Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Dillion wrong or right to lie to Dutch?
Dillion was right to lie to Dutch
Dillion was wrong to lie to Dutch
View Results

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Dillion uses Dutch's rescue team to kill all of the military leaders and people in a base who would have gone on to lead a major invasion in the coming days. He does this because he knows that it's extremely difficult terrain and the base is well guarded, and Dutch's team has the highest chance of success, given Dillion's available personnel and resources.

Dutch and his team feel betrayed because they are exclusively a rescue squad, and don't do assassination types of jobs.

One could argue that if Dillion had waited, he could have let the invasion happen, then use Dutch's team. However, the team would likely not have been able to rescue everyone, given that the invasion that was about to happen was probably going to be large scale. Dutch's team is small and specializes in individuals and small groups. So by using Dutch's team to perform the assassination by lying to him about the nature of the mission, they saved way more lives that otherwise would have been possible if they just let the invasion happen.

Or, one could argue that lying to a rescue squad is bad use of personnel. Dillion should have chosen the best assassination team available to him. Additionally, you never know if everyone you want to hit is going to be at the site when you arrive, or if they're going to be there at all. There can be all kinds of unforeseen elements (such as the predator)... this is the 80's, so drone / high tech / satellite video is not available. The best thing available are spies, and spies can be wrong.

Your thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFFgbc5Vcbw, OP

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bula Vinaka posted:

Dillion uses Dutch's rescue team to kill all of the military leaders and people in a base who would have gone on to lead a major invasion in the coming days. He does this because he knows that it's extremely difficult terrain and the base is well guarded, and Dutch's team has the highest chance of success, given Dillion's available personnel and resources.

Dutch and his team feel betrayed because they are exclusively a rescue squad, and don't do assassination types of jobs.

One could argue that if Dillion had waited, he could have let the invasion happen, then use Dutch's team. However, the team would likely not have been able to rescue everyone, given that the invasion that was about to happen was probably going to be large scale. Dutch's team is small and specializes in individuals and small groups. So by using Dutch's team to perform the assassination by lying to him about the nature of the mission, they saved way more lives that otherwise would have been possible if they just let the invasion happen.

Or, one could argue that lying to a rescue squad is bad use of personnel. Dillion should have chosen the best assassination team available to him. Additionally, you never know if everyone you want to hit is going to be at the site when you arrive, or if they're going to be there at all. There can be all kinds of unforeseen elements (such as the predator)... this is the 80's, so drone / high tech / satellite video is not available. The best thing available are spies, and spies can be wrong.

Your thoughts?

You son of a bitch! Got you pushing pencils??

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

also OP, if Dillon did not lie to Dutch there would be no storyline for the classic 1987 movie, "Predator," therefore Dillon was right to lie to Dutch

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Still waiting on the buttfucking producers cut of Predator but sadly it may be lost to us

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Anytime.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Apparently Sonny Landham (Billy) was a legit maniac who had a bodyguard hired by the studio to keep him from getting into fights every day.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bula Vinaka posted:

Your thoughts?

It was a rescue mission? Who was the rescue target? It has been a long time since I have seen that movie

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

haljordan posted:

Apparently Sonny Landham (Billy) was a legit maniac who had a bodyguard hired by the studio to keep him from getting into fights every day.

I have heard this multiple times from different sources.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

"He's not here to protect me from you. He's here to protect you from ME"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Bill Duke passing time by dry shaving in the jungle

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

It was a rescue mission? Who was the rescue target? It has been a long time since I have seen that movie

Ostensibly some Central Americans, but the real mission was to recover Alien tech. By any means necessary.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

Bill Duke passing time by dry shaving in the jungle

You can tell when he snaps and goes nutso because he removes his hat.

edit: Predator is one of my all-time favorite RiffTrax movies, right up there with "Stone Cold" and "Road House".

haljordan fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 9, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

pro starcraft loser posted:

"He's not here to protect me from you. He's here to protect you from ME"

from what I heard, that is literally Billy

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Ostensibly some Central Americans, but the real mission was to recover Alien tech. By any means necessary.

they did their best, but, the alien blew it up in a contained explosion

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

After Jesse Ventura gets killed, every single member of the team just indiscriminately opens fire into the jungle for what seems like 4 or 5 minutes non-stop. Exactly how much ammo were they carrying?!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MWNy0a0A0g
here is Gary Busey recapping the ending of Predator

haljordan posted:

After Jesse Ventura gets killed, every single member of the team just indiscriminately opens fire into the jungle for what seems like 4 or 5 minutes non-stop. Exactly how much ammo were they carrying?!

all of it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

haljordan posted:

it was an 80's action movie. As long as you pull the trigger the gun will fire

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it was an 80's action movie. As long as you pull the trigger the gun will fire

Hell some of the time you didn't even need to bother with the trigger.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I ain't got time to bleed lol

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
What was the name of the big pussy joke magazine and is it still in business?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

haljordan posted:

Hell some of the time you didn't even need to bother with the trigger.

the 80's were a wild time

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

the 80's were a wild time

That scene in Total Recall where Arnold uses some random guy as a bullet shield up an escalator.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Jeez you got a big pussy!

Jeez you got a big pussy!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I like how they made Shane Black wear the most embarrassing pair of granny glasses ever.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

That scene in Total Recall where Arnold uses some random guy as a bullet shield up an escalator.

that's the one you went for, not the one where he takes his own head off then kills four or five people?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Did the eyeglass guy even kill anyone or was he there just for the pussy jokes?

iirc he had some wimpy uzi while the others were carrying chainguns and grenade launchers

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol when the Predator says MOTHERFUCKER in Predator 2

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that's the one you went for, not the one where he takes his own head off then kills four or five people?

Yes, the casual death of the complete innocent feels like it summarizes the 80's perfectly, IMO.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Icochet posted:

Did the eyeglass guy even kill anyone or was he there just for the pussy jokes?

iirc he had some wimpy uzi while the others were carrying chainguns and grenade launchers

He killed the Predator franchise.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

happyhippy posted:

He killed the Predator franchise.

nah Prey was good and popular enough that it finally got a physical release

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Shane Black also wrote Last Action Hero, which I think was criminally underrated

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

that Shane Black Predator movie was loving dire, though

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

haljordan posted:

Shane Black also wrote Last Action Hero, which I think was criminally underrated

Last Action Hero was a good movie, I will fight anyone who says otherwise!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I liked "Predators" a lot.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

redshirt posted:

I liked "Predators" a lot.

I feel like that was definitely a paycheck movie for Adrien Brody but he surprisingly didn't phone it in and actually tried.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

haljordan posted:

Hello.

Last Action Hero fan here.

It's right where it needs to be for critical and fan appreciation.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

haljordan posted:

I feel like that was definitely a paycheck movie for Adrien Brody but he surprisingly didn't phone it in and actually tried.

He got swole, that's for sure.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Hello.

Last Action Hero fan here.

It's right where it needs to be for critical and fan appreciation.

It was ahead of the "ironic meta" curve by a good decade, Arnold is a true innovator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I didnty think about it that hard op