Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is Rancid so cal punk? I always loved them, since they were half of Operation Ivy which I also loved.

certainly a song like Sidekick suggests they're on the correct side of capital or whatever your issue with Offspring is

It's more a general thing with a lot of late 80s/early 90s US punk where the self-determination of hardcore had kind of curdled into bootstappy libertarian sentiment and didacticism. I wouldn't call them right-wing or pro-capitalist or anything, but there's an element of victim blaming to some of their songs that feels unempathetic to me. But, more crucially, that wave of punk does nothing for me, but probably because the rich-kid skaters who would film themselves loving with homeless people I knew all loved that stuff and it's been tainted by association.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Saalkin posted:

Lots of wrong and bad opinions about The Offspring.

They own.

:hmmyes:

edit:

JnnyThndrs posted:

I hate Pearl Jam with every fiber of my being, Vedder’s style of singing is just horrible, but they knocked it out of the loving park with ‘Do the Evolution’. Great song, even better video.

The only things I know about Pearl Jam are that they made a big effort to fight against Ticketmaster's monopoly (good), "Do the Evolution" (good), and "Last Kiss" (very, very bad). None of those are reasons to hate them imho, so I'd love to know what makes them hateable in case I've missed something.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

YeahTubaMike posted:

:hmmyes:

edit:

The only things I know about Pearl Jam are that they made a big effort to fight against Ticketmaster's monopoly (good), "Do the Evolution" (good), and "Last Kiss" (very, very bad). None of those are reasons to hate them imho, so I'd love to know what makes them hateable in case I've missed something.

Can't stand Vedders voice either, but "Rear View Mirror" absolutely slaps. Apparently the band don't like it, which is a ringing endorsement IMO.

A friend encouraged me to revisit Ten recently, and it's okay. I just don't like the shell-necklace and stadium rock side of grunge that much. I might have felt different if I listened to it on release.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 12, 2023

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

https://youtu.be/LX-7AnOx22k?si=BNwXLhivufW-ktJL

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

redshirt posted:

*Puts on giant suit
There's a TH tribute band in my area called Big Suit. Perfect name.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Offspring have multiple strong entries in "worst song ever" contention. They loving suck.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Bands often have both good songs and bad songs

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I have nothing against pearl jam and eddie's supposedly a really good dude but Last Kiss was a crime against humanity and then radio perpetuated it by playing it all the loving time back in the day

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I used to go to a certain bar all the time when I was younger and there wouldn't be a single night where Hotel California didn't play 2+ times.

It got annoying but it's a decent song.

Honestly I don't know anything else they do but they sound like old, light, slow country "rock" or something.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Revins posted:

I have nothing against pearl jam and eddie's supposedly a really good dude but Last Kiss was a crime against humanity and then radio perpetuated it by playing it all the loving time back in the day

:emptyquote:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Whoever mentioned She by Greenday, thanks. I listened to it a couple times and the Welcome to Paradise and then Longview and then Sassafrass Roots and then wouldn't you know it, the whole Dookie album.

It's 29 years old.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It's 29 years old.

:cripes:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Offspring have multiple strong entries in "worst song ever" contention. They loving suck.

Agree but also same for Green Day

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

A Strange Aeon posted:

Joan Baez, the Night they Drove Old Dixie Down

Not sure if covers count but most of her stuff is just okay (Diamonds and Rust is good for being Dylan adjacent) and this one I like more than the original

You made this post just to trigger me didn't you WELL I'M NOT GOING TO FALL FOR IT

To answer the OP, Eric Clapton sucks as a person but he probably has at least 1 banger. I nominate Old Love

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Agree but also same for Green Day

That 8th grade graduation song, "Time of Your Life" is probably one of the worst pop songs of all time. poo poo voice. poo poo guitar. poo poo song. poo poo lyrics. Just the absolute loving worst.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd say that song by Blink-182 but even that sucks.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

kntfkr posted:

That 8th grade graduation song, "Time of Your Life" is probably one of the worst pop songs of all time. poo poo voice. poo poo guitar. poo poo song. poo poo lyrics. Just the absolute loving worst.

:agreed: Not worse than "Wake Me Up When September Ends" though

redshirt posted:

I'd say that song by Blink-182 but even that sucks.

I don't know enough about Blink 182 to declare them a good or bad band, but "Feeling This" owns

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Blink 182 is a lucky band.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Gologle posted:

To answer the OP, Eric Clapton sucks as a person but he probably has at least 1 banger. I nominate Old Love

If you include Cream then it’s Layla

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

29 years is the gap between Nevermind and songs like The Twist or The Locomotion.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

29 years is the gap between Nevermind and songs like The Twist or The Locomotion.

Grand Funk Railroads The Locomotion is a legit banger

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If you include Cream then it’s Layla

Cream broke up before Layla; that was Derek & the Dominos.

Cream rules, unlike Eric Clapton's entire solo career.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Xotl posted:

Cream broke up before Layla; that was Derek & the Dominos.

:doh:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Cream were so loving good. Clapton sucked without jack bruce.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

How is Eric Clapton like strawberries?

They're both better with cream.

Clapton sucks.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

free hubcaps posted:

Cream were so loving good. Clapton sucked without jack bruce.

