Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

When you're a kid, you get certain impressions about things given the way they get presented to you and how parents act with them. Many of these impressions you later in life learn were completely wrong.

One of the classics is things that you, as a child, thought were something special, something fancy, probably expensive, because they only showed up on special occasions, and probably rarely.

...and then you grow up, and figure out that no, these things aren't actually special at all, they're readily available at regular stores and aren't any more expensive than similar stuff either.

There are, of course, the two classics:

Now, my example of this is a soda.

I don't even remember exactly the occasion or location I associated with it, I think it was my grandfather's place but might also have been our summer house, but I definitely remember it being something I thought was special, because it was one of those things that I only got to drink at special times. It was something I mentally sorted as different from those regular sodas we used to have at home. Better. Fancier.

But, of course, a regular soda was exactly what it was. A regular soda available at the regular grocery stores. I've had it for lunch at work occasionally, which definitely isn't a fancy or special occasion.

So, what things did you have this revelation about? Of course, it doesn't have to be food-relatd stuff, but that's definitely something I feel this is common with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Wine. Kind of like how TV writers think "smart people only listen to jazz", wine was what rich people drank on Monday Night Mysteries, and therefore must be expensive. (I was from beer-&-whiskey territory, obviously.) I also thought there were more servings per bottle than there actually is. It's what, 3ish per standard bottle?

Later on, one of my uncles would buy jug wine, and I had one of his empty jugs to put pennies in. :)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Wine. Kind of like how TV writers think "smart people only listen to jazz", wine was what rich people drank on Monday Night Mysteries, and therefore must be expensive. (I was from beer-&-whiskey territory, obviously.) I also thought there were more servings per bottle than there actually is. It's what, 3ish per standard bottle?

Typically 5, restaurant bottle pricing is usually the same as 4 individual glasses at the same establishment so you get one serving ‘free’

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Way back when Burger King was a rare occasional treat, the rarer visit to a full sit-down restaurant seemed incredibly fancy. Things like Olive Garden, or even *gasp* Chili's! Awesome Blossoms, the first delicacy imaginable :v:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Viennettas are definitely fancy. I had never had one until a few years ago when they brought them back to the US, it's the most basic rear end vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup, but it's totally fancy.

The champagne of grape juice!! So fancy! So elegant! You get to drink it out of a special glass on New Years Eve!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

big dyke energy posted:

Viennettas are definitely fancy. I had never had one until a few years ago when they brought them back to the US, it's the most basic rear end vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup, but it's totally fancy.

The champagne of grape juice!! So fancy! So elegant! You get to drink it out of a special glass on New Years Eve!

I mean, those look something like this here:

Edit: I suppose I should post content.

For me it was this:

Yep, we ate plenty of bread of course, but just like, make a sandwich with the cold slices.

A couple times per year though, my dad would gather the family together, bring out this old toaster, grab an extension cable, and put the toaster on the middle of the table. You see, the spring had been broken since before I was born so he had to pop the toaster manually to prevent the bread from catching on fire. Making toast and eating it together was a whole special family Event.

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 09:56 on Sep 13, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Carbon dioxide posted:

For me it was this:

This image isn't displaying for me, and when I tried to load it in a new window the website said "Sorry, you have been blocked You are unable to access russellhobbs.co.za". :tinfoil:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Just an image of a toaster I pulled off a random site. I reuploaded it to imgur now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

big dyke energy posted:

This, but Martinelli's instead, just look how fancy that is, gold everywhere!

We make a big show of pouring a glass for my nephew on every family holiday, even though half the family doesn't even drink booze. :3:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Captain Hygiene posted:

Way back when Burger King was a rare occasional treat, the rarer visit to a full sit-down restaurant seemed incredibly fancy. Things like Olive Garden, or even *gasp* Chili's! Awesome Blossoms, the first delicacy imaginable :v:

Olive Garden and Red Lobster were the height of fine dining to my mind growing up. It was weird finally realizing they were mostly poo poo (endless breadsticks/cheddar bay biscuits being the exception)

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Elviscat posted:

We make a big show of pouring a glass for my nephew on every family holiday, even though half the family doesn't even drink booze. :3:

I remember this and it's really crazy how all of the adults who made it a thing are alcoholics

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Cable TV
Indoor plumbing
Heat
Credit cards
Name brand clothes
Cars that weren't rusty

Can you tell I grew up in poverty? I thought opening a steel door in the ground to climb into an underground concrete box to prime the well pump was a somewhat normal thing to do every day.

Lotsa spiders down there.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Olive Garden and Red Lobster were the height of fine dining to my mind growing up. It was weird finally realizing they were mostly poo poo (endless breadsticks/cheddar bay biscuits being the exception)

Going to Red Lobster in my youth meant you had to dress a bit nicer.

Macy's Department Store. Where I grew up was a couple of hours away from the nearest one. Belk and Penney's were one town over, but it was a trip to go to the Macy's, Gap or Banana Republic. You were fancy in middle school if your gym clothes wre in a Gap bag.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Macy's Department Store. Where I grew up was a couple of hours away from the nearest one. Belk and Penney's were one town over, but it was a trip to go to the Macy's, Gap or Banana Republic. You were fancy in middle school if your gym clothes wre in a Gap bag.

I love how often "fancy" as a kid just means "takes a special trip." There are several restaurants that still register as fancy to me entirely because the nearest locations were in the big city that was a full day's drive away from where I grew up, where we'd only go maybe once a year -- mortifyingly, one of them is Arby's. My mom loved Arby's, and it was in the fancy mall in the big city! Special occasion dining!!

