Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If you include Cream then it’s Layla

Cream broke up before Layla; that was Derek & the Dominos.

Cream rules, unlike Eric Clapton's entire solo career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

free hubcaps posted:

Cream were so loving good. Clapton sucked without jack bruce.

So many of these guys that make their bones in bands and go solo follow the same path: they become known as individuals inside the band, the band breaks up due to ego conflicts, and then the individual goes and hires a bunch of guys who will do what they are told instead of fighting against the individual's genius, and then it's just poo poo because he's surrounded, if not by outright yes-men, then people who have no doubt who's in charge, paying the salaries, and has final say for songwriting and production.

Also, Jack Bruce ruled. Ginger Baker is fascinating in his own way; the documentary on him is pretty entertaining for showing a guy who seems to have lived purely in the moment and didn't have an ounce of reflection in his body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwdx08KGjUw

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Hammu-rob-i posted:

Anybody got recs for Sisters of Mercy? Corrosion is the poo poo but the 80's reek is just behind stage with them from where I'm standing

They have four pretty distinct periods: their pre-album days, then each of their three studio albums, which all sound pretty different from each other.

Pre-album: Alice, Heartland, Body Electric
First and Last and Always: Nine While Nine, No Time To Cry, Marian
Floodland: Most peoples' favourite. I think it sucks, but This Corrosion and Lucretia are the two big ones.
Vision Thing: Bad in a different way, can't even name a popular highlight though

I think with First and Last and Always they somehow manage to make the 80s sound work for them and come across as organic, while with Floodland it's a similar sound being just a couple of years later, but pushed to 11 with Steinman producing and it goes over the top into bombastic 80s schlock for me (like it seems to do for you) instead of a naturalistic 80s piece, if that makes sense.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 16, 2023