Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Dillion wrong or right to lie to Dutch?
Dillion was right to lie to Dutch
Dillion was wrong to lie to Dutch
View Results

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Predators was great because it expanded the concept sincerely AND well done, I loved the entire idea of Predators recruiting murders and serial killers to hunt. I loved that Topher was the actual last bad guy.
I loved that the final girl lived and won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Bula Vinaka posted:

Dillion uses Dutch's rescue team to kill all of the military leaders and people in a base who would have gone on to lead a major invasion in the coming days. He does this because he knows that it's extremely difficult terrain and the base is well guarded, and Dutch's team has the highest chance of success, given Dillion's available personnel and resources.

Dutch and his team feel betrayed because they are exclusively a rescue squad, and don't do assassination types of jobs.

One could argue that if Dillion had waited, he could have let the invasion happen, then use Dutch's team. However, the team would likely not have been able to rescue everyone, given that the invasion that was about to happen was probably going to be large scale. Dutch's team is small and specializes in individuals and small groups. So by using Dutch's team to perform the assassination by lying to him about the nature of the mission, they saved way more lives that otherwise would have been possible if they just let the invasion happen.

Or, one could argue that lying to a rescue squad is bad use of personnel. Dillion should have chosen the best assassination team available to him. Additionally, you never know if everyone you want to hit is going to be at the site when you arrive, or if they're going to be there at all. There can be all kinds of unforeseen elements (such as the predator)... this is the 80's, so drone / high tech / satellite video is not available. The best thing available are spies, and spies can be wrong.

Your thoughts?

Obviously it depends on what ethical framework you are using. Kantian deontology would say that lying is never right, regardless of the consequences. A consequentialist argument aka utilitarian would be that as you said the good done by preventing an invasion outweighs the negative consequences of lying to Dutch and his team. After all if Marxist guerillas managed to overthrow a legitimate American imperial dictator in South America it could lead to a chain of rebellions and overthrows of legitimate American puppet dictatorships, which could make rich people less rich, the only consequence worth considering. An Aristotelian would say that humans must live their best lives, and arguably Dutch’s best and highest use was to fight an interstellar tourist who hunted humans for sport.

In the end it’s really a matter of point of view, and we are not even remotely aware of the ethical framework of the alien, which perhaps would outweigh merely human concerns. Perhaps the Predator had accepted Jesus Christ in the form of the Mormon faith, with big JC as it’s lord and savior, the ritual killings were to satisfy the Mormon doctrine of blood atonement a very real doctrine that sinners should be killed in such a way that their blood falls on the ground, so that the sinner did not become a son of perdition.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Obviously it depends on what ethical framework you are using. Kantian deontology would say that lying is never right, regardless of the consequences. A consequentialist argument aka utilitarian would be that as you said the good done by preventing an invasion outweighs the negative consequences of lying to Dutch and his team. After all if Marxist guerillas managed to overthrow a legitimate American imperial dictator in South America it could lead to a chain of rebellions and overthrows of legitimate American puppet dictatorships, which could make rich people less rich, the only consequence worth considering. An Aristotelian would say that humans must live their best lives, and arguably Dutch’s best and highest use was to fight an interstellar tourist who hunted humans for sport.

In the end it’s really a matter of point of view, and we are not even remotely aware of the ethical framework of the alien, which perhaps would outweigh merely human concerns. Perhaps the Predator had accepted Jesus Christ in the form of the Mormon faith, with big JC as it’s lord and savior, the ritual killings were to satisfy the Mormon doctrine of blood atonement a very real doctrine that sinners should be killed in such a way that their blood falls on the ground, so that the sinner did not become a son of perdition.

I'm rooting for The Predator.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

This is my Predator.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

This is my Predator.

That was Jean Claude Van Damme.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

That was Jean Claude Van Damme.

Still a lol every time

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Bula Vinaka posted:

Dillion uses Dutch's rescue team to kill all of the military leaders and people in a base who would have gone on to lead a major invasion in the coming days. He does this because he knows that it's extremely difficult terrain and the base is well guarded, and Dutch's team has the highest chance of success, given Dillion's available personnel and resources.

Dutch and his team feel betrayed because they are exclusively a rescue squad, and don't do assassination types of jobs.

One could argue that if Dillion had waited, he could have let the invasion happen, then use Dutch's team. However, the team would likely not have been able to rescue everyone, given that the invasion that was about to happen was probably going to be large scale. Dutch's team is small and specializes in individuals and small groups. So by using Dutch's team to perform the assassination by lying to him about the nature of the mission, they saved way more lives that otherwise would have been possible if they just let the invasion happen.

