Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
it's difficult to explain, but there's a certain type of post on twitter that basically just serves to demonstrate that the author knows about a particular historical fact or topic, but the topic in question is incredibly well-known and basic. people across the political spectrum will cheerfully post a picture of a ww2 plane with bullet holes any time the topic of survivorship bias comes up. people seem convinced that this shows intelligence and historical acumen when it really makes you look like you learned everything you know from cracked.com

here are a few examples of historical reference memes that are played out to the point of pain:

- The aforementioned survivorship bias plane

https://twitter.com/Duderichy/status/1660291386883571714

https://twitter.com/upzone_CA/status/1633000123516219392

https://twitter.com/oncloud_e/status/1665074708239499265

- The demon core (for some reason, this seems to have recently become a furry/anime meme)

https://twitter.com/FruitzJam/status/1695665400325849217

https://twitter.com/gahhnie/status/1695819478427386100

- charles ii of spain

https://twitter.com/JonnElledge/status/1648454579334569985

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1648453714183864321

if you have other good examples, by all means, post them. i love a good wiki binge, but nothing makes me roll my eyes like people digging up entry-level wiki binge entries and treating them like they've struck gold

Aglet56 has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Sep 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
idk what any of those things are sorry about all your twitter friends bad posts..

:horse:

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Those are some p interesting facts op, ty

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I had never heard of any of this, ty

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I post goatse

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
https://twitter.com/Thatsmy91000715/status/1699368882933244097

bet you didn't know this one op

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

my bony fealty posted:

I post goatse

sick of all these selfies

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

whew chile

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

people do that "it's actually sparkling fascism" "it's actually sparkling racism" "it's actually sparkling pedophilia" joke that is just repeating this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE4NyXL5JAQ

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

anyways it's not really a historical reference but I'm pretty sick of the "ya don't gotta hand it to ISIS" format and would like to never see someone attempt to do a joke with it again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

wow people are posting dumb poo poo on Twitter. Stop the presses lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

In Training posted:

wow people are posting dumb poo poo on Twitter. Stop the presses lol

what presses

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

people do that "it's actually sparkling fascism" "it's actually sparkling racism" "it's actually sparkling pedophilia" joke that is just repeating this:

Unless they posted it more than a month ago it’s just sparkling X.com jokes :smug:

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

karl marx

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

this post is like that time freakin napoleon conducted the motherbitchin battle of austerlitz!! twice!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

anyways it's not really a historical reference but I'm pretty sick of the "ya don't gotta hand it to ISIS" format and would like to never see someone attempt to do a joke with it again

For most of those the "The Worst Person You Know Just Made A Great Point" guy would be more appropriate.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
gas

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
:gas: the cockpit, wings, and tail

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
let people enjoy things like the demon core imo

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

ive gotten very tired of this one

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Megamissen posted:

ive gotten very tired of this one

it sucks!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
this thread is like birdshit island

quote:

It was said that the islands gave off a stench so intense that they were difficult to approach. They were a clutch of dry, granitic mounds thirteen miles off the Peruvian shore, about five hundred miles south of Lima on the west coast of South America. [...] Predators and prey both are preyed upon by the Peruvian booby, cormorant, and pelican. All three have nested on the Chincha islands for millennia. Over time they have covered the islands with a layer of guano as much as 150 feet thick.

[...]

Supplying European farmers with guano would involve transporting large quantities of excrement across the Atlantic, a project that understandably failed to enthuse shipping companies. Within several decades, though the picture changed. Agricultural reformers throughout Europe had to begun to worry that the ever-more intense agriculture necessary to feed growing populations was exhausting the soil. As harvests leveled off and even decreased, they looked for something to restore the land: fertilizer.

At the time, the best known soil additive was bone meal, made by pulverizing bones from slaughterhouses. Bushels of bones went to grinding factories in Britain, France, and Germany. Demand ratcheted up, driven by fears of soil depletion. Bone dealers supplied the factories from increasingly untoward sources, including the recent battlefields of Waterloo and Austerlitz. "It is now ascertained beyond a doubt, by actual experiment upon an extensive scale, that a dead solider is a most valuable article of commerce,' remarked the London Observer in 1822. The newspaper noted that there was no reason to believe that graver robbers were limiting themselves to battlefields. "For aught known to the contrary, the good farmers of Yorkshire are, in a great measure, indebted to the bones of their children for their daily bread."

From this perspective, avian feces began to seem like a reasonable item of commerce. A few bags of guano appeared in European ports in the mid-1830s. Then Justus von Liebig weighed in. A pioneering organic chemist, Liebig was the first to explain plants' dependence on nutrients,, especially nitrogen. In his treatise Organic Chemistry in Its Application to Agriculture and physiology (1840), Liebig criticized the use of bone fertilizer, which has little nitrogen. Guano was another story [...]

Guano mania took hold. [...] In forty years, Peru exported about 13 million tons of guano, [receiving] for it approximately $13 billion in today's dollars. It was the beginning of today's input-intensive agriculture - the practice of transferring huge amounts of crop nutrients from one place to another, distant place according to plans dictated by scientific research.

