

Duff McWhalen!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
My political awakening was a Guns and Roses song.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

For great songs by a terrible human being I nominate Ted Nugent’s entire catalog.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Szyznyk posted:

For great songs by a terrible human being I nominate Ted Nugent’s entire catalog.

Oh man, hard disagree there. I don't think he does anything musically that you couldn't get from a dozen other artists (Molly Hatchet, Montrose, Foghat, etc) who aren't openly racist pedophiles.

But in the interest of fairness and disclosure, I also celebrate Rick James's entire catalogue and he was a top-tier piece of poo poo, so take everything with a grain of salt.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

no that song's bad. he gets his resolution right away so there's basically no tension

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Szyznyk posted:

now this would be a thread i wouldnt think twice to see kanye west in

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Hammu-rob-i posted:

Anybody got recs for Sisters of Mercy? Corrosion is the poo poo but the 80's reek is just behind stage with them from where I'm standing

They have four pretty distinct periods: their pre-album days, then each of their three studio albums, which all sound pretty different from each other.

Pre-album: Alice, Heartland, Body Electric
First and Last and Always: Nine While Nine, No Time To Cry, Marian
Floodland: Most peoples' favourite. I think it sucks, but This Corrosion and Lucretia are the two big ones.
Vision Thing: Bad in a different way, can't even name a popular highlight though

I think with First and Last and Always they somehow manage to make the 80s sound work for them and come across as organic, while with Floodland it's a similar sound being just a couple of years later, but pushed to 11 with Steinman producing and it goes over the top into bombastic 80s schlock for me (like it seems to do for you) instead of a naturalistic 80s piece, if that makes sense.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 16, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

two of the worst loving videos that came out when I was 13.

November Rain is an amazing song and it came out right when my aunt died when I was like 8 or so and it was my first experience with death and the video hit me really hard.

Barring that, it's still really good.

GnR had some good poo poo. And Slash is still my favorite guitarist to this day. I honestly think the Sweet Child o' Mine solo is the best major band rock solo...... ever.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

drat those castanets rule

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Xotl posted:

SoM stuff

Well put, although Floodland is a guilty pleasure of mine. Vision Thing’s title track and Detonation Boulevard are kinda OK, to be charitable, but their early singles and Reptile House EP are the poo poo and I’ll fight anyone who says otherwise. Or at least dance really oddly in front of a fog machine.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Here is Slash doing the solo on an acoustic, which if any guitar player knows is quite a bit more difficult. First time I've heard this.

It's so good. I hate the random super heavy metal poo poo that is how many notes you can play in a second. Talented? Absolutely no doubt. But Slash has soul. A good bluesy aspect to it. The literal foundation of rock. When I learned guitar, all of my teachers started with the blues. :)

timestamped to his solo with whoever this dude is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j6SQl6-F_Y&t=233s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Here is Slash doing the solo on an acoustic, which if any guitar player knows is quite a bit more difficult. First time I've heard this.

It's so good. I hate the random super heavy metal poo poo that is how many notes you can play in a second. Talented? Absolutely no doubt. But Slash has soul. A good bluesy aspect to it. The literal foundation of rock. When I learned guitar, all of my teachers started with the blues. :)

timestamped to his solo with whoever this dude is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j6SQl6-F_Y&t=233s

Slash was the "Star in the reasonably priced car" on Top Gear a long time ago, dude's got fascinating stories. His dad did art for album covers and his mom was a costume designer for David Bowie (she designed the Thin White Duke outfit) along with groups like the Pointer Sisters, Slash said that it wasn't weird as a kid to wake up and have breakfast with famous musicians who had stopped by the house. He grew up on soul and blues music, and it definitely shows.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 17, 2023