Or, one could argue that lying to a rescue squad is bad use of personnel. Dillion should have chosen the best assassination team available to him. Additionally, you never know if everyone you want to hit is going to be at the site when you arrive, or if they're going to be there at all. There can be all kinds of unforeseen elements (such as the predator)... this is the 80's, so drone / high tech / satellite video is not available. The best thing available are spies, and spies can be wrong.

Your thoughts?

you are one ugly motherfucker

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

Still a lol every time

I think he quit because the Predator never did the splits

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I wouldn't lie to Dutch but I also have no illusion I'd last more than a day.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Early in the movie, Arnie finds the remains of a special forces team led by Jim Hopper. The implication is that the ‘lie to Arnie’ plan was a back up option after Hopper had failed. This further tips the moral balance in favour of lying.

The real question is whether the predator was right to lie to his wife that he was just popping out to a nearby planet to pick up some groceries when he actually was going hunting.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Early in the movie, Arnie finds the remains of a special forces team led by Jim Hopper. The implication is that the ‘lie to Arnie’ plan was a back up option after Hopper had failed. This further tips the moral balance in favour of lying.

The real question is whether the predator was right to lie to his wife that he was just popping out to a nearby planet to pick up some groceries when he actually was going hunting.

Bro that's what the Predator does!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
they were maniacs with heavy weapons. One of them brought a mini-gun to the mission. If they were a rescue team the only thing they were gonna rescue was a corpse

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

they were maniacs with heavy weapons. One of them brought a mini-gun to the mission. If they were a rescue team the only thing they were gonna rescue was a corpse

Bro you never know what you'll need.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

redshirt posted:

Bro that's what the Predator does!

“Honey, you knew I was a Predator when you married me.”
<Dumps a pile of spinal cords and skulls on the floor of the laundry room>

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

yeah they just sound prepared to me

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Bro you never know what you'll need.

the fuckin alien had a nuke and still couldn't take out Dutch

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

He never expected MUD ATTACK!!!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Between this and the e/n thread about the guy whose wife sabotaged his dinner by adding chick-fil-a sauce to it after he swore to never eat chick-fil-a again because of lgbtq solidarity, my brain is really having to put in some extra work.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

redshirt posted:

He never expected MUD ATTACK!!!

quote:

The film provided a variety of hardships for the actors, such as leeches, snakes, stifling humidity, heat, and rough terrain. All of the night scenes were filmed during freezing cold temperatures, which was especially hard on Arnold Schwarzenegger during the latter half of the film, when the mud he had to wear (actually pottery clay) became cold and wet. He was warned it would take his body temperature down a few degrees, and he shivered non-stop, even when they tried to heat him with lamps (it just made the clay dry out). He tried drinking jagertee, a schnapps mixture, to warm him, but that just got him drunk.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

ya Dutch is bad as poo poo, if the Predator had seen Dutch and Dillon's handshake he prob. wouldn't have hosed around so hard

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Torquemada posted:

Between this and the e/n thread about the guy whose wife sabotaged his dinner by adding chick-fil-a sauce to it after he swore to never eat chick-fil-a again because of lgbtq solidarity, my brain is really having to put in some extra work.

that is a sentence I didn't expect to read today

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

haljordan posted:

The film provided a variety of hardships for the actors, such as leeches, snakes, stifling humidity, heat, and rough terrain. All of the night scenes were filmed during freezing cold temperatures, which was especially hard on Arnold Schwarzenegger during the latter half of the film, when the mud he had to wear (actually pottery clay) became cold and wet. He was warned it would take his body temperature down a few degrees, and he shivered non-stop, even when they tried to heat him with lamps (it just made the clay dry out). He tried drinking jagertee, a schnapps mixture, to warm him, but that just got him drunk.

This is amazing.

redshirt fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 9, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

ya Dutch is bad as poo poo, if the Predator had seen Dutch and Dillon's handshake he prob. wouldn't have hosed around so hard

lol he'd be like "drat I don't any of that!"

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Bula Vinaka posted:

Your thoughts?

He literally did send a kill team in first, they were the dead dudes they find hanging in the trees

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The OG Predator is a wimpy bitch, I bet his day job was being a failson dentist back on Predworld. Takes out Hawkins and Blaine from behind, snipes Mac, snipes Dillon’s armament away before daring to go in close, probably stealthed right up Billy’s rear end and stabbed him from behind too. He can’t even kill Dutch with a fuckin’ nuke, just fuckin’ shameful from start to finish.

P2 is the GOAT Pred. Hardly bothers with the plasmacaster, takes on whole bunches of coked up dudes, gets up close and personal with his spear, blades, and nets, takes on a gaggle of badass soul-taking Jamaicans, gives King Willy pride of place in his trophy wall, and went pure melee on an entire subway train of insane Americans, the dude had balls of steel. Plus he let the kid and the pregnant lady go because his momma didn’t raise no scrub.