Hoping to take maximum advantage of the guano rush, Peru nationalized the Chinchas. Soon it discovered that nobody wanted to work on the islands. Except for birds, their only inhabitants were bats, scorpions, spiders, ticks, and biting flies. Not a single plant grew on their barren slopes. Worse, the islands had no water, every drop had to be shipped in. Because the land was blanketed in guano, miners worked, ate, and slept on shelves of ancient excrement. So little rain fell that the soluble materials in the guano never washed away - it remained studded with crystals of ammonia nitrate, which broke in corrosive clouds around miners' shovels. Powdery an acrid, the guano went into miners' carts, which were pushed up rails to a depot atop one of the seaside cliffs. From the cliff,. men dumped tons of excrement through a long canvas tube directly into the bellies of the vessels below. Slamming into the hold, guano dust exploded from the hatchways, shoruding the ship in a toxic fog. Workers wore masks made from hemp, smeared with tar, one visitor noted:

quote:

but the guano mocks at such weak defenses...[T]hey are unable to remain below longer than twenty minutes at one time. They are then relieved by another party, and return on deck perfectly naked, streaming with perspiration, and with their brown skins thickly coated with guano.

The government could have paid high wages to get workers to endure these terrible conditions, but that would have cut into profits. Instead it stocked the islands with a mix of convicts, army deserters, and African slaves. This arrangement proved unsatisfactory: the convicts and deserters killed each other, and the slaves were so valuable that their mainland owners did not wish to part with them.

In 1849 Peru gave up trying to run the mines itself and awarded an exclusive concession to Domingo Elias, Peru's biggest cotton grower and one of its principal slave owners. [...] In return for the monopoly, Elias was supposed to mine guano with his own slaves, but he, too, was reluctant to take them away from his cotton fields. He induced the government to subsidize merchants who imported immigrants. Prominent among these subsidized importers was Domingo Elias. By the time the law passed his agents were already in Fujian, waving labor contracts in the faces of illiterate villagers.

In standard indenture practice, the contracts promised the Chinese would pay for their passage by working, typically for eight years, in the newly discovered California gold fields. (The actual destination was not mentioned.) The ruse was plausible: agents for US firms were in Fujian at the same time, telling a similar lie as they sought indentured servants to build railroads. People who signed the bogus Peruvian contract were conducted to bleak human warehouses in Amoy (now called Xiamen, on an island across from the river from Yue-gang), and later, Macao. People who refused to sign were often kidnapped and shipped to the same warehouses. In these dark confines slavers burned the letter C - for California, their ostensible destination - into the backs of their ears. No longer were the men described as workers. Their new name was zhuzai, 'little pigs.' "None were let outside," wrote the Shanghai historian Wu, Ruozeng. "Those who resisted were whipped; any who tried to escape were killed."

[...] Peru represented the worst passage, the direst conditions, the most dreaded destination. Ultimately at least 100 000 Chinese were taken there. Conditions en route can be compared to those in the transatlantic slave trade. Perhaps one out of eight zhuzai died. As on the Atlantic slave ships, revolts were common. Eleven mutinies are known to have occurred on Peru-bound vessels; at least five bloodily succeeded.

[...]At any given time between one and two thousand were on the Chincha Islands. In classic divide-and-conquer fashion, Elias forestalled rebellion by setting his African slaves as overseers over his Chinese slaves and holding both to strict deadlines. Spasms of cruelty, slave upon slave, were the inevitable result. Guano miners swung their picks up to twenty hours a day, seven days a week, to fulfill their assigned daily quotas (as much as five tons of guano); two-thirds of their pay was deducted for room (reed huts) and board (a cup of maize with some bananas). Failure to meet the daily quota was rewarded with a five-foot rawhide whip. Minor infractions were punished by torture. Escape from the islands was impossible. Suicide was frequent. One overseer told a New York Times correspondent that:

quote:

more than sixty had killed themselves during the year,...chiefly by throwing themselves from the cliffs. They are buried, as they lived, like so many dogs. I saw one who had been drowned - it was not known whether accidentally or not - lying on the guano, when I first went ashore. All the morning, his dead body lay in the sun; in the afternoon, they had covered it in a few inches, and there it lies, along with many similar heaps, within a few yards of where they were digging.

So many Chinese died that overseers marked off an acre of guano as a cemetery.

Journalistic exposés of guano slavery created an international scandal that gave the Lima government an excuse to eject Elias and renegotiate the guano contract with someone else, thus procuring a second round of bribes. Fulminating against the evils of official corruption, Elias sought to regain his lucrative concession by twice staging a coup d'état. Both attempts failed. In 1857 he tried the legal route, running for president without success.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Dreylad posted:

huh. had no idea this existed. interesting.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Dreylad posted:

Sir, This Is A Wendy's

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
oh yeah? well the jerk store called and they're running out of YOU

DarkSithLord
Apr 14, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

lobster shirt posted:

this post is like that time freakin napoleon conducted the motherbitchin battle of austerlitz!! twice!

lol

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

that Finnish sniper

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

this is unfortunate, but sadly predictable. after all, "Those Who Do Not Learn History Are Doomed To Repeat It."

palindrome has issued a correction as of 13:12 on Sep 7, 2023

DarkSithLord
Apr 14, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
i really didn't expect to have a "worn-out basic-rear end historical references on twitter" thread on my 2023 bingo card but here we are i guess

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

DarkSithLord posted:

i really didn't expect to have a "worn-out basic-rear end historical references on twitter" thread on my 2023 bingo card but *checks notes* here we are i guess

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

no one:
absolutely no one:
worn-out basic-rear end historical references on twitter: unpopular opinion this thread lowkey goated and slay fr fr? not my rear end! sksksksksksksksks

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DarkSithLord posted:

i really didn't expect to have a "worn-out basic-rear end historical references on twitter" thread on my 2023 bingo card but here we are i guess

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I don't use Twitter, but I assume there's a lot of GeneralSherman.jpg from libs

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DarkSithLord posted:

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
hitler

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
illuminati

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

worn out basic rear end sa threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nobody has heard of this guy.