So many of these guys that make their bones in bands and go solo follow the same path: they become known as individuals inside the band, the band breaks up due to ego conflicts, and then the individual goes and hires a bunch of guys who will do what they are told instead of fighting against the individual's genius, and then it's just poo poo because he's surrounded, if not by outright yes-men, then people who have no doubt who's in charge, paying the salaries, and has final say for songwriting and production.

Also, Jack Bruce ruled. Ginger Baker is fascinating in his own way; the documentary on him is pretty entertaining for showing a guy who seems to have lived purely in the moment and didn't have an ounce of reflection in his body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwdx08KGjUw

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

you dumbass

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2CCfxiQ5QY

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

This is forever back, but I'm reading through and someone posted a Donna Summer somg? What the gently caress is wrong with you

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I kinda like Clapton's My Father's Eyes

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

such a fun beat to play and gently caress around with

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Xotl posted:

So many of these guys that make their bones in bands and go solo follow the same path: they become known as individuals inside the band, the band breaks up due to ego conflicts, and then the individual goes and hires a bunch of guys who will do what they are told instead of fighting against the individual's genius, and then it's just poo poo because he's surrounded, if not by outright yes-men, then people who have no doubt who's in charge, paying the salaries, and has final say for songwriting and production.

:haibrow: You're describing Peter Gabriel AND Phil Collins perfectly.

Also both would almost qualify for this thread - Peter Gabriel having Sledgehammer and In Your Eyes respectively (Although I dunno if thats really good, or if Say Anything is just extremely good) and Phil Collins having In The Air Tonight and Sussudio respectively

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

I'm not sure if I like "Sugar Ray, but about Welfare Queens", "mental health isn't real" or "prison is good because crime only happens because of bad people" from Americana alone.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Whoever mentioned She by Greenday, thanks. I listened to it a couple times and the Welcome to Paradise and then Longview and then Sassafrass Roots and then wouldn't you know it, the whole Dookie album.

It's 29 years old.

29? That's almost twice the age of the average pop-punk guy's girlfriend!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Disco Pope posted:

I'm not sure if I like "Sugar Ray, but about Welfare Queens", "mental health isn't real" or "prison is good because crime only happens because of bad people" from Americana alone.

That's probably the least objectionable rock/pop/punk lyrics in the last 50 years.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Since the thread is turning into an Offspring slapfight I'm gonna pitch in that I listened to Americana a couple weeks ago for the first time since like 2001. I dunno why, I was doing a wiki walk but like through Apple Music and saw The Offspring and was like "oh poo poo, I had that CD" and loaded up Americana.

It was not a great experience but for some reason I listened to the whole goddamn thing and didn't regret a second of it. Kind of like my mind see-sawing between "this is bad" and "is this bad?"

I got home and had a weird urge to play Tony Hawk though

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

~Coxy posted:

That's probably the least objectionable rock/pop/punk lyrics in the last 50 years.

Yeah, nothing as bad as RATMs "Cops are your friend" or Dead Kennedys "Check out his interview on Rogan he has some good ideas" or Bikini Kills "Tradwife Girl"

To clarify, and to be a bit less snide, I don't think that The Offspring are necessarily deliberate conservatives or pop-punk Skrewdriver or anything, but I do think the worldview on Americana has aged like milk and it makes the mid-tier pop-punk harder to stomach (like, they're better than Bowling for Soup, but not Green Day or Blink 182. They come in at about a New Found Glory). I had that record back in the day, I don't want to ruin anyone's nostalgia about it and definitely don't want to imply its politics reflects on them.

The Offspring, on Americana, come off very much like suburbanites who wanted to make a "State of the Nation" album but took the Jerry Springer show seriously. It all feels a bit mean-spirited and a little elitist with distance, so if I was half-cut and wanted some brain-erasing pop-punk, they'd probably be the last place I'd go. Even album stand out "The Kids Aren't Alright" seems to blame the characters for their situations when other punk bands can also tell stories about why someone "dropped out and had a couple of kids", and rather than be scandalised like a 50s housewife, talk about that experience. There's a lack of empathy and derision of the underclass on that album, which feels antiethical to its influences.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 15, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I wish your mom had no offspring

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lmao

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ElectricSheep posted:

Since the thread is turning into an Offspring slapfight I'm gonna pitch in that I listened to Americana a couple weeks ago for the first time since like 2001. I dunno why, I was doing a wiki walk but like through Apple Music and saw The Offspring and was like "oh poo poo, I had that CD" and loaded up Americana.

It was not a great experience but for some reason I listened to the whole goddamn thing and didn't regret a second of it. Kind of like my mind see-sawing between "this is bad" and "is this bad?"

I had Americana on tape as a teenager and I loved it, but semi-recently I realized that my attention span grew enough from my childhood to listen to all of "Pay the Man". Anything is possible.

Their first five albums were basically the soundtrack to my preadolescence.

quote:

I got home and had a weird urge to play Tony Hawk though

Weird? :raise:

edit:

Milo and POTUS posted:

:owned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

So the Offspring started using new engineers after Smash and goddamn does the cleaner production/mixing really highlight the fact that Dexter Holland can't sing for poo poo. Like it was kind of endearing on their earlier albums, or at the very least it fit with the rougher style. I heard one of their newer songs on the radio a few days back and the vocals are absolutely drenched in autotune, it sounds hilarious.

Anyway you're all wrong and the good Offspring song is actually "Bad Habit."