Torquemada posted:

I lolled harder than I have in weeks. This site continues to be incredible value for money.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

P2 is the GOAT Pred. Hardly bothers with the plasmacaster, takes on whole bunches of coked up dudes, gets up close and personal with his spear, blades, and nets, takes on a gaggle of badass soul-taking Jamaicans, gives King Willy pride of place in his trophy wall, and went pure melee on an entire subway train of insane Americans, the dude had balls of steel. Plus he let the kid and the pregnant lady go because his momma didn’t raise no scrub.

He also cut a murderously unhinged intense early 90's Gary Busey in half without even thinking about it with a sweet frisbee

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Predator went out for some “smokes” and never came back to the poor bastard at home (cause he nuked himself). That’s why his son went on a crime spree in P2, and grandpa and his uncles have to clean his poo poo up so it doesn’t reflect poorly on the fam

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Along with Pred 2 Predator, the one from AvP2 Requim, Wolf, was pretty badass. He took out a lot of Xenomorphs by his lonesome.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

the predator in Prey was pretty badass, he took down a bear in a fistfight

got 0wned by underestimating the girl who actively wanted to be a hunter, tho

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ3VglSyGRI

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

haljordan posted:

Apparently Sonny Landham (Billy) was a legit maniac who had a bodyguard hired by the studio to keep him from getting into fights every day.

*reads wikipedia page*

Oh wow yeah I believe it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The funniest story about Predator has to be the one where Carl Weathers wouldn't work out around the other guys and would do it early in the morning so they'd think he was naturally just jacked.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

The OG Predator is a wimpy bitch, I bet his day job was being a failson dentist back on Predworld. Takes out Hawkins and Blaine from behind, snipes Mac, snipes Dillon’s armament away before daring to go in close, probably stealthed right up Billy’s rear end and stabbed him from behind too. He can’t even kill Dutch with a fuckin’ nuke, just fuckin’ shameful from start to finish.

OG predator hunts elite soldiers, pretty much the toughest people on the planet. And there ain't no shame in losing to peak '80's Arnie.

P2 just bought a bunch of tacticool weapons from the Predator mall, since he thought nets, spears and a space frisbee made him look badass. Didn't feel like roughing it out in the jungle so just hangs out in LA like a tourist. Plus even Danny Glover regularly admits that "he's too old for this poo poo" but P2 still managed to get his rear end handed to him by an senior citizen.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Hollismason posted:

The funniest story about Predator has to be the one where Carl Weathers wouldn't work out around the other guys and would do it early in the morning so they'd think he was naturally just jacked.

quote:

Jesse Ventura pulled a prank on Arnold Schwarzenegger by pouring water over himself while at the gym before Arnold arrived. Thinking that Ventura was drenched in sweat, Arnold believed that Ventura was working out longer than he usually did. He resolved to begin his workouts sooner. He and Ventura both started arriving earlier to one up each other until they both started to arrive at 4 am.

This is also extremely loving funny:

quote:

Jesse Ventura was delighted to find out from the wardrobe department that his arms were one inch bigger than Arnold Schwarzenegger's. He suggested to Schwarzenegger that they measure arms, with the winner getting a bottle of champagne. Ventura lost, because Schwarzenegger had told the wardrobe department to tell Ventura that his arms were bigger.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 10, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

OG predator hunts elite soldiers, pretty much the toughest people on the planet. And there ain't no shame in losing to peak '80's Arnie.

P2 just bought a bunch of tacticool weapons from the Predator mall, since he thought nets, spears and a space frisbee made him look badass. Didn't feel like roughing it out in the jungle so just hangs out in LA like a tourist. Plus even Danny Glover regularly admits that "he's too old for this poo poo" but P2 still managed to get his rear end handed to him by an senior citizen.

You tell that back at Predator school. "No shame" losing to some mammal? They don't even know who Arnie is.

SHAME!!!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

haljordan posted:

This is also extremely loving funny:

lmao Arnold pulling Pumping Iron pranks on Jesse Ventura

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

quote:

Colonel Al Dillon[1] was a CIA agent operating in South America, covertly combating the communist rebel movement in Guatemala.
Perhaps Predator's motivations were ideological. These capitalist pig-dogs had come to harm his comrades in the interplanetary struggle against space capitalism.

This would explain a lot.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
i wish they'd kept the shirtless beach volleyball scene

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

lmao Arnold pulling Pumping Iron pranks on Jesse Ventura

Arnold is one of the most hilarious people to ever live, he tricked Stallone into doing "Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxYrTe7LDp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbz5cRXS2Mk&t=198s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Perhaps Predator's motivations were ideological. These capitalist pig-dogs had come to harm his comrades in the interplanetary struggle against space capitalism.

This would explain a lot.

Is it just a coincidence the Predator was in 80's Nicaragua, seemingly in direct violation of Ronald Reagan?