Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

lapsang souchong

cheaper to just boil hot dogs and drink that

rotor posted:

yeah that was one of the two things i learned about Good Tea - if you get good tea you can use the leaves 4 or 5 times and the flavor peaks on the 2nd or 3rd

im sure you know this but this is highly tea dependent. plenty of good teas are single use only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

goblin week posted:

i drink the nastiest loving earl gray lipton that i steep for 15 minutes

:chloe:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i like mint tea at night but there is varying quality for sure

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol my so loves it. i just really think it tastes like hot dog water

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

ima head downstairs and make some tea

ima head down south to the land of the pines

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tk posted:

What kind of hot dogs are you buying?

go look in the toronto thread

but it’s not that surprising. both lapsang souchong are smoked

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

post hole digger posted:

it takes a long time and you have no idea what the water temp is when youre done, plus your tea bag just kinda floats on top of the water instead of pouring kettle water onto the tea bag.

i agree that microwaves take too long to properly heat up a single cup. but if you're heating something to boiling you probably know what temp it is. also you could just pour it into a mug that has your teabag in it for that hot pouring action

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

goblin week posted:

microwaving your cup of water too much can result in superheating it and the water exploding in scalding steam

this gets bandied about a lot but i think the risks are overstated. also just put a toothpick in it or something. it just needs some nucleation substrates

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Soricidus posted:

american electric kettles still take forever to boil. 240v mains is the one thing I miss from britain

i agree they take a while in comparison but tbh i hit the kettle on then go draw a couple shots for an americano in the mornings and it's ready by the time i am so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

goblin week posted:

this mf drinks homeopathic toothpick soup

no i have a kettle

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gnossiennes posted:

i kinda want a fancy temperature controlled kettle, but tbh my current go-until-it-boils electric kettle is fine and i use a meat thermometer (it doesn't touch meat) to check the water temperature

my favorite tea is best steeped at around 155 despite it claiming 175 is the correct temperature

the oxo pourover is very needs suiting. easy to read dial, quick boil for 2-3 cups of tea or coffee, etc

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

probably. the geolocation is loving with redirects on my phone. i’m sure it’s more expensive now than when i bought it regrettably

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

oxo poo poo ain't that great, it's the same walmart level quality but they slap a nice grip on there and charge $10 more for it. no i do not have a superior kitchen gadgets brand to recommend, sorry

i was specifically making a recommendation on a kettle that i explicitly have experience with, not making a blanket statement about brands but go off king

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

luv my dirty brown water

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

making some earl grey

the drag queen of teas

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

don’t fully understand this but sounds rad :cheers:

it's just very a lot and kinda fruity

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

just like captain Picard likes

i mean have you seen his gf lwaxana she’s kind of a lot too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

apparently the fact that i like tea is making the rounds and I'm getting tea as gifts and i have so much goddamn tea now, i have more tea than i could possibly drink in 5 months

sounds like a challenge 2 me op

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

*while staring at the dude holding a scalding hot mug of steeping tea* CHUG CHUG CHUG

good ol’ tim tea-bong

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

got my tea rig runnin

i’d drink that tea

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

i never knew tea lights were for..that. it all makes sense now. i take it you go through a candle a day?

lmao what a wholesome fact to learn

depends on how long you want to keep the tea hot really but that’s not an unreasonable goal. you are burning indoors tho and you can smell it. on the plus side 50 packs of tea lights tend to be pretty cheap

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

had a nice big mug of peppermint tea tonight

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

you know

i think if you really were drinking tea all day you might start to get some funny looks

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

i want tea i can drink at night. even white teas can have a significant amount of caffeine, which i guess leaves either decaffeinated or teas that aren't tea

anyone know of good decaf? i'd prefer loose chinese stuff but i guess it's not vital. i'm also open to non-tea teas, but i'll admit being skeptical. i have ginger tea and it's better than nothing but it'd be cool to have more tea-ish tea for nighttime

i've yet to have a good decaf tea. there are finally some good decaf coffees (especially if you roast yourself) but the teas have always been flavourless. hopefully someone can point out a good one.

lots of good other options though. it's not to my taste really but how do you feel about rooibos? my local shoppe also puts out a really good herbal chai blend

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

oh dang i didn't know they made that in decaf. constant comment owns. if they have lady grey too i'll straight crap myself

don't get me wrong, i'd prefer chinese, but im stoked that this exists

update: they do

sorry about your undies

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

i'm not, it was totally worth it

least you got to be warm for a fragile moment

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tea proportioned into bags??? how posilutely plebeian

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah my guy drinks that stuff on the reg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Midjack posted:

love it. supposedly it got started as a drink for the lower class since the rice meant they could use less tea but idgaf, everyone loves it now.

seems like most of the good food and drinks are like this