Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Oz9CrhYJg

Outlaw Johnny Black is a parody film starring, written, and directed by Michael Jai White and featuring several other key figures from the production of White’s previous film, Black Dynamite. BD became an internet sensation in 2009 and achieved enough success to spawn its own spin-off adult animated series on Adult Swim, and ever since, White has been attempting to get a spiritual successor that worked the same comedy out of the blaxploitation genre that Black Dynamite did out of the Western. After several false starts and a failed crowdfunding campaign, the film is finally complete following the foundation of White’s own production company Jaigantic, and will be seeing a release in theaters on September 15th, 2023.

While on a quest for vengeance for the death of his father, Johnny Black disguises himself as a preacher in a town whose bank that his father’s killer plans to rob, but encounters difficulties hiding his sinful lifestyle from the pious standards of his facade.

Anyways, it seems like pretty much everyone agrees Black Dynamite is a masterpiece, but I can’t find anyone on the internet talking about this film. Sometimes I don’t understand this industry. Maybe it’ll totally suck, but I thought that trailer was pretty alright, so I wanted to open this thread to at least put some eyeballs on it and make people aware. I’m not even crossing the picket line by posting this thread, because the film has a SAG-AFTRA interim agreement. https://twitter.com/MichaelJaiWhite/status/1694365319652086088

Outlaw Johnny Black is hopefully coming to a theater near you, and not one an hour’s drive away like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Black Dynamite did gain a lot from being shot on Super 16 and I imagine due to budget constraints (they couldn't even make a $100,000 crowdfunding campaign work) they had to go for plain digital HD for this one. It's a bummer for sure. I'm also not surprised by how bad some of the shots in the trailer are given this is White's first time directing. I can really only hope the script is good enough to carry it but either way I'm happy to support it even if it disappoints me.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The film is now out on all digital stores in the US - $20 to own, $7 to rent.

I never came back and posted my thoughts on the film in here which is that it's generally pretty good as long as you accept that this is not a laugh-a-minute comedy in the style of Black Dynamite but rather a serious attempt at a plot where they fit in a joke when they can - there's a bit of Christian moralizing in here but if you're not opposed to that it's still a pretty satisfying outlaw revenge flick.

That being said I cannot recommend it in good faith because God drat this movie is problematic with a capital P. All the Native Americans in this film are portrayed by white people in cheap Spirit Halloween costumes who make the language by speaking gibberish (there's a gag where the words "black guy" slip into the language even,) there's a running gag where someone is forced to marry a member of the tribe who is referred to as a "daughter" but is obviously a very large man, and one of the central plot points of the film revolves around a Revenge of the Nerds-style "that's legally rape, dude" scene where someone has sex with someone else under a case of mistaken identity. Sorry if that makes me come off as Tumblr-ish but I really do think this stuff is egregious enough to be inexcusable, especially the Native American stuff. It's really surprising and disappointing coming from Jai White.

I don't know what went on with any of the crowdfunding campaigns, I honestly didn't back them because I didn't think this movie would actually come out. I hope you all get your dues soon.