Also, anywhere that gave you cloth napkins, because you could put those in your lap to show you had good manners. I don't know why my parents focused so hard on napkin etiquette when I got of age to start going with them to sit-down restaurants, but by God, if I go to a place with a cloth napkin it's going in my lap.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Antivehicular posted:

I love how often "fancy" as a kid just means "takes a special trip."

This was TGI Friday's when we were kids - there was one about a 50 minute drive away from us in a retail/business park that also had a UCI cinema. Both were rarely visited and seemed like such a Big Deal when we did. Especially TGIF's because it had dark wood panelling, antiques on the walls (we always tried to sit at a table under a moose head), Tiffany lamps and a bar in the middle.

There was an independent department store in the nearest city as well, which I remember as being the ultimate in sophisticated opulence but mostly because it was in a big Victorian building and as well as being full of expensive-looking stuff of every sort had a sort of library-like quietness to it that made it seem important and grand. Actually it was because it was perpetually on the brink of bankruptcy and looking at photos of the time it was a crumbling Victorian wreck with some awful 1970s decor inside.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Our "fancy" restaurant was Ryan's buffet, since we only went for birthdays.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Emily Spinach posted:

Our "fancy" restaurant was Ryan's buffet, since we only went for birthdays.

I miss eating 20 yeast rolls at that place as a kid

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
We were more of a Ponderosa and Chi Chis family, but the neighbors dug Ryans.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Name brand anything -- food, clothes, shoes, etc.

Individual appliances, like, toasting bread in a toaster instead of in the oven, electric egg beaters, stuff like that.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Sizzler however was Not Fancy and Actually Gross

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Albuquerque, anything in or to do with it. Go to the Albuquerque Walmart and buy a copy of Battleship? Better place those pegs with your pinky extended.

My family would go there for anything we couldn't get in our town or Santa Fe. Ironically Santa Fe actually is kinda fancy.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

What's that thing called where everybody gets a tiny pan for frying food on a small electric or alcohol burner while you're at the table? That.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

YeahTubaMike posted:

Name brand anything -- food, clothes, shoes, etc.

I grew up in the 70s and name brand sports shoes (sneakers, tennis shoes) were pretty much Keds or Converse. I usually ended up with Trax (K-Mart's brand). As long as they lasted the whole school year, they were good enough. My other school clothes came from K-Mart or, if times were good, JC Penny's. In high school, I was more into cords than jeans and had to have Levi's. I would end up getting two, maybe three pair for the whole year.

Way off brands of sports shoes were called "cat heads", but I have no idea why.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

The 3DO and the Philips CD-i. Looking at the advertisements in magazines, my child brain didn't understand how anything could look SO different from my SNES. These must be serious, hi-tech systems for ADULTS.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The two-story mall that was about an hour away. It was sooo huge! I now live ten minutes from there, and go there for lunch.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Cars with cloth seats. I was born in 1980, but all the families I knew had early 70s or earlier beater cars with vinyl that would burn the backs of your legs in summer, usually with no seatbelts in the back. In about 1988 my dad got a company car with his new job and it was a Toyota carolla with cloth seats and a tape player, and we were absolutely NEVER allowed to eat in it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Air conditioning. Grandma had AC in her house and her car. The height of decadence and luxury.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Elviscat posted:

martinellis is way better than most wine

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Grassy Knowles posted:

Sizzler however was Not Fancy and Actually Gross

I have a vivid memory of going to Applebees when I was about 4 or 5 and thinking "this is worse than microwaved food at home" and drat if it isn't the most correct thing I've ever said. Peaked early.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

PinheadSlim posted:

I have a vivid memory of going to Applebees when I was about 4 or 5 and thinking "this is worse than microwaved food at home" and drat if it isn't the most correct thing I've ever said. Peaked early.

Applebees for a long period really did just microwave their food so you were quite astute

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The first "super" Wal-Mart I saw in the early 90s' blew my goddamned mind.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

sizzling steaks and lava cakes (on a sizzling plate) were The poo poo and your parents hate it when you wanted to eat those because it meant having to wash their hair and change clothes immediately at home

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Middle schoolers in full hot topic gear

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stairs.

Most houses here are one storey so if you had a second floor in your house? Wow.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Ordering pizza by phone

Owning a PC *and* a game console

Wood panelling on walls

Glass blocks in bathroom

Candy/sweets/cakes from abroad

Door bells with a melody

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

laserghost posted:

Ordering pizza by phone

Lol, yes. We grew up far enough out of town that we couldn't do that at home. I remember visiting our cousins one times and being in awe at them just ordering a stack of Papa John's...with dipping sauce too :aaaaa:
Truly we feasted like kings on that day!

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

definintely hoss' steak and sea house.

https://hosss.com/

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Stairs.

Most houses here are one storey so if you had a second floor in your house? Wow.

My ex from Texas and another friend from Georgia said the same thing to me and it blew my mind, where I live single story homes (without basements) are by far the exception and not the rule. You know what’s fancy though? A finished basement that’s not just a moldy concrete box.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It turns out Orangina is just a normal kind of fizzy fruit juice my dad bought to keep us quiet at the grocery store and not a fancy drink reserved for special occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I thought Chinese buffets were really fancy as a kid. Especially if they had a chocolate fountain.