Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

MononcQc posted:

tea is v good and I got one of these fancy kettles with configurable temperature and it makes it even better

as I may have mentioned at the start of the thread I have a zojirushi water boiler and it has changed my life wrt tea and other things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if you use a pressure cooker you can get water up to about 115c which obv makes for some extremely fast tea action

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

if you use a pressure cooker you can get water up to about 115c which obv makes for some extremely fast tea action

pro tip

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
have to use a microwave to boil my water when i drink tea in the office. like a loving animal

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

have to use a microwave to boil my water when i drink tea in the office. like a loving animal

jesus christ dude thats fuckin brutal

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

my sweet simple wife says heating water in the microwave is the same as using a kettle :cripes:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

post hole digger posted:

my sweet simple wife says heating water in the microwave is the same as using a kettle :cripes:

is she a caveman?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
back on my pu'erh bullshit, its the good stuff

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

post hole digger posted:

Serious question - if your goal is "boil some water", what makes a microwave different than a kettle?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Poopernickel posted:

Serious question - if your goal is "boil some water", what makes a microwave different than a kettle?

kettle heats up a larger amount of water at once and actually boils it so it reaches a high temperature and stays warmer for longer. a microwave just isn't very good at boiling water.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

it takes a long time and you have no idea what the water temp is when youre done, plus your tea bag just kinda floats on top of the water instead of pouring kettle water onto the tea bag.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Poopernickel posted:

serious answer: if you have to ask you’ll never know

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

post hole digger posted:

it takes a long time and you have no idea what the water temp is when youre done, plus your tea bag just kinda floats on top of the water instead of pouring kettle water onto the tea bag.

i agree that microwaves take too long to properly heat up a single cup. but if you're heating something to boiling you probably know what temp it is. also you could just pour it into a mug that has your teabag in it for that hot pouring action

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I always follow the rules and heat my tea water to the temperature it says to on the package.

a man must have a code.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
microwaving your cup of water too much can result in superheating it and the water exploding in scalding steam

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not too much too it: a bit slower, need to be tended as it's likely to make a mess if you just let it violently boil for minutes, and honestly i think it well worth it to spend an extra $20 to get a kettle with temperature control and keep-warm.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goblin week posted:

microwaving your cup of water too much can result in superheating it and the water exploding in scalding steam

skill issue

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

not too much too it: a bit slower, need to be tended as it's likely to make a mess if you just let it violently boil for minutes, and honestly i think it well worth it to spend an extra $20 to get a kettle with temperature control and keep-warm.

microwaving the water low and slow at 10% power for 4 hours for perfect southern style bbq tea

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

goblin week posted:

this gets bandied about a lot but i think the risks are overstated. also just put a toothpick in it or something. it just needs some nucleation substrates

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
microwaves: no good for boiling water, even though the way a microwave works at all is by boiling water

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

DELETE CASCADE posted:

microwaves: no good for boiling water, even though the way a microwave works at all is by boiling water

you mean microwave isn’t very good? no way

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

post hole digger posted:

microwaving the water low and slow at 10% power for 4 hours for perfect southern style bbq tea

You gotta freeze it first to put a crust on it

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Tried a different rooibos brand because my normal one was out. Tastes like grass clippings

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
got some earl gray here

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
american electric kettles still take forever to boil. 240v mains is the one thing I miss from britain

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Soricidus posted:

american electric kettles still take forever to boil. 240v mains is the one thing I miss from britain

i agree they take a while in comparison but tbh i hit the kettle on then go draw a couple shots for an americano in the mornings and it's ready by the time i am so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

mediaphage posted:

this gets bandied about a lot but i think the risks are overstated. also just put a toothpick in it or something. it just needs some nucleation substrates

this mf drinks homeopathic toothpick soup

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i drink green tea over ice every single morning, out of an old pickle jar.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Silver Alicorn posted:

idk it gets pretty undrinkable if you don't take the tea ball out soon enough

lol i love to steep my tea for ages like a sicko

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

fart simpson posted:

you mean microwave isn’t very good? no way

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

goblin week posted:

this mf drinks homeopathic toothpick soup

no i have a kettle

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
yea yea tea all day but you have a whiskey at 9 am one time

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive swapped from green tea to egpytian blue lotus tea. (which is actually a lilly and i get mine from sri lanka..... but it IS blue) (which, believe it or not, my last purchase was via some random etsy store. Im living life on the edge for my tea fix)

Looks like green tea, has a smoother taste

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i kinda want a fancy temperature controlled kettle, but tbh my current go-until-it-boils electric kettle is fine and i use a meat thermometer (it doesn't touch meat) to check the water temperature

my favorite tea is best steeped at around 155 despite it claiming 175 is the correct temperature

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Smythe posted:

i drink green tea over ice every single morning, out of an old pickle jar.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

IMO except for the following flavoured/herbal teas are not great, either lacking body or just tasting grassy. Good flavoured teas are:
Early Grey
Mint tea (with or without green tea)
Fennel
Jasmine (sometimes)
Lemon and ginger

I tend to drink a lot of green tea with mint or oolong (labelled in my supermarket as green tea for some reason) since breakfast tea would be the only use I'd have for milk and I'd never get through one of the fresh bottles in time.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

my kettle is the stovetop variety that whistles very loud when ready

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Gnossiennes posted:

i kinda want a fancy temperature controlled kettle, but tbh my current go-until-it-boils electric kettle is fine and i use a meat thermometer (it doesn't touch meat) to check the water temperature

my favorite tea is best steeped at around 155 despite it claiming 175 is the correct temperature

how are you getting water to remain liquid that far above 100

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Soricidus posted:

how are you getting water to remain liquid that far above 100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gnossiennes posted:

the oxo pourover is very needs suiting. easy to read dial, quick boil for 2-3 cups of tea or coffee, etc