Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Oz9CrhYJg

Outlaw Johnny Black is a parody film starring, written, and directed by Michael Jai White and featuring several other key figures from the production of White’s previous film, Black Dynamite. BD became an internet sensation in 2009 and achieved enough success to spawn its own spin-off adult animated series on Adult Swim, and ever since, White has been attempting to get a spiritual successor that worked the same comedy out of the blaxploitation genre that Black Dynamite did out of the Western. After several false starts and a failed crowdfunding campaign, the film is finally complete following the foundation of White’s own production company Jaigantic, and will be seeing a release in theaters on September 15th, 2023.

While on a quest for vengeance for the death of his father, Johnny Black disguises himself as a preacher in a town whose bank that his father’s killer plans to rob, but encounters difficulties hiding his sinful lifestyle from the pious standards of his facade.

Anyways, it seems like pretty much everyone agrees Black Dynamite is a masterpiece, but I can’t find anyone on the internet talking about this film. Sometimes I don’t understand this industry. Maybe it’ll totally suck, but I thought that trailer was pretty alright, so I wanted to open this thread to at least put some eyeballs on it and make people aware. I’m not even crossing the picket line by posting this thread, because the film has a SAG-AFTRA interim agreement. https://twitter.com/MichaelJaiWhite/status/1694365319652086088

Outlaw Johnny Black is hopefully coming to a theater near you, and not one an hour’s drive away like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's missing Scott Sanders, the director and one of the credited writers on Black Dynamite, so we'll see how that affects things.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'll have to check where this is showing next weekend

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
I want to be excited about this, but what elevated Black Dynamite to classic status was that it completely nailed the look and feel of the movies it was parodying. This absolutely does not. It looks like what it is, and the shots in the trailer are all very poor. I doubt it will be able to overcome that.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

I've been eagerly awaiting this since the first teaser was released, thought the pandemic finally killed it off but here we are!

I second the sentiments above, it's disappointing the visuals arent as spot on as BD were and it looks like the content will be significantly toned BUT I can't loving wait.

Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer though as I can't find a UK release date.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Black Dynamite is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen so at the very least this will get a watch out of me.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Black Dynamite did gain a lot from being shot on Super 16 and I imagine due to budget constraints (they couldn't even make a $100,000 crowdfunding campaign work) they had to go for plain digital HD for this one. It's a bummer for sure. I'm also not surprised by how bad some of the shots in the trailer are given this is White's first time directing. I can really only hope the script is good enough to carry it but either way I'm happy to support it even if it disappoints me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I guess it would've been too obvious, but it's a crime that Michael Jai White wasn't cast as Rudy Ray Moore in that biopic that came out a while back. I mean, I loved Eddie Murphy in that role but White was the perfect age, had the look, and had already showed his love for low-budget blaxploitation. Plus, you know, martial artist.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

Black Dynamite did gain a lot from being shot on Super 16 and I imagine due to budget constraints (they couldn't even make a $100,000 crowdfunding campaign work) they had to go for plain digital HD for this one. It's a bummer for sure. I'm also not surprised by how bad some of the shots in the trailer are given this is White's first time directing. I can really only hope the script is good enough to carry it but either way I'm happy to support it even if it disappoints me.

Can't watch the trailer yet but that might just kill it for me. The film grain took it from funny enough enthusiast film to feeling like a lost artifact.

I hope I'm wrong!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well dang. Doesn’t look like there’s any showtimes anywhere near me. I don’t see anything in the state.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I remember spending cash on the not kickstarter campaign about 5 or so years ago. I wonder if I'll still be getting my copy

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm also not surprised by how bad some of the shots in the trailer are given this is White's first time directing.

i'm very sure he directed the Never Back Down sequels, and i'll leave that information otherwise uncommented on.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

I guess it would've been too obvious, but it's a crime that Michael Jai White wasn't cast as Rudy Ray Moore in that biopic that came out a while back. I mean, I loved Eddie Murphy in that role but White was the perfect age, had the look, and had already showed his love for low-budget blaxploitation. Plus, you know, martial artist.

Him having an actual martial arts background might be a detriment since Rudy's stuff often looked pretty clumsy

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Anyone else back this on the indiegogo campaign? I was supposed to get a Blu-ray as a reward but from what I see on Twitter and such they have been silent about all campaign stuff.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Forgot to follow up saw it, was a
really quite good. It's not the same level of Black Dynamite but it's a solid comedy in the Blazing Saddles vein. It doesn't quite hit the same quality as Blazing Saddles (even lifting a joke straight from it).

But it was a blast to any fans of the genre. the wanderer from Kung Fu shows up in the final battle and is never commented upon has got to be my favorite sight gag.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Very annoyed I missed a narrow window to catch this in theaters!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

checkplease posted:

Anyone else back this on the indiegogo campaign? I was supposed to get a Blu-ray as a reward but from what I see on Twitter and such they have been silent about all campaign stuff.

Yeah I backed it immediately but have heard nothing from them about this. I don't mind so much not getting a physical copy but I do at least want a download.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The film is now out on all digital stores in the US - $20 to own, $7 to rent.

I never came back and posted my thoughts on the film in here which is that it's generally pretty good as long as you accept that this is not a laugh-a-minute comedy in the style of Black Dynamite but rather a serious attempt at a plot where they fit in a joke when they can - there's a bit of Christian moralizing in here but if you're not opposed to that it's still a pretty satisfying outlaw revenge flick.

That being said I cannot recommend it in good faith because God drat this movie is problematic with a capital P. All the Native Americans in this film are portrayed by white people in cheap Spirit Halloween costumes who make the language by speaking gibberish (there's a gag where the words "black guy" slip into the language even,) there's a running gag where someone is forced to marry a member of the tribe who is referred to as a "daughter" but is obviously a very large man, and one of the central plot points of the film revolves around a Revenge of the Nerds-style "that's legally rape, dude" scene where someone has sex with someone else under a case of mistaken identity. Sorry if that makes me come off as Tumblr-ish but I really do think this stuff is egregious enough to be inexcusable, especially the Native American stuff. It's really surprising and disappointing coming from Jai White.

I don't know what went on with any of the crowdfunding campaigns, I honestly didn't back them because I didn't think this movie would actually come out. I hope you all get your dues soon.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Ugh, that stuff is a real turn off. You can show respect to 'sploitation cinema without needing to do anything of that kind of poo poo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I don't really need to see poo poo like that just done at face value, weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

you really couldn't do blazing saddles today (joking)