Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
how long does trump go to jail for?
life
no jail time
elected president from a jail cell
goku
View Results

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

lol just hearing news they kicked out the speaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

unrelated, watching this great polish psa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=retUHusHONE

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Cum is passe. Yesterday's news.

:o

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

ˇtarumba!

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Turdfuzz posted:

*starts shouting "Shame! Shame! Shame!" uncringingly*

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

CaptainBeefart posted:

I'm going to the Spaghetti Warehouse
oh my god it's really called that

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Ol sakkman posted:

Should add a burning monk in that pic of the rear view mirror for lastgirl

she tugs at the web of indra

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

echoes of echoes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AUO2duz6NA

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Tttttaurumpp

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Tblum

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

I work with animals and decided to play a game with a macaw.

This parrot lifts its wing, I lift my arm. He bobs his head, I bob my head.

After a couple iterations he inches down the branch and takes a big poo poo.

I can’t do that here at work. He wins.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Apparently the bank is shut down for “Presidents Day” what the loving christ

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-jdNS95Rm0

quote:

The translation is made in Leonine verses (i.e. verses with both quantitative structure and rhyme). The structure of the song consists of a strophe, an antistrophe, and an epode. The strophe and the antistrophe are each composed of two distichs, where the first verse is made of two anapaestic feet (two short and one long syllable) followed by an Ionic ā minōre (two short and two long syllables) and the second verse is made of three anapaestic feet - so it's basically the same metre of the first one, in a catalectic form. The rhyme scheme for each of them is ABAB.

This is also the scheme of the recitative strophe of the introduction. The epode is composed of three strophes:

1) a distich identical to the preceding ones, with rhyme scheme AB,

2) a strophe made of four verses consisting of an anapaestic foot followed by an Ionic ā minōre, with rhyme scheme AABB,

3) a strophe made of five verses, the first two with the same metre as the preceding strophe, the second two with the same metre as the even verses of the distichs of the strophe and antistrophe, and the last consisting of a unique anapaest, with rhyme scheme AABCC. This structure is repeated twice, the two iterations being separated by a recitative prosastic part. In the original English version, the structure is the same but with amphibrachys (a foot less popular in Latin) instead of anapaests (except for the distich in the epode, which has anapaests and Ionics as well).

Scar's Latin is of an educated, archaizing type echoing the register of the original English. Traits of this register are: the fall of final /s/ after short vowels before words with consonantal onset ("hebentibu'" - a popular trait, hence shared by hyaenas' "optimu'"), obsolete nominal and verbal inflected forms ("fameī", "faxō"), elevated Hellenisms ("dogmata", "logos" - in contrast with hyaenas' more trivial Hellenisms "euge", "sophōs").

As an anti-Augustan, Scar also wants to appear as an "optimus princeps" (a term typical of the Augustan propaganda) and cites in the distichs of the epode the most important Author of that propaganda, Vergil, in particular the most propagandistic piece, Eclogae IV ("redeunt Sāturnia rēgna / (oritur)(et) nova prōgeniēs", vv. 6-7; "aderit jam tempus(:) honōr(um)(ēs)", v. 48, as well as "bona turba, favēte mihī", where "favēte" echoes "casta favē, Lūcīna", v. 10). "Duce mē/tē" itself echoes "tē duce" of v. 13. "Per tempora dūrō" echoes Catullus' "obstinātā mente perfer, obdūrā" (8,10).

However, Scar's deepest nature is Epicurean. Hence, his true favorite poet is not Vergil, whom he uses only for political purposes, but Lucretius, as it's clear from his use of some of this poet's favorite terms, like "retinentia", and the S decidua itself.

platzapS has issued a correction as of 08:13 on Feb 29, 2024

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Trump of glad jubilee
echo o'er land and sea
Freedom for all

(original DTA song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyuWpHtcvtc)

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Biden killed it tonight and his predecessor couldn't even stream a video.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

emfive posted:

seriously though I can inhale a tremendous amount of air

emfive posted:

I had to get a checkup in 2009 so I could get life insurance and the lady said my lung capacity was "bizarre".
lol

Also, props to OUR BOY for the stiff upper lip. If someone took away my myriad estates I would certainly cry.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

the milk machine posted:

pickles are good for you, they help you get your daily recommended allowance of brine

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

CaptainBeefart posted:

I'm holding out for a 6'3" 239lb cheese deal...

I am 6'3'' and roughly trump's build. I'm 300 pounds. i conclude that Trump is absolutely gossamer, some sort of carbon nanotube spider silk man

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

the perfect voluminous president

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

wood burns

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

In a theoretical scenario of being in jury selection, do you think the judge would let you get your Trump thread book signed by the big boy himself?

i think trump would be intimidated by me

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Real Mean Queen posted:

I've had enough of this, good night!

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

tumep

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

nonvegan margarine only please

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

woah wait there is animal-based margarine huh

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

higher than the good year blimp

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

i eat so many shrimp
I've got iodine poisoining

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Tob

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

just spit brown listerine on the floor in a way that was entirely my fault and boy am i furious
by brown do you mean Chocolate or Hickory?

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

trob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Toffee is another good